Thread: homer float pilot

Default homer float pilot

the first time i went to alaska we stayed in homer to do the halibut fishing, beach coming, sightseeing, and the salty dog tourist bs. had a great time. my buddies told me i had to go to the lake and get a flight seeing tour. they had been there several times and loved it. so i went down to the office and signed up. went on the trip and loved it. i think the plane was a 1929 airbus, use to have pamplet of the operation but i can't find it. just wondering if it was one of you guys on the forum. very cool plane. i think the pilot said he found it in montana and restored it. i'm sure the pamplet said he had 20000hrs of bush time. maybe grizzly 1. dont know. but what a piece of history that i got to fly in.

It was probably Bill Decreeft of Kachemak Air in his Travel Air, not an airbus. Take a look at this article: http://homernews.com/stories/082708/...l#.TtRfp2Mr2dA

thats it. that was the first time i ever flew in a float plane. what a experience. i asked him a ton of questions and he had time for all of them. there was two girls on the flight and one of the had a small baby, she asked what she should do with him pertaining seatbelts and saftey. he said just hold onto him and before we clear town he'll be asleep. well i thought that was strange but before we cleared town baby was asleep. thought that was really cool. smooth operator and a class gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    the first time i went to alaska we stayed in homer to do the halibut fishing, beach coming, sightseeing, and the salty dog tourist bs. had a great time. my buddies told me i had to go to the lake and get a flight seeing tour. they had been there several times and loved it. so i went down to the office and signed up. went on the trip and loved it. i think the plane was a 1929 airbus, use to have pamplet of the operation but i can't find it. just wondering if it was one of you guys on the forum. very cool plane. i think the pilot said he found it in montana and restored it. i'm sure the pamplet said he had 20000hrs of bush time. maybe grizzly 1. dont know. but what a piece of history that i got to fly in.
    Nope, not me. Never flew that model. Wish I had .....................

The was Bill deCreeft and his 1929 Travel Air. Unfortunately he no longer owns that plane. He was still doing occasional flight seeing trips in an Aeronca Sedan, but I am not sure what he intends on doing this coming summer.
    I really miss seeing that Travel-Air on the lake. Plus Bill used to send me the single flight seeing folks who did not fit into his loading schedule....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Smalls; You might take a look at this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMDyRz7P2uI

WOW!!

What a great video of a really neat old plane. Hope Bill doesn't stop flying.

i'm on dial up so when any body says look at this it usually takes about a week. a flight like that might seem routine to most but to me that was pretty special. float pilot, if somebody would want to take a look at the all around homer area 4 a couple of days is that something that you could fit into your plans, or do you mostly do just training. were coming up next summer and i think for vacation that would be a perfect couple of days to spend.

I also do flight seeing / aerial photography flights and intro float-plane flying lessons where the clients gets to do the flying.
    I have a guest cabin available when not occupied by float-rating clients.

i believe my high school drafting teacher helped restore that plane. we lived on that lake, and watching Bill takeoff and land with the otter and beaver is what got me into flying as a career.
    "f/64 and be there"

Don Ronda?

yeseree!! nothing like waking up to the sound of those big radials at takeoff power. then coming home from church to the sound of the ice racers rippin around the oval, do they still do that?
    "f/64 and be there"

We lived up on Diamond Ridge and could hear the Otters from there. When I was flying for Cook Inlet we had the red and white Otter (666XX) on wheels and Bill had the one on floats and I could tell the difference. I loved flying XX....it's like big Cub....what a neat airplane!!

They still do ice racing, although it does not seem to be as big a deal and as well organized as it was 40 years ago. Just like how the old Homer Winter Carnival became history. Homer has far too many people now. Many of whom could not find (or recognize) gainful employment (or soap) if they used both hands, a flashlight and a troop of Boy Scouts.

I remember when Bill first moved into Homer around 1967 or 1968 and Homer Air was complaining they did not want him starting a flying business. Bill's web site says he is now out of the flying business. His son Jose still has Northwind Aviation next door to Bill's old operation.

thats my house in the background-across the lake

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tailspin_tommy/718271101/
    "f/64 and be there"

I have a few old photos that have not been ruined by time and water.
    Here are a few from Beluga Lake circa 1970-71... I think I used an old Brownie Box camera.
    Note Bill DeCreefts old Beaver. Also the old Quonset shop was actually in full operation back then and not surrounded by tall trees. As i am sure you know, it collapsed a few years back and has been torn down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow- thanx for sharing those photos, now thats some nostalgia there, way before the beetle kill and houses up on the hill - i will have to show my dad these- he will appreciate these
    "f/64 and be there"