Thread: New to me...257 Roy. Any help?

Default New to me...257 Roy. Any help?

While browsing the Hook and Bullet over the weekend I came across a 2nd hand NIB Vanguard SMOA Sporter in .257 Wby. that somehow followed me home. Handsome rifle for the money altough it weighs about what my last caribou quarter did.

Now that I've got to feed the darn thing I'm looking for some advice prior to loading up some ammo from the few of you who've used one.

I can get the new "economy" .257 load with the Norma spitzer for the same price as empty brass so I'll likely lay in a stock of those for target work but I think I'll look for a different bullet for serious use. Frankly, I'm deeply suspicious that a cup and core will not hold up at the rated 3500fps (which by all accounts is accurate). Looks like good use for a TTSX but I've had such spotty results getting them to shoot I thought I'd look at the other options out there.

Likely just use it for caribou, the odd wolf and such, so nothing on the tough end of the spectrum.

Congratulations on a your acquisition of a great cartridge. I'm pretty sure you will like it. Check the archives because we've talked about the 257WBY a few times here...you'll get some good information. I've reported before (and I'll briefly repeat here now) that a 100grn TSX and RL-22 have been a perfect/accurate combination for me...my field experiences on multiple black bears have also sold me on this combination (I've reported details in past posts).

However, I've got to admit that the little 100 grainer looks kind of funny sitting on top of that large case...kind of resembles an old CO2 cartridge for a pellet rifle.

I too have had great results out of my .257 Bee with the 100gr RL-22 combo both on the range and in the field. 120gr Partitions shot very well also.

I have a buddy here in the heartland that uses a 257 Roy late in the coyote season when the shots get longer. He shoots 75 grain bullets he says "think of it as a 220 Swift on steroids". He's made some incredible shots with that rig! It's a good thing that the pelts aren't worth much cuz he tends to mess them up a bit!

72g RL-22 and 100-grain TSX is what I feed mine. Max load so maybe start a grain or two back and give it a try.

Same here the Reloader 22 and the 100 TSX Tipped makes a excellent load.

I use IMR 7828 and 115gr Berger VLD hunting in my WBY.

http://www.realguns.com/loads/257wm.htm
    Alaska

I don't use anything besides the 120g Partition. It is plenty tough enough for black bears, moose, caribou and deer. Don't bother using the 115g BST at anything under 200yds. I had a caribou explode when shot in the sternal notch with that little bullet screaming out at 3400fps. I just plugged two deer on Saturday with headshots. That .257 is scary-accurate.

sorry I cannot offer any "fresh" load data ... but back about 10 years or so I had the opportunity to work with 2 .257's and the one thing I will say is that the .257 "Roy" is in a class all by itself - there is really nothing negative to be said about the cartridge IMHO and soooo much fun to shoot !

Nice cartridge. I think the Kid is building one for himslef. Got more than one customer using Blaser single shots in the Roy.

I did scrounge a few boxes of the Weatherby ammo loaded with the Norma Spitzer....heck, the loaded ammo is cheaper than empty brass (go figure that?). I got a spare Zeiss Conquest mounted and boresighted so I should be ready to go shoot.

So far this cartridge is extremely interesting. The rifle is the heaviest one I own-right at 10lbs. There's nothing particularly heavy but they certainly made zero effort to lighten the rifle any.

I'm already wondering how light one of these could be built....the Weatherby UL isn't bad but they're heavy action/ very light barrel...so I'm thinking what other action could one be built on that's lighter than a MkV 9 lug. Would one fit in a standard '06 length action? It's shorter than a .300Wby by a fair margin so it might just fit.

I'm thinking one of these in a 7.25-7.5 lb "all-up" rifle would be a superlative sheep gun.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

I'm already wondering how light one of these could be built....the Weatherby UL isn't bad but they're heavy action/ very light barrel...so I'm thinking what other action could one be built on that's lighter than a MkV 9 lug. Would one fit in a standard '06 length action? It's shorter than a .300Wby by a fair margin so it might just fit.

I'm thinking one of these in a 7.25-7.5 lb "all-up" rifle would be a superlative sheep gun.
    That is what I built my 257 WBY's for. I just got my third back from the smith, built on a Sako AIII with a number 2 Lilja SS barrel at 25". It has a High Tech converted Sako A5 stock, it weighs in at 6lbs 14 oz without the scope. My other two in 257 WBY are as follows:
    Colt Light Rifle action with a number 1 Lilja, High Tech stock weighs in at 6lbs 2oz with a Leupold 2.5x8 VX3
    Remington 700 Titanium with a number 1 Lilja, High Tech Sheep Hunter stock, weighs in a 6lbs 9 oz with a Leupold 2.5x8 VX3

Both great shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunteralaska View Post
    That is what I built my 257 WBY's for. I just got my third back from the smith, built on a Sako AIII with a number 2 Lilja SS barrel at 25". It has a High Tech converted Sako A5 stock, it weighs in at 6lbs 14 oz without the scope. My other two in 257 WBY are as follows:
    Colt Light Rifle action with a number 1 Lilja, High Tech stock weighs in at 6lbs 2oz with a Leupold 2.5x8 VX3
    Remington 700 Titanium with a number 1 Lilja, High Tech Sheep Hunter stock, weighs in a 6lbs 9 oz with a Leupold 2.5x8 VX3

Both great shooters.
    Those sound fantastic! Care to share some photos? Would love to see those.