Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 375 Winchester shooters out there?

Default Any 375 Winchester shooters out there?

Still getting the itch to send my model 94 30-30 off to JES reboaring to get the 375 Winchester treatment.

I was comparing the energy produced by a 375 as compared to a 35 Remington and the figures were more significant on all the reloading manuals. I see that Barnes still makes a 255 grain original so I thought this would make a great little hiking rifle considering I've been shooting it since I was 8 yrs. old. From what I understand, the newer model 94 can handle moderately stout loads and the factory winchester loads without any safety issues.

Anybody shoot any game animals with a 375 winchester? A 375 Winchester (from a rifle) has more energy than a 44 magnum pistol up close, and better retained energy at 100 yds., so that I why I'm interested.

Neat cartridge! My cousin has one and my aunt carried it for years! It has accounted for quite a few moose. Biggest downfall seems to be finding ammo for it. Definitely a round for the reloader as opposed to the box of bullets every couple years crowd.

Yes, I thought so too. I'm gravitating towards eliminating all big game rifles that are 30 caliber or smaller in my possession(just my personal preference). It isn't a problem if I hunt back home either as the black bear in Northern ME are much larger (in general) than black bear up here. Likewise, the Whitetail deer are big bodied examples generally weighing far beyond 235 lbs for the big mature ones. The small weak ones die off with the 5-6 ft. of snow fall where I'm from, they get eaten by the coyote packs.

I have been thinking that a take-down Savage M24 o/u combo gun with a 375Win barrel over a 20 or 12 gauge would be a good plane-gun.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Still getting the itch to send my model 94 30-30 off to JES reboaring to get the 375 Winchester treatment.

I was comparing the energy produced by a 375 as compared to a 35 Remington and the figures were more significant on all the reloading manuals. I see that Barnes still makes a 255 grain original so I thought this would make a great little hiking rifle considering I've been shooting it since I was 8 yrs. old. From what I understand, the newer model 94 can handle moderately stout loads and the factory winchester loads without any safety issues.

Anybody shoot any game animals with a 375 winchester? A 375 Winchester (from a rifle) has more energy than a 44 magnum pistol up close, and better retained energy at 100 yds., so that I why I'm interested.
    I doubt that JES will do a 375 Winny on a model 94. As ole Jess (he ain't really old) put it to me "Winchester didn't have enough faith in the standard 94 to build a 375 on that action.....they went with a beefed up version called the 94 big bore". So I took Jess's advice and left my 94 as is and bought a pretty nice 336 Marlin for $300 and sent it to Jess and it made a dandy 375 Winchester.

I have shot several whitetails with the 375 Winchester over the years and I don't think there is a better round for the job out to 150 yards or so.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I doubt that JES will do a 375 Winny on a model 94. As ole Jess (he ain't really old) put it to me "Winchester didn't have enough faith in the standard 94 to build a 375 on that action.....they went with a beefed up version called the 94 big bore". So I took Jess's advice and left my 94 as is and bought a pretty nice 336 Marlin for $300 and sent it to Jess and it made a dandy 375 Winchester.

I have shot several whitetails with the 375 Winchester over the years and I don't think there is a better round for the job out to 150 yards or so.
    I talked to him too, he was all for taking my rifle from 30-30 to 375. I don't need to go to the max on my handloads either. Somewhere in between a 38-55, and 375 pressures would be fine I suppose. He's already converted quite a few 30-30 model 94's to 375 winchester.

I helped a buddy reload for his 375 "big bore". Factory ammo by remington seemed a bit anemic. We tried the Barnes original but had some trouble with COL. We were going to try the Hornady flat nose .375 bullet or the Hawk bullets next. The project went side ways after after a while when a 308 project cropped up instead, so we did not finish the 375. I would love to hear what others have to say about the hawk vs barnes vs hornady bullets. Seems like a fun easy shooting cartridge for close quarters work.

I had a 336 in 35 Rem converted to .356 Win and it makes a pretty potent combo, a step above the 375 for sure. If you are considering converting the 336 then give the .356 a look.

375 or 356 are nice for the handloader and would not feel underguned with either.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have a couple of the.. Win94 BB and a Marlin 375. Have yet to shoot anything other than paper with either, but I have done extensive load development and accuracy testing. PM me if you want specific load data, but know that you are fairly limited for bullet selection. I loaded all of them at one time or another but focused on the heavier ones as I figure my eventual target critters will be short range moose and or bears. Note that the 255 gr Barnes Originals come in two sizes.... .375 & .378 and you will likely have to mail order them. I think it is Hawk bullets that makes a Barnes copy and you can order with a couple different thickness of jackets and have the canalure placed were ever you instruct. As both the Barnes and Hawk bullets are over $1 a piece, I ordered a Lyman mold that throw a 265 gr gas checked flat nose. I load them to about 1900 fps and figure that should be fine for most anything at 150 yes or less...

Also note that COL is critical in the W94BB as when you run long the nose of the bullet will not clear the mag. If you don't want to seat deeper because of the canalure you can always trim your cases back a bit more.

Good luck and have fun, it's a great cartrige and fun to load.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

It appears that the 375 Winchester has just as much energy(if not more) as a full power 454 casul pistol. If all the handgun hunters drool over the 454 cartridge as sufficient, than I guess a 375 Win. carbine should at least be considered acceptable power within 100 yds. I'm getting the model 94 ready to ship out for a re-bore, as well as a re-bore on my Savage 99 to 358 Winchester. Barnes still makes an original that weighs 255 grains, should make a good bullet. Sometimes I miss carrying a model 94 when hiking, I think the 375 will bring more confidence than if it was still a 30-30.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/639...base-box-of-50

If the 375 is to small you can lay it down and go hand to paw so as to even out the fight.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think the 375 Win is a hard hitting caliber. I've tinkered with ti some in that 94 AE and in the 336. It is a modern pressure version of the old 38-55. If you rebore or rebarrel you'll want .375" bore not .378" of the 38-55.

Also I've made everything on the 307/356 Winchester case. This is a 308 case with the 30-30 size thick rim. The brass is much stronger than the 30-30 series. I've necked this to 375 and it worked fine in the Marlin with a little less pressure for same ballistics of the 375 Win. It also makes a great straight case .416 or .411 cartridge for serious close encounters of the furry kind. This is case shorter than the 375 Win by about .050" and COAL problems aren't there.

These cartridges are SAAMi spec'd at 52,000 CUP (about 56,000 psi) and cant be used in older 94s, just the newer beefed up version, the Angle Eject models. I have a Win 94, AE Big Bore, a Timber carbine and a Marlin 336 in the 375 Win chambering. These work good with that Barnes "O" 255 grain flat point bullet but we can't quite get 2000 fps from the 20" barrels with this bullet. I do trim the Winchester case off about .040" to keep the COAL at 2.560" to feed in either gun. Ruger made a model #3 in this chamber.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I purchased brass, and Barnes 255 grain bullets from Midway. The Barnes bullets were a bit pricey, but the only suitable bullet in my opinion. I hope to develop loads that approximate the pressures of a full power 30-30 load. This should yield velocities that are middle of the road I'd assume. When I say middle of the road, I mean between the 38-55 and the 375 Winchester as 30-30 operating pressure is quite a bit higher than a 38-55 but a bit lower than the 375 Winchester. I'm truly looking forward to sending the rifle off. It's hard to send off a rifle that prints 1.3"/100 yd. groups with open sights for a re-bore. At least the rifle won't collect as much dust in the gun cabinet.

I'm looking over my older Barnes reloading manual and the max 38-55 load with IMR 3031 uses 32 grains of powder and yields 1623 FPS.
    The 375 Winchester max load in this same manual uses 36 grains of IMR 3031 powder and yields 1903 FPS (20 in. barrel).

The reloading manual puts it into perspective of how much velocity I should expect when loading a cartridge that is in between the two. No need in creating loads that are too stout for my model 94 that was manufactured in 1965. The rifle is in great shape and I want it to stay that way long after I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The Barnes bullets were a bit pricey, but the only suitable bullet in my opinion.
    Check out Hawk Bullets while you're scouting components. I've found them to be simply outstanding at the velocities you're contemplating, as well as higher. I'm pushing their 300 grain 44 cals to 2300-2350 fps from a wildcat and the combo of expansion and weight retention is perfect. Slowing the bullet down to your range is equally good. I'd expect the same for your 375.

I just picked up the reloading for this gun again after several months. I looked into bullets, powders and such some more and think the 220 would be the way to go. The flatter trajectory and increased velocity makes them a bit better on paper.

I loaded what was left of the 255 Barnes bullets and they take up a lot of powder room. I don't have any other bullets, so the testing is not complete.

On another note, I am not too impressed with the 375 big bore rifle. This particular gun wears the scope to the side and has very awful iron sights. Both are very hard to get a sight picture through. I am not sure of the lever squeeze safety thing either, maybe I just have to get used to it. The gun is way too small for me also. So, I can see the caliber having it's uses for a short distance, low recoil, small framed woods gun. I am not confident in shooting this rifle like it is intended for quick snap shots or quick follow-ups. I doubt I will get much of a chance to find out how the 220g bullets do because this gun is not going to get much use unless a kid is shooting it.

Just loaded a dummy round to see if it would cycle into the chamber. The dummy round cycled flawlessly. When cycling the round slowly, the alignment of the round appeared perfectly centered to the chamber as the lever was cycled. In the picture, I have the 375 dummy round next to my 308 winchester load using 200 grain nosler partitions (too the right), and a 9.3x62 mauser 286 grain nosler custom to the left.

The 30-30 winchester operates at a max pressure of 38,000 CUP
    The 35 Remington listed max pressure is 35,000 CUP
    The 375 Winchester has a listed max pressure of 52,000 Cup

*All these figures were taken from an old Speer Manual

In the Barnes manual, the 255 grain original claims a tad over 1900 fps with three different powders from a 20" test barrel. When I see 1,800 fps over the chronograph from my 20" barreled rifle, I'll be satisfied. No need in loading any hotter n that. Don't care about accuracy, and don't care about velocity. If I did, then I've completely missed the point of an open sighted/lever action 375 Winchester. It's simply a rifle for within 150 yds. Almost every game animal I've shot in Alaska was near that range, or much closer. The rifle will be in the boat all season. I will be using this rifle/load combination on next years caribou hunt, and on a bear hunt too. It'd be nice to carry my first rifle again, but with better confidence in bear country than it's original chambering in 30-30 winchester.

Attached Images Attached Images

One guy I know said he had no problem taking an Alaskan moose at about 50 yards with one or two shots. Don't recall if he was using the Winchester factory 200 grain load or not. It's an easy cartridge to load, almost as easy as a magnum pistol case. A load using the Hornady bullet and Reloader 7 may be the one to try to beat. Wish the Hornady bullet was not so expensive. Then, there is the Sierra bullet. Have made up a primer tester to duplicate a tubular magazine to see if the Speer .375 cal., 235 grain bullet filed down will be safe to use in a tubular magazine. If so, then this may be an alternative if a cannelure tool is used to add one. Wish Marlin would bring it back out again in a stainless version as the Win. M94 is too complicated a lever action by comparison and not as adaptable as the Marlin.

One guy I know said he had no problem taking an Alaskan moose at about 50 yards with one or two shots. Don't recall if he was using the Winchester factory 200 grain load or not. It's an easy cartridge to load, almost as easy as a magnum pistol case. A load using the Hornady bullet and Reloader 7 may be the one to try to beat. Wish the Hornady bullet was not so expensive. Then, there is the Sierra bullet. Have made up a primer tester to duplicate a tubular magazine to see if the Speer .375 cal., 235 grain bullet filed down will be safe to use in a tubular magazine. If so, then this may be an alternative if a cannelure tool is used to add one. Wish Marlin would bring it back out again in a stainless version as the Win. M94 is too complicated a lever action by comparison and not as adaptable as the Marlin.

did the guy find the bullets in the moose or did they exit? It's nice to here that you were trying to adapt the cheaper speer 235 grainer. That's a real good idea. A couple passes on the nose with a file......good to go. The Canadians do it for the 356 winchester and the 250 grain speer hot cor. I'm not too excited about the absurd price of the Barnes Original bullets, but they seem to be the only ones heavy enough for my taste. What the heck makes a barnes original so dang special? They cost $47 for a box of 50. I'm going to cut one in half to observe the thickness of the copper jacket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast