Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Country boy question

Default Country boy question

I hope this question isn't too stupid but I have been wondering about this since I bought a house in Wasilla. Where I grew up, our back yard picnic table doubled as a shooting bench. We shot ducks off of our front lawn waterfront. The only firearm restrictions were self imposed to not shoot toward our nearest neighbors house. Now that I live inside the city limits, I want to make sure I am straight on the firearm regulations so I don't get into trouble. As far as I can tell by reading the hunting regs, center fire and rim fire are not allowed, but shotguns and air rifles are, right? So if a legal bull walks into my yard and starts eating my apple trees, can I grab the shotgun and slugs and shoot him? Can I use the 410 to kill that stupid squirrel on my bird feeder? Or do I need to stick with the pellet rifle for my rodent problem? Obviously there is basic firearm safety to consider as far as where and when to shoot, and I don't plan on blasting everything in sight, but it would be nice to know if I have the option if needed.

Really? No answers? This is a genuine question, I am sorry if it might be to obvious to others, but I honestly would like to get an answer to this. Even an opinion or calling me a gun happy redneck would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticmayhem View Post
    I hope this question isn't too stupid but I have been wondering about this since I bought a house in Wasilla. Where I grew up, our back yard picnic table doubled as a shooting bench. We shot ducks off of our front lawn waterfront. The only firearm restrictions were self imposed to not shoot toward our nearest neighbors house. Now that I live inside the city limits, I want to make sure I am straight on the firearm regulations so I don't get into trouble. As far as I can tell by reading the hunting regs, center fire and rim fire are not allowed, but shotguns and air rifles are, right? So if a legal bull walks into my yard and starts eating my apple trees, can I grab the shotgun and slugs and shoot him? Can I use the 410 to kill that stupid squirrel on my bird feeder? Or do I need to stick with the pellet rifle for my rodent problem? Obviously there is basic firearm safety to consider as far as where and when to shoot, and I don't plan on blasting everything in sight, but it would be nice to know if I have the option if needed.
    I am in no way an expert regarding the firearm regulations for the Mat Su. Regarding the moose issue, it would only be legal if you property was within the legal game management unit and not within a further restricted area inside that unit (urban areas are often specifically set aside as no-hunting areas within a game management unit), and you were in-season for that specific animal. There are also often restrictions on the proximity to other homes/roads that you need to take into consideration when shooting any kind if firearm, be it rifle, pistol, shotgun, or pellet gun. Again, I don't know specifically what the regs are for Mat Su, so hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

Just to add, check out the onling hunting regs: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...pdfs/gmu14.pdf Figure out where you fit on page 71. If you fall in area 1 "Palmer-Wasilla Management Area" then there are specific firearm restrictions for hunting and they required weapons specific certification (i.e. IBEP for archery, muzzleloader cert for muzzleloader, etc...).

I didnít answer because I donít know, I donít live in city limits. Iíd bet City of Wasilla has City ordinances about it and if it were me I would stop by the Police Department (next to Arbyís on Parks) and ask them. They are the ones that enforce the laws and can best tell you what they will nail you with.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Besides that city and Mat-Su Borough ordinances, you also have basic State laws regarding reckless endangerment. If somebody complains you could get burned.

BUT, since you live in the city limits of Wasilla, they placed rules and regs in place back in 1996 and have amended them since. Here is the Local Law.

9.12.010 Discharge of firearms prohibited.

Except as provided in Section 9.12.020, no [IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR
    ANY] person may [TO]:
    A. Discharge !.,firearm[S] within the city limits, or;
    B. Discharge a firearm on or across! lake[S] or [ANY] other
    body of water within the city limits; or [AND]
    C. [DISCHARGE ANY FIREARM OR AIR RIFLE, ORI]
    Intentionally point or aim any firearm, [AIR RIFLE,] or other dangerous
    weapon, loaded or .otherwise, at any person [PROVI.DED THAT THIS
    SECTION SHALL NOT BE CONSTRUED TO PROHIBIT ANY OFFICER
    OF THE LAW FROM DISCHARGING A FIREARM IN THE
    PERFORMANCE OF HIS OR HER DUTY; NOR TO ANY CITIZEN FROM
    DISCHARGING A FIREARM WHEN LAWFULLY DEFENDING PERSON
    OR PROPERTY, OR PREVENTING CRIME].
    Section 3. Amendment of section. WMC 9.12.020, Discharge of
    firearms permitted, is hereby amended to read as follows:
    9.12.020 Discharge of firearms permitted.
    Section 9.12.010 does not prohibit the discharge of a firearm:
    A. By a peace officer in the performance of his or her duty;
    B. By any person when lawfully defending persons or
    property, or preventing crime; or
    C. [FIREARMS MAY BE DISCHARGED] Within the corporate
    limits of the City at locations specifically designated by the Council. The
    safety of person(s) will come first at all times.
    D. On a firing range for the general public permitted under
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Section 9.12.010 does not prohibit the discharge of a firearm:
    A. By a peace officer in the performance of his or her duty;
    B. By any person when lawfully defending persons or
    property, or preventing crime; or
    Yea and here is why I would be asking the police department. Is popping that tree rat in your bird feeder with a pellet gun ďdefending propertyĒ or not? And if it is and you do, then do they expect it to be reported like a bear/moose DLP kill and so on. Stuff like this is why I donít live in city limits . . . itís too limiting for me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Just remember in order to legally hunt the Palmer/Wasilla zone with a shotgun, you are supposed to have a basic hunters ed certification. Same goes with muzzle loaders and bows (must have appropriate certs).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Just remember in order to legally hunt the Palmer/Wasilla zone with a shotgun, you are supposed to have a basic hunters ed certification. Same goes with muzzle loaders and bows (must have appropriate certs).

