Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail camera on Xmas List

Default Trail camera on Xmas List

last year I had alot of problems with my trail camera operation.
    My favorite part of the baiting is the pictures of what is going on when I am not there.
    This year I want a couple of cameras and will be in the market for better equipment.
    Please share your thoughts and reviews on cameras.. ???????
    Now is the time to get thinking about new gear ..
    Nothing like our forum here to get the skinny on the best equipment and how to make it perform.

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I've had a desire to acquire and use a trail camera for a couple years... Wanted to get a look at a bear that has been chewing on things and trying to push my door in at the cabin... However, every time I'd look at the Sales at Cabela's, or Bass-Pro I'd always read the "reviews"... most cameras the reviews are 50/50... and would make me contemplate whether or not I wanted to toss a couple hundred $$ at any particular camera or not... Last year Cabela's had a pretty good sale price on a Stealth Cam so I bought it... the instructions are not really user friendly... This particular camera requires 8 AA batteries, and batteries go fast in cool temps.. When the camera does take a picture, it's usually a very good quality photo... The other disadvantage to this particular camera is, you cannot look at any pictures in the field, you have to bring the camera back to town, hook it up to a windows type computer to view the photos... I know there are some units designed just to view the photos on the SD card or you can buy another camera to have one in the field and one at home for viewing... I couldn't really recommend this make/model of trail camera......

My buddy in ND used to be a tried and true cuddeback guy. He has swapped over to the bushnell trophy cam series of game cameras. He has taken over 14,000 pictures on one of his units and the batteries are still over halfway full (he's been using it for almost a year). I have just hung the latest/greatest model from Bushnell and am in the process of testing it out. It has been hanging outside of its specified temp range so we will see how it fares. Small/lightweight units that are great on batteries....

I have a bushnel trail cam that I bought in 07 it worked great down south. it gets so hot down south that some of the cheaper cameras won't trigger when game walks by. I haven't used it up here so i can't comment on cold weather.

I had a bushnell camera, until one of my friendly bears decided they wanted it more than me. It is now in pieces and I to am in the market for a new one. I am looking at either a new bushnell, which had easy functions and set up and took great pics, or 2 different ones from Cabelas. One of the best things about bear hunting is the pics I get every year from my trail camera. I love it and look forward to what it tells me every year. I think they are an invaluable piece of bear baiting equipment. I have baited before without one, but will not again!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I have a moultrie(?) and funny thing is I've never had the bears mess with mine, no matter how much scent and other stuff I get on it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Im going to try the Bushnell the cost isnt to bad right at $200 they work great and take good pics could doesnt bother them.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    My buddy in ND used to be a tried and true cuddeback guy. He has swapped over to the bushnell trophy cam series of game cameras. He has taken over 14,000 pictures on one of his units and the batteries are still over halfway full (he's been using it for almost a year). I have just hung the latest/greatest model from Bushnell and am in the process of testing it out. It has been hanging outside of its specified temp range so we will see how it fares. Small/lightweight units that are great on batteries....
    I'm, anxious to hear how your Bushnell is doing on the battery dept... I have two stealth-cam's and they take nice picts but are very user unfriendly in getting set up IMHO... Need to take a 12 yr old grandkid with me to program them when we set them up and turn em on..!! Batteries do not last very long in the Stealth-cams in the winter... This cycle I'm planning on using rechargable batteries to cut down on the replacement cost a little

I'll keep you updated. I hung the camera on 11-26-11 and Im planning on it being up outside for the rest of the winter. I may move it to get the camera more 'exercise' as the area its hung now is pretty dead...

Default Cudde Back Man

Stick some batts in, set your timer and hang it up! 0 complants...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Question about in field photo replay

Can anyone tell me if the Bushnell 5.0mp trail cam can replay photos in the field? In the specifics of the XLT model it shows in-field views of your photos on a 2in x 2in screen but it doesn't say that in the specifics of the 5.0 field cam. Also, does anyone know some good models that allow in-field viewing rather than having to take an SD card home for review? Thanks for the help.

I just take my sd card out and replace it with an empty one and review the new pics in my didital camera up in the tree.

Makes sense and a simple solution rather than spending more to purchase a more expensive model with field review built in. Thanks again for the tip.

Primos truch cameras 46 and 60 models have camo colors that really helps them disappear on a birch treee. The bushnell we have is all black and half the size of the cuddebacks and it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Primos is easy to set up, maintain, swap cards at site, easy ob batts, wouldn't hesitate to buy another (about $200- a couple years ago.) Takes great video in color during daytime, B & W at night.
    Bushnell took 1/2 the summer to set up correctly, ate batteries till we figured it all out, sticks out in the woods, (visually), and has a smaller "window" that it captures on film.
    In hindsight, I would get the Primos camo models, video is awesome and battery life in the summer is months. Winter the things eat batteries regardless of which model or battery I am running in them.
    BK

BKmail.... I took your advice on the Primos Truth trail cams and went to their website. After reviewing their video clips on how easy they are to set up I decided that was what I was looking for. The Primos truth 46 retails for around 159.99 with some sites offering lower prices but shipping to Alaska offsets some of the savings. I found it on Amazon for 89.99 with free shipping. Seems like a good buy. It's on the way....

If your camera is having problems eating battery adding a external battery pack would be better than trying to find a new camera and a lot cheaper. A battery pack made out of D batteries would last several times longer than a AA battery pack. Battery holder can be found for a couple of $$ they come in one, two and four batteries.

I ended getting a Bushnell and its smaller than I thought it would be.
    I have a lynx that is in my area so I am going to set it up and see what I can get .
    Thanks for all your good advice.
    I really like the looks of the cuddle back ,,
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Cuddeback's has a sales pitch that it takes the picture with the critter in the center of the screen and they seem to do that well. I do wonder if they take a picture if the creature doesn't make it to the center... but haven't tested them to determine the answer. Anyone know the answer?

Reconyx gets great reviews and has options where images can be sent to you at your computer .... however, the features cost money & service plan.

I have a couple of bushnells and they can be set up in the metal case that can be screwed/lag screwed to a tree. When bear hunting this spring, had them set out and they took pictures. Set one up in my yard after baiting season and it took lots of photos. I was surprised by the amount of people/animal traffic in our green belt and look forward to trying the movie camera option this bear season.

Default Cuddeback

not sure if this helps, but Cuddeback does not need centered of full animals in the eye to take the jpg. They are top of the food chain in my book.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also bought the promos 46. I hope this year my little black friends ( bears ), don't try and eat it. I am excited to get it up this year.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast