Thread: Wolf skulls - Tis the season

Default Wolf skulls - Tis the season

Last year I got my first wolf, a 97 lb black female. A few folks were curious as to the condition of her teeth since she was quite large for a female. Later in the year I got a 95 lb male. His skull is much larger and his teeth are prime and SCARY! As you can see, she had 1 missing canine, 1 missing molar and the opposite molar is very decayed, 1 missing front tooth, and all the teeth are very worn. I'm sure she had a fine life.

Good luck this season.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...now-the-answer!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wolf skulls 2.jpg   Wolf skulls 1.jpg  

I threw in a coyote for comparison in the pic with 3 skulls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wolf skulls 3.jpg   Coyote and wolf skulls.jpg  

This is the grey and the black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ready for tanning_2011.jpg   1st wolf.jpg  

Last one for fun. The grey is still at the tannery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coyote and wolf.jpg  

great trophies, how did you do it.... calling, trapping.....

Fergy, got lucky and caught the wolf out in the open, called in the coyote: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...now-the-answer

Great pics, thanks for posting, especially the coyote comparison shot.

Two Wolves, one winter,.... What a season
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I love the occipital crest on top of large predators skulls. It really shows you how strong there jaws are. I just cleaned a wolverine skull last week and it looked just primative and mean when I was done.

Thats pretty cool.

Those skullls are clean, a very good job, did you do them yerself?

I usually bury 'em, then soak em in peroxide, then dry and into gasoline for a couple weeks to rid them of oils and a coupl'a rinses and a drying time, they are pretty clean, but not as white, like those. Very cool.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Stranger: Yes, I did them myself. Once the skulls are meat free and clean, I mix 40% peroxide and whitening powder (from a salon) into a consistency of whipped cream and then paint the stuff on the skull with a paintbrush. Let it dry for a day or two. Repeat the peroxide and powder treatment. Let dry a day or two. Then wash/scrub the skull with a soft brush and water to remove all the powder. Let dry. Then I take elmers glue, dilute it 50/50 with warm water, mix it up, and then paint the skulls with that.

I think it's best to soak in white gas prior to all this, but I skipped that step this time.

Call me naive, but I had no idea that wolves were that huge compared to man. I'm 6' 1" and 235lbs. I have taken some coyote in Maine, I know they are significantly smaller than the wolf, but I am shocked! It almost looks like your wrestling with a bear in those pics lol! I am amazed and have a new respect for the wolf!

God Bless

Jeff

Cool, Jpost, I forgot to mention the Elmers glue........but like you I love that stuff.

Elmers sealing it up, its a great way to preserve any bone or Ivory, and we slather the 50/50 on Mammoth Tusks and chunks, teeth and bones to preserve them for carvers.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....