Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: an adequate load for moose ?

Default an adequate load for moose ?

I am just trying to get some feedback on this .... how many of you think a 308 shooting a 150 grain premium bullet ie: Swift Scirocco, Nosler Accubond or E Tip or a Triple shock (all 150) would be adequate for a moose ? MV at 2900

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I am just trying to get some feedback on this .... how many of you think a 308 shooting a 150 grain premium bullet ie: Swift Scirocco, Nosler Accubond or E Tip or a Triple shock (all 150) would be adequate for a moose ? MV at 2900
    Moose aren't terribly difficult to kill. Any of those will do the job if you put it in the right place.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Like iofthetaiga said moose are fairly easy to kill so any decent bullet in just about any weight when put in the kill zone will humanely kill a moose. My daughters use a 243 win with 100gr Nosler Partitions with no issues.

Stop worrying about what bullet to use and go practice shooting from different positions and distances. Moose terrain is not always the easiest to get a good supported position in.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Like iofthetaiga said moose are fairly easy to kill so any decent bullet in just about any weight when put in the kill zone will humanely kill a moose. My daughters use a 243 win with 100gr Nosler Partitions with no issues.

Stop worrying about what bullet to use and go practice shooting from different positions and distances. Moose terrain is not always the easiest to get a good supported position in.
    Probably want to practice getting out of the sleeping bag early too.. Never know what's standing 300 yds from camp!

That sounds like a perfect round to me. My brother has a 270 that he loads about the same with Barnes triple shock 150s. He has taken several moose and caribou with it and never had a problem. That bullet makes a nice big hole and holds together well, even when it hits bone.

Of all the bullets listed I would use the barnes tsx 1st then the accubonds.

I love the .308 Win.... of the bullets listed I'd pick the Accubonds (from past performance) but at that mild velocity don't overlook the Corelokts, Speer Hot Cor, the Winchester Power Point, etc. and especially the 150 Partition which gives excellent performance in that round.

The TSX and ETip are nice but I don't generally use them until the MV goes north of 3000fps.

Practice, practice, practice...from field positions as others pointed out.

If a .308 was the only rifle I could get my hands on before my moose hunt then I would use it. If I could get my hands on something bigger I would. It's not ideal IMveryHO.

Seen one drop like a rock to a 308 and core-lokt 150.

I remember a TV show way back before I moved up here. The TV host recomended a .458 as Alaskan moose are tough to knock down. I have killed them with a .35 Whelen, .44 mag., bow and now a Ford F-250.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I remember a TV show way back before I moved up here. The TV host recomended a .458 as Alaskan moose are tough to knock down. I have killed them with a .35 Whelen, .44 mag., bow and now a Ford F-250.
    "TV show" 'nuf said.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I know a guy that accidentally killed one (misplaced ear shot) with a .22 trying to to chase it out of the garden, but that doesn't mean it should be used intentionally. Any gun that can put a 100+ grain bullet into a moose at high velocity should reliably knock it dead if you put it in the right spot. Obviously the more energy you can put into a moose, the more damage you can do, and the more you can trust that he won't be going to far after you hit him. IMHO, find the biggest round you can comfortably shoot with reliable accuracy and use that.

don't even need any fancy bullets, core lokt or pretty much anything will work just fine, i've gotten many moose with a 30-30 winchester and using cheapest 150 grain ammo i could get, ya don't need much for moose, just need a well placed shot i wouldn't hesitate goin after a moose with a 308, lots of folks use em for moose...
    my favorite nowadays is my remington model 700 7 mag these days though with 150 or 175 grain bullet (basically whatever they got at AC in mcgrath), but i also want to get another 30-30 lever action as it hasn't ever failed me in the past either

here's a few moose racks from mcgrath area, some of em shot with a model 94 winchester 30-30, one thing about lighter bullets like 150 grains is they don't like brush so get a good shot on em

yes the 30-30 and 32 special do a good job, I think the reason is a cheap bullet fragments like crazy inside the animal.

Why 150 instead of 180?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I love the .308 Win.... The TSX and ETip are nice but I don't generally use them until the MV goes north of 3000fps.
    My thoughts exactly... Particularly i'd be a bit concerned getting proper expansion on the TSX after a couple hundred yards. I love the TSX bullets, but probably not my first pick in a .308.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    yes the 30-30 and 32 special do a good job, I think the reason is a cheap bullet fragments like crazy inside the animal.

Why 150 instead of 180?
    oh i just meant whatever we could get that was atleast 150 grain, for his 308 180 grain probably would be better than 150 though if that's what ur gettin at , we've typically just used whatever they had at AC store in mcgrath or the general store back in the day, was usually federal, winchester or most often core lokt, gotcha on the cheap bullets fragmenting, most of my experience hunting moose has been with core lokt and that hasn't been an issue

Next spring I am going to play with a new Browing X Bolt in 308 I bought and set it up hopefully for one more moose hunt. I intend to start out with Accubonds in 165 grain and see what happens. Looking over ballistic charts that seems to be a good choice load for a moose size critter with a 308...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

thank you for the great comments from all ! I should probably give the 165's a try, I asked because my Montana shoots 150's so well - I may not even take the 308 but it's so light and handy it's hard to leave behind

If you shoot it well and you have confidence in the rifle, take it. The whole issue of bullet weight, velocity, and such loose credibility to the most important factor. Shot placement. You just have to hunt within your own personal limitations based upon your knowledge of the firearm, load and your abilities.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I dropped our moose with a backup shot from a .308 scout rifle. First shot was 300 Win Mag. He started to run, (low shot, through the sternum) and my 308 stopped him right where he was (with perfect shot placement). Works great.

I agree, practice shooting while standing on four wheeler racks and other weird places/positions.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast