Thread: Problem with my '95 V-Max

Question Problem with my '95 V-Max

I'm looking for a little help trying to figure out what's up with my '95 V-Max 600. I have been using this machine to haul freight out to my cabin. This weekend it started acting a little 'tired' about 15 miles into the trip, so I had to nurse it along for the last 6 or 7 miles (22 miles total, one way). The last couple of miles I had to hold the throttle almost wide open to maintain any speed.

Before the return trip I pulled the plugs, and they were a little gummed up with black crap, but not too bad. I put a new set in anyway. It ran much better on the way home, but still not quite right. Between 5,000 and 6,000 RPM it would kind of spit and sputter, like it might have been missing on one cylinder. Below 5,000 and above 6,000 it ran like a champ.

Does anybody have any ideas about this? Thanks in advance!

If you are dogging on the high end, but not the low-mids, I would suspect a clutch or belt problem. A broken or worn-out clutch spring could cause the thing to bog, then foul the plugs.

Another rabbit trail would be carb ice. If you get a lot of moisture inside the tub, carb ice can plague you, especially if your air filters/screens are loosey-goosey or disconnected, which is typical on older machines.