I did not know that.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I did not know that.
    Me ether but that is why it's best to ask the enforcement folks. So mud, where is the "Palmer/Wasilla zone" and where do I get a map?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Palmer-Wasilla Management Area

• Restriction: The area is closed to hunting except that
      1. big game may be taken by muzzleloader, shotguns with slugs, and bow and arrow only;
      2. small game, deleterious exotic wildlife, and fur animals may be taken by muzzleloader, shotgun, air rifle, falconry, and bow and arrow only;
      3. waterfowl on Finger Lake may be taken by falconry, and bow and flu-flu arrow only;
      4. fur animals and furbearers taken under a trapping license by methods other than by trapping or snaring may be taken by muzzleloader, shotgun, air rifle, falconry, or bow and arrow only
    • View Map: GIF Map (138 K) PDF Map (352 K)
    • Area Description: Palmer-Wasilla Management Area: the area consists of that portion of Unit 14(A) bounded by a line beginning at the intersection of the George Parks Highway and the Glenn Highway, then east and north along the Glenn Highway to the Palmer Fishhook Road, then west and north along the Palmer Fishhook Road to the Faulk Road intersection, then west along the road and section line to Tex Al Drive and along Tex Al Drive to the Wasilla Fishhook Road, then south along the Wasilla Fishhook Road to Welch Road, then west along Welch Road to the south bank of the Little Susitna River, then west along the south bank of the Little Susitna River to the bridge at North Shushana Drive, then south along North Shushana Drive to Shrock Road, then west along Shrock Road to Church Road, then south along Church Road to the George Parks Highway, then west along the George Parks Highway to Vine Road, then south along Vine Road to Knik Goose Bay Road, then north along Knik Goose Bay Road to Fairview Loop Road, then south and east along Fairview Loop Road to the George Parks Highway, then east along the George Parks Highway to the intersection with the Glenn Highway
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks mud, Iím over the river from it and donít hunt over there, close sometimes though up on Palmer Fishhook in a friendís back yard. I should go re-take the hunter-ed class over anyway, my original certificate dried up and turned to wallet dust many long years ago.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

now I am confused between post 6 and 11 one says discharge of firearms is prohibited and post 11 gives the entire management area, where exactly are the wasilla city limits to help clear things up a bit
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Page 13 of the regulations addresses the hunter education requirement.
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    now I am confused between post 6 and 11 one says discharge of firearms is prohibited and post 11 gives the entire management area, where exactly are the wasilla city limits to help clear things up a bit
    I'm pretty sure the Wasilla ordinances allow legal hunting although I haven't read them personally. Also, Wasilla city limits are not as extensive as one might think. Even portions of the Muni of Anchorage are open to regular season hunting (no permit required). Check out "remainder of 14C" regs sometime.
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I should go re-take the hunter-ed class over anyway, my original certificate dried up and turned to wallet dust many long years ago.
    If you have already taken it (even as a kid), they will have it on record and can issue a new card. Your cert from another state is also valid.
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    If you have already taken it (even as a kid), they will have it on record and can issue a new card. Your cert from another state is also valid.
    Yea I took it through the NRA in AZ back about 1964/5, I'll look into it but the class sounds fun too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

No shooting within the Wasilla city limits, at least don't get caught. You need a hunter safety card within the safety zone or special use area, read the regs. Buckshot and slugs are allowed, rifles are not. The wasilla special use area extends all the way to Palmer fishhook, down to the flats and down KGB road. Just look up the special use area. Once a hunter safety class is completed, you will recieve a hard card like a credit card for your shotgun certification. Tell all your frinds when you get it so when a legal bull shows up in their front yard, they will call you to shot it cause they were too lazy to get certified themselves. Good luck!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

If anybody ever hears shots behind SBS in Wasilla, during mooose season, near the airport, it wasn't me!!! That is my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Ok, that clears it up a little for me. It also tells me that I am not the only one a little foggy on the specifics. I also took the hunter safety course years ago. I think I have the card somewhere. I guess I should go talk to WPD or AST just to be on the safe side, since they are going to be the ones called if someone hears a shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast