Thread: anybody heard of a new reg for black bear

Default anybody heard of a new reg for black bear

I was reading a magazine and one add said this is the last year for over the counter black bear tags in Alaska. Anyone hear anything about this? Just curious, thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I was reading a magazine and one add said this is the last year for over the counter black bear tags in Alaska. Anyone hear anything about this? Just curious, thanks Tom
    SE went draw for non res, check out the draw supplement.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Non-residents without a guide in units 1-3 will be required to get a draw permit to hunt black bears. Otherwise the rest of the state appears to remain the same.

This was actually the first year that they were harvest tag (vs. sealing), I thought.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    This was actually the first year that they were harvest tag (vs. sealing), I thought.
    Nope last year was the start of the harvest tags.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Nope last year was the start of the harvest tags.

Still gotta get the bears sealed though! Just more paper work, duplicating pretty much.

You get a lot more data from sealing than you do from harvest reports. With harvest reports you get info about hunter effort. From sealing you get a lot more biological data. And you'd be amazed how many hunters can't tell a boy bear from a girl bear.

Probably not much of a big deal in most of the state where high harvests of bears is encouraged, but in SE where they are more of a target species, it really does make a difference in management.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    And you'd be amazed how many hunters can't tell a boy bear from a girl bear.
    Would this help?
    Attachment 55396
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist