Thread: Photo TR - Seven Pass Route, Wrangell St Elias

Default Photo TR - Seven Pass Route, Wrangell St Elias

This trip took place during the end of August this year, just getting around to the photos now.

After doing the goat trail last year, the woman & I were inspired to do something a bit longer, and after some research decided this route was the best compromise between difficulty & still being easy enough to have our camera gear & enjoy the area without worrying about making miles every day. We did some exploring & didn't follow the route exactly, ended up being 8 days and just over 50 miles.

Photos are mine except where noted as RS (the woman). Any comments/criticism welcome.

1. Dropped off at Iceberg Lake...dammed by a huge floating piece of ice that eventually lets loose every year, draining the lake.

2. First day we went the opposite direction of our "route" to check out the glacier & the access point from Ross Green Lake (maybe a part of a future trip). For scale, those icebergs on the "beach" are the size of small houses. Photo by RS

3. Wolverine tracks in the dried up lake bed. Photo by RS

4. Had a thinktank bag for when it wasn't good to have the camera out. I nicknamed mine Whitney, for all the abuse its able to handle. Photo by RS

5. Campsite night one, very windy/sandy. Was trying to get sand out of my camera gear the rest of the trip.

6. Up the valley the next day, towards the first glacier we needed to cross.

7. Our spot for the night. Woman seemed to think bears were afraid to climb up hills, so we ended up climbing uphill alot. The sleeping was as un-flat as it looks.

8. 6 shot pano, view from our tent

9. Campsite the next day...did some berry picking & bushwhacking, didnt get a ton of shots. Set up camp on the moraine of the 2nd glacier to cross.

10. A shot of the sunset. Photo by RS

11. On Bremner Glacier the next day. Our guidebook listed the glaciers as our biggest obstacle. Glaciers are awesome as long as you have crampons. The up & down of the glacial moraine and the bushwhacking were what made up the difficult portions of our trip. Photo by RS.

12. Stashed our food another 800ft up...this is the view we had for dinner. Our tent in the bottom center. 6 shot pano

13. Our campsite above Bremner Glacier

14. A view of the same glacier in the fog the next morning

15. Couple bull moose that trotted through this valley in about 15 minutes. Took us about 5 hours of bushwhacking.

16. The above moose went from the left to the right of this valley, down towards Bremner Glacier. 9 shot pano

17. Got through a pass & camped out, this was the valley we had to hike down the next morning. Cold & wet if the picture doesn't convey it enough.

18. Almost stepped on 30-40 of these guys throughout the trip. Photo by RS

19. What the sun looked like most of the last 4 days

20. Our second to last day we had to climb almost 4000ft over a pass - no photos on the up, but this is from the top of the pass looking down

21. ...ended up at this little lake, and with 3 miles to go to the airstrip the next day decided this was camp for the night.

22. View down the valley from our tent.

23. A shot of our tent for the night.

24. Ended up at our runway in the Bremner Mining area (abandoned since the 1950s) about 3 hrs before our pickup...hung out in a building with an old sled. These guys mined year round...amazing.

25. Got to spend a day in Kennecott / McCarthy after our pickup, great place for photos even with overcast weather.

26. The main copper processing building, 14 stories tall.

Overall an awesome trip. I'd encourage anyone visiting AK during the summer to visit the McCarthy / Kennecott area if you have the chance. If you're into backpacking and happen to be up here its a no-brainer. Do it. And book with McCarthy Air, Gary Green is the man.

Cheers

Great story! I need to get the pano thing figured out before my next mountain adventure. Those shots were stunning!

Thanks! Check out a program called Kolor AutoPano - not cheap but the learning curve is much easier than learning to stitch photos together in photoshop.

Thumbs up shots of a dream!

Awesome landscapes and really beautifull shots! I'm cold only looking the pictures, but i hope I'll do a similar trip soon! thanks for giving me the inspiration Drew1200!

Incredible! Thanks for posting.