Thread: Rusty Water in the Gas

Default Rusty Water in the Gas

I top off the tanks in my Snow Machines as well as my River boat, at the same convenient gas station Northbound on the Parks hwy.. This fall when I was putting my River boat up, I emptied the two 15 gal plastic barrels I use for gas tanks. I had a bit over a pint of rusty water in each tank... I can see water infiltrating through the Bungs on top if they are not screwed down real tight, but even if rain somehow got in through the barrel bungs, that still doesn't explain the RUST in the water in plastic barrels... Fortunately I have a top of the line filter between the gas tanks and the motor, as well as the in-line filter on the motor... Earlier this fall, after the Boat had been put up, my grandson and I went to work on the snow machines to make sure they were ready... We started and ran all of them... That was before the real cold temps.... this weekend when we were thinking about taking a ride, my Skandic would not start... wasn't getting any gas.. I suspected frozen lines and dumped in a dose of iso-heet... The next day, after grinding on the starter for an excessive period of time, we finally got enough gas into the cylinders to burp and fire... it took several starts to get it to where it would idle on it's own... Has anyone else of late had water problems in the gas in their toys...?????

Seems this time of year is when people find their water problems so it isn't necessarily a "new" problem at all. My first outing with the sled was a battle with frozen lines as well. Got it sorted out by holding the inline filter in my hand till it thawed and running iso-heet in the gas. Seems to be doing ok now. I also fill up my toys 99% of the time at the north bound filling station on the parks. Never had a problem that I would attribute to them

LuJon,

When I buy fuel for toys from a location I don't normally use, I run everything through Mr. Funnel. I've saved myself a few potential headaches by doing this with water or particulates. I always keep one in the boat as well for harbor fueling.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    LuJon,

When I buy fuel for toys from a location I don't normally use, I run everything through Mr. Funnel. I've saved myself a few potential headaches by doing this with water or particulates. I always keep one in the boat as well for harbor fueling.
    I think that Mr Funnel idea is a good one... Next trip in to AIH or who-ever, I'm going to pick one up....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Seems this time of year is when people find their water problems so it isn't necessarily a "new" problem at all. My first outing with the sled was a battle with frozen lines as well. Got it sorted out by holding the inline filter in my hand till it thawed and running iso-heet in the gas. Seems to be doing ok now. I also fill up my toys 99% of the time at the north bound filling station on the parks. Never had a problem that I would attribute to them
    The frozen line problem with my skandic was poss on the pickup line in the bottom of the gas tank... I changed the filter the first thing... filter was ok, but no gas coming through the line... until after the Iso-Heet was added...

Sponsor

Default Sta Dri

Sta Dri makes a fuel dryer, its a water specific absorbent. it sells for about 10 bucks and you can reuse it. keeps you from adding to much other fun stuff to your fuel and adding to the problem. point is to fix it not cover it up, this product will remove the water before it gets into the system. I use them in all my sleds. make sure you remove the string before dropping it into the fuel tank. Inspect it a few times a year, if its looks to be swelled up, just remove it out of the tank and let it air dry for a week. then drop it back in and you off and running with all the water removed. works great!!!!

Sounds like you bought gas that already had water in it. For the first time I've had water in the fuel problem with my boat this summer. I filled up the two 6 1/2 gal portable tanks at the Chevron in Eagle River, and had repeated grief with my kicker this summer until I figured that source of my grief. The water was a nasty rusty goo.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

i run EVERYTHING through mr funnel. you'd be surprised what kind of crap ive seen come out of that thing.