Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women in the Bush

Default Women in the Bush

I thought it would be interesting to hear from women living in the Bush, moving to the Bush or dreams of doing so. How does it affect you? What do you like about living in the Bush and a memorable moment?
    JOHN

HELLO! HELLO! Anyone here? Hmmmmmmm!
    JOHN

Most people that I know from the bush don't have internet. I used to keep the school computer lab open one night a week for the community to use in Elim but few used it. If you live in your own little world you really don't need the internet.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

When we were out there we had sled dogs...the majority of our time was spent dealing with the dogs, running the dogs etc. I enjoyed my trip we took to White horse Canada for some of the coolest dogs I have ever seen...it was there I learned about the Inuit Eskimo sled dogs. I will never have a full team again but one or two to help with the heavy labor would not hurt my feelings a bit.

I went camping at -70 to see what it was like...post the first night out I started totally re doing my clothing...and winter gear.

I moved back due to health problems. I have finally found a Dr that knows how to treat them...I am in a better place now than I have been in the past 12 yrs. I'm also 2 to 5 yrs from retirement which will afford me both the income and the health insurance I will be able to use.

Im wanting to go back, but farther out this time...I want to be where I can see for miles and not see any signs of civilization...doesn't mean that no one else is out there....just that I don't see them. I want to be able to just relearn to live in the moment... I want to put to use all the skills I have learned over the past 10 or so years...

The wife is too busy hauling coal, splitting wood, running traplines and skinning animals. If she gets near a computer, she orders stuff that I have to pack in 65 miles on my snow machine...... which isn't all bad!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

[

I know exactly what you mean. I used to be as remote as anyone could be until I got caught up in todays BS. This will soon change and I mean real change.

QUOTE=Washkeeton;1043165]When we were out there we had sled dogs...the majority of our time was spent dealing with the dogs, running the dogs etc. I enjoyed my trip we took to White horse Canada for some of the coolest dogs I have ever seen...it was there I learned about the Inuit Eskimo sled dogs. I will never have a full team again but one or two to help with the heavy labor would not hurt my feelings a bit.

I went camping at -70 to see what it was like...post the first night out I started totally re doing my clothing...and winter gear.

I moved back due to health problems. I have finally found a Dr that knows how to treat them...I am in a better place now than I have been in the past 12 yrs. I'm also 2 to 5 yrs from retirement which will afford me both the income and the health insurance I will be able to use.

Im wanting to go back, but farther out this time...I want to be where I can see for miles and not see any signs of civilization...doesn't mean that no one else is out there....just that I don't see them. I want to be able to just relearn to live in the moment... I want to put to use all the skills I have learned over the past 10 or so years...[/QUOTE]
    JOHN

[

LOL, she sounds like a real keeper.

QUOTE=denalihunter;1043184]The wife is too busy hauling coal, splitting wood, running traplines and skinning animals. If she gets near a computer, she orders stuff that I have to pack in 65 miles on my snow machine...... which isn't all bad![/QUOTE]
    JOHN

Too many questions...it would take a book to answer and cover them all... Yup a book!

Think I should get back to writing now <grin>
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Quote Originally Posted by Washkeeton View Post
    When we were out there we had sled dogs...the majority of our time was spent dealing with the dogs, running the dogs etc. I enjoyed my trip we took to White horse Canada for some of the coolest dogs I have ever seen...it was there I learned about the Inuit Eskimo sled dogs. I will never have a full team again but one or two to help with the heavy labor would not hurt my feelings a bit.

You are right Washkeeton, Inuits are some of the coolest dogs there are. My lead dog Molly is Canadian Inuit and she gave us one of the best batch of pups we've ever had...Malamute/Inuit blend. The "pups" are now 5 and I still call them puppies! Having sled dogs is an incredible amount of work every day, but I wouldn't trade them in for a snow machine anytime soon.

When I was younger I liked winter camping a whole lot more than now...As I get older I get colder. You are very tough!

Speaking of cold, it's -34 and time to stoke the stove.
    Can't wait for that forecasted chinook to blow in. Hope it makes it this far North East!
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I havent been winter camping since that one time. I have never been in -70 degree weather since. I have some new fangled winter gear thoughts and plans, Im wanting to make. I will take my son and we will go out and try them out here. What a better way to try stuff than in our absolutely cold winds we have down here. Im sure if I can keep warm in our wind chills down here I shouldnt have many problems staying warm in ambient cold. It is totally worth trying.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

If they can pack wood. And cook on a wood stove.. I want one

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    Too many questions...it would take a book to answer and cover them all... Yup a book!

Think I should get back to writing now <grin>
    I hope this means you are writing a book of your life in the bush! Please put me down for one when you get it printed.

I'm keen on all this bush talk, I'd even like to hear bush stories from the urban women

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

John, I like you and I'm glad you post... But I will say that you surely seem to have a one track mind at least when it comes to this forum and your blog. Happiness is an outlook, not a location. The happiest folks I have met would be happy people whether they were in calcutta or Skwentna. Life is about choices, if you dont like your current situation, change it. Telling us all how much it sucks to be stuck in today's "BS" does not help you.

This is all just my opinion of course and not meant to offend you. I happen to live somewhat close to where you currently find yourself and couldnt disagree more with your assesment of your neighbors. I know alot of the people in Rustic Wilderness and you should get to know them before making judgements. Dont expect that by living there for a couple of months you will be accepted like a member of the neighborhood or their families, especially when you bag on them for their "corrupted lifestyles"...ie power, etc.

Best of luck to you truly, I hope you are able to get out to your property and enjoy the solitude if that is what you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    the people in Rustic Wilderness
    OMG...them and the folks living in Caswell Lakes...LOL

I'm gonna go with John on this one!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Ever been to Wasilla or Meadow Lakes Res? LOL.... or Spenard?

Thewolfwatching

**** strait!! LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    The wife is too busy hauling coal, splitting wood, running traplines and skinning animals. If she gets near a computer, she orders stuff that I have to pack in 65 miles on my snow machine...... which isn't all bad!

Thewolfwatching

I lived without elec and running water for many years.. also kept livestock alive under those circumstances.. BEST years of my life!!!! Still prefure to burn wood for heat etc.. Love the life.. and I've lived all sides..
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    I thought it would be interesting to hear from women living in the Bush, moving to the Bush or dreams of doing so. How does it affect you? What do you like about living in the Bush and a memorable moment?

Thewolfwatching

What is good about living in the bush?? You’re known foryour hands and not the color of your hair!!

This thread isn't about me. So, why do you people need to ruin them.
    JOHN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast