Thread: Fixed Sights Installation

Default Fixed Sights Installation

Has anyone ever had fixed sights installed on a rifle that didn't come with sights? If so, what was the cost, who installed them, and are you happy with them? Reason I'm asking is I got my daughter in law a rifle (Marlin MX7 in a 30-06) for Christmas. I almost bought one for my son also, but he hates scopes. I'm looking into options at the moment. Any information would be apprecicated. Just realized I should have put this in Gunsmiting. Mods, could you relocate this post

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Might as well get Adjustable sights, rather than "Fixed". (Probably, that's what you meant.)

There are a heap of'em in the catalogs, and most any Gunsmith SHOULD be able to install them. Some math would be needed to get the correct height front sight for whatever Rear Sight you pick.

Sometimes, you can get a SET of both front and rear, for a specific rifle, but probably not for that rifle you mention.

Is the rifle, drilled and tapped for a Receiver Sight (PeeP)? Like the Lyman, for example.

Personally, I prefer a Post, rather than a Bead front sight, for both Open Sights and Peep (or aperture) Sights.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have had iron sights from New England Custom Guns put on a few rifles I go with the simple single leaf on the rear that is adjustable for windage and elevation and a barrel band on the front with a Patridge post with the gold color on the top. They have several styles available and a ramp front base is cheaper then a barrel band for a front sight base. They are not cheap, but they are sturdy pieces of iron that work and look good. If iron sights were all the gun would wear then I would look at some kind of a receiver sight from XS Sight Systems or Skinner Sights if they make them for your rifle, if not then Williams or Lyman might make them.

Smitty of the North, Yes I meant to say adjustable sights. The gun is not drilled/tapped for sights which I'm sure would account for most of the labor costs. I'm a fan of the sights on a Winchester Model 70 with a hooded front post. They run about 85 bucks I believe.

.338 Mag Do you remember what it cost you for the gunsmith to install the sights? And I take it that NE Custom Guns is not in Alaska. Just trying to get all my facts to see if its worth the effort of installing sights on a rifle vs buying one that already has them installed.