Thread: ptarmigan

Default ptarmigan

who's got any good recipes on how to prepare and cook ptarmigan

MC
    I dont know if you where thinking of something like this but I went and deboned about 6 of mine and put them in a brine for a few hours then put them in the smoker last year and it turned out darn good
    A cold beer and smoked Ptarmigan life is good

put a slice of jalepeno pepper in the breast, wrap the whole thing in bacon, grill or bake till done......yum....

The best ptarmigan I ever made: put breast down in foil, put heart inside breastbone. Sprinkle with salt. Bring foil up and roll the ends together, then bend the ends up into two smokestacks. Rake about 1" of coals off to the side of a well established fire. Put birds directly on coals, rotating every few minutes. To check to see if the are done, peek under where the heart is. Ptarmigan have a "window" in their breastbone that you can see the meat turn brown. Pull them off as soon as they turn color so you don't overcook them. Last fall I made up some fresh cranberry sauce to go with them. About the best thing I think I ever ate sitting around a campfire in the rain.

Did you use just use a salt brine, or something different? I'm willing to try anything to pull some of the game out of it.

Thanks

Play to the natural flavor of the meat, don't try to take it away. Why shoot it, if you don't like the taste. The big key to ptarmigan, is not over cooking it. Cook it like beef. They can be a little livery...maybe some carmelized onions...I like the cranberry sauce idea that Arcticmayhem suggested.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

My wife beats them up with a tenderizing hammer and then cooks them in some sort of orange sauce with onions and peppers. Very Good! Add a cold Alaskan Amber and life is good. Top this off by sitting in my favorite chair and applying a light coat of English oil to the stock of one of my bird guns while one of my Brittnays sleeps nearby and life is very good!

Jim

Default Ptarmigan Ptacos

Just substitute grouse/ptarmigan for chicken in your favorite recipes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I had about 10 breasts in the freezer from last year and ended up buying a sesame chicken seasoning packet and substituted the ptarmigam into it.. it was delicious. Made up some rice and veggies on the side. it is making my mouth water as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by mccrimmon View Post
    Did you use just use a salt brine, or something different? I'm willing to try anything to pull some of the game out of it.

Thanks
    No, just ripped the breasts out of the birds and cooked them fresh. The trick is to not overcook them, just like any wild game. I think they had been eating a lot of berries because they were sweeter and more tender than chicken. Not a hint of livery flavor.

An Alaskan Amber would have rounded it out really well, but we were packing as light as possible.

Bacon wrapped anything is tasty, especially on Ptarmigan kabobs.

I also found that they make very good fajitas.