Thread: Dogs on sets

Default Dogs on sets

I had the unfortunate circumstance of having a dog wonder into one of my bait sets. Luckily, he was a bit large for the #2 that hit him and I was able to get him out with a minor injury to his paw. Got him back to his owner and he's fine but my question is, once a dog wonders in and gets hit is that set done with? He disturbed the area pretty well and he urinated close to the bait. Target animal was fox and there's a silver in the area and I'm really trying to get one before I take off put of AK so should I pick up and move or leave it be?

Don't worry a bit about the dog sent. I used to set bait out the fox, coyote, and wolves would avoid like the plague. Then I set some out that my dogs chewed on and the varmits ate it like candy. I have used the same tactics for years since with great sucess. I would worry more about the area torn up but a light snow will do wonders for the ring. ~Mist~

any tips on what your dogs were eating bm?

I am still pretty green trapping. Have done it off and on over the years. When I would get lucky and pick up fur, I'd also reset. learned the hardway to make a blind set on the trail. If they dont like your dirt set, you may get them coming by to check it out in your blind trail set.

I have used just about everything possible, what I would let the dogs chew on was animal hides such as the left overs from the slaughter house cow, pig etc. Normally the varmits would be very cagey around the "Farm yard" smell. However after the dog had worried it a bit they did not seem to mind this a bit. Found the same true around natural kill sites, when the sled dogs ate or urinated around the site, it seemed the caution level went down on the incoming varmits. I have actually used frozen dog urine on pole sets for wolf with good success. Good Luck ~Mist~

a location that has caught something wild or domestic is an attractant to most animals unless they are circle shy or have been toed in the past
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Mist View Post
    I have used just about everything possible, what I would let the dogs chew on was animal hides such as the left overs from the slaughter house cow, pig etc. Normally the varmits would be very cagey around the "Farm yard" smell. However after the dog had worried it a bit they did not seem to mind this a bit. Found the same true around natural kill sites, when the sled dogs ate or urinated around the site, it seemed the caution level went down on the incoming varmