Thread: Winter moose hunting

Talking Winter moose hunting

Hello all,
    I am not new to the alska hunting game at all but I am however new to moose hunting in the winter months. I will be bow hunting moose on the military bases starting on the 15th of December. My question is about moose activity in the snow. Do they seem to have any routine or wander where the food is. It is not so hard to see where they have been but any info on what there habits are in the winter would be helpful.
    Thank you

Let me get with the game wardens here on post and see if they can help pin point where they have been seeing them. Last time I did this I guess the moose weren't around the area so don;t get mad at me if they are not around a certain area . As far winter hunting last year we caught them bedded down in the willows and the next day we saw some browsing through the willows. As of last week out by Pt McKenzie ( I know not ft Rich) the moose were all in the willows eating, started to see alot activity between 0830 through 1100 or so. Coming back out around 1630-1700 we did not see one moose.

By that time of winter, I would say they are fairly stabe as far as location is concerned. They aren't out covering lots of territory. The one big thing that can move them around is weather. If we suddenly get a bunch of new snow, you will probably see them move further down the hills and hang out more on established trails/roads (anything that makes it easier to walk). This can be good and bad. They might be more accesable, but more difficult to get off the trail/road to make a legal shot depending on the specific location. If the snow levels haven't changed recently, they will typically hang around the same areas they are in from day to day as long as there is some food source.

Thanks for the info I am sure it will help me out.

Quiet tending grunts as you crunch through the snow will get you a long ways. Moose talk to each other a bunch when they're bunched up close in the winter feeding.