Thread: Annual Sea Duck Hunt

Default Annual Sea Duck Hunt

Got back from the weekend 3 day hunt with Buck Brown down in Seldovia. 4 guys, all die hard duck hunters were on staff. Denny from Montana, Frank and Gary fron Eagle River and me from Peters Creek. This is our annual sea duck hunt ......and this year with a twist. Friday "the twist" was a mallard shoot with the ducks "just dying" to get into the decoys, all day. Got 2 Dusky's as a bonus + a hand full of Golden Eye and Bufflehead. The weather was crappy and snowing and the birds were flying all day. One of the best mallard shoots I have ever had.
    Saturday the wind was out of the southeast and snow in the air. Had an outstanding Scooter shoot. I took all three species that day, which was nice. Picked up a few Barrows Golden Eye in the process.
    Sunday...the weather was crap, no wind when we started and heavy snow when I crawled into the floating blind with Denny. The ducks were slow to start flying but then the wind started to pick up. Right off we had a flock of Longtails heading our way. I picked up their calling and gave them my best "back talk. They swung wide but Denny called out, I am on the third bird. I moved back to about the 6th in the flock and at the double report we had 2 outstanding trophies hit the water. This was a first for both of us and the "high 5's " were on. I was so excited I almost could not talk. "Duck Fever" I think they called it. Anyway, we went on to pick up a few whitewings and a couple goldeneye. Frank and Gary, in the other blin were busy banging on the Greater Scaup. Quit early due to the weather. Our flight out with Smokey Bat Air was canceled due to weather so we hooked up on Mako's Water Taxi.
    All in all a great adventure and I will be back next year. Duckdondondennylongtail.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats! Sounds like a great trip! Those old sqauw sure are pretty birds.

Erich

Looks like you had an outstanding hunt, love the duck fever part as I still get it too

What call did you use on the old squaws?

Awesome!!!!!!! sounds like you had a great time..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK