Thread: Where to Walk GSP in Butte or Palmer in Winter?

Default Where to Walk GSP in Butte or Palmer in Winter?

Hey everyone,

I just moved to Palmer (Butte area) from Anchorage with my German Short-haired Pointer, and now that it's trapping season, I'm looking for suggestions on where I can safely walk her near home. My GSP really needs to be off leash to get good exercise, and she just won't stay on trail with me. She can't resist all the delicious smells and is always off in the brush. So, I'm worried that she'll get caught up in a trap if we ever walk near one. Are there any hiking areas in the Valley where trapping is restricted?

I've been learning from friends how to open a conibear trap. Still, I'd just rather walk her in an area with no trapping.

BTW, we are not training her for hunting... My husband is more into caribou, moose, and sheep, rather than birds. She's great at pointing, though---ptarmigan, even woodpeckers up a tree, even flying ravens! It's hilarious.

Thanks for any tips.

Can't help you with the no trapping areas but can say from experience with my german wirehaired pointer that they don't get injured from the traps and they are easy to get them out of once caught. The conibears are another story but canines don't like sticking their heads into things which cuts down on the chances of them being caught in a conibear.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Traps are a problem and any dog could get caught in one. Last week a dog in Willow was killed by a conibear trap just 10 feet off of a high traffic trail. A few years ago a dog lost both feet on one side in traps. A rottie was killed by a conibear trap in Anchorage 2 years ago and how many more that we don't hear about. . The likelihood of being able to save a dog caught in a large conibear trap, exerting90 lbs of pressure is slim. I had a person at the trapping supply show me and let me try to open a sprung trap and it was not easy. Add to that panic and a screaming dog and I don't think I could do it. The best way is to avoid some trails. You're pretty safe in the borough parks. Like Lake Lucille park you may have to park at the gate and walk in . For the most part the leash law is not enforced unless there is a problem. Thats why I love my e-collar with vibrate mode. You want to have some control if you run into moose. And the E-collar is considered a leash. As well as perfect recall response but who has that? Another place is Animal Food Wearhouse on the Palmer Wasilla hwy. There is an enclosed area with some rugged agility equipment. They request that you become a prefered customer, just filling out a form, you get a card and some coupons in the mail a few times a year. It's not really large but run around it with the dog for a while and you'll both be tired. It's a little icy right now but not too bad.

Get some cross country skis and head up to hatcher pass. When we have snow I just head down the street to the lake and let em go or hook them up to the harness and let them pull me on the skis or the kids on their sled.

You could drive down to the old Knik bridge and follow the driveway either left or right side and just stay on the gravel area, its a very large open area, I'm sure would be safe and fine. Lots of folks camp there and take ATV and RV's unless too cold out. Large flat area to run, etc. Don't let him go up into the woods alongside, never know about that, but I'm sure the large gravel areas are fine. Bud
    Wasilla

FYI steer clear of the maud road stuff as i know there are trappers in that area because i spook to one their 2 days ago. If you do go walk the dog there stay near the main road and you should be ok. I know they wouldn't appreciate me posting their exact locations so i won't. But please use this info for a heads up if you do.

there are plenty of people trapping out at the end of maude rd, plus native land and crazy shooters out there, i think there are some trails right there near the base of lazy mt, i dont' know if anyone is trapping there, also isnt there a park just after the matanuska but before the cemetery as you heading into palmer on the old glenn, on the right, also you could go right down on the river bottom of the matanuska where it crosses there....if you are gonna play out that way...like Linda you may want to educate yourself on how to remove a trap or snare....as a trapper myself and i run my beagle for hare, i wish you good times with your dog in the woods, i love german short-hairs....if your dog hunts you will find traps its just a matter of time, most dogs wont pull on snares and choke themselves out but keep an eye and an ear on your dog and i dont' know if you have children but when things are silent something is wrong...of course if its pointing it probably isn't making any noise either....if it gets caught by a foot hold or a conibear you'll know it....dogs are often susceptible to traps set for other k-9s because they are playing off the curiousity and scent marking instincts that dogs have. it wouldn't hurt for you to carry a pair of needle nose pliers with you in case you have to untwist some wire or cut a snare, and a length of rope with a loop in one end to compress conibear springs...just remember most places out there it is perfectly legal to trap but it is illegal to tamper with traps, obviously your dog getting caught in a trap is not tampering with but if does happen perhaps leave a note with your name or number on a tree where the trap was so you can return the trap or just to say "hey you might be a little too close to the trail", or atleast an explination of why there set was messed up...if you do have to take the trap turn it into the troopers....most trappers (if trapping legally) will contact the troopers if their gear is taken.....i really do hope you dont' ever have to do any of this but this great state is for everybody to play in and as the say "**** happens"... As Linda stated dogs and traps are a fairly common scenario of user conflict and knowledge of how to remove traps could save your dog serious injury and possibly death....The valley is a great place and welcome, and thank you for taking the time and asking about this sort of thing.
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by ButteGal View Post
    Hey everyone,

I just moved to Palmer (Butte area) from Anchorage with my German Short-haired Pointer, and now that it's trapping season, I'm looking for suggestions on where I can safely walk her near home. My GSP really needs to be off leash to get good exercise, and she just won't stay on trail with me. She can't resist all the delicious smells and is always off in the brush. So, I'm worried that she'll get caught up in a trap if we ever walk near one. Are there any hiking areas in the Valley where trapping is restricted?

I've been learning from friends how to open a conibear trap. Still, I'd just rather walk her in an area with no trapping.

BTW, we are not training her for hunting... My husband is more into caribou, moose, and sheep, rather than birds. She's great at pointing, though---ptarmigan, even woodpeckers up a tree, even flying ravens! It's hilarious.

Thanks for any tips.

theres traps every 10 feet out there! where about you wanna walk?
    Semper Fi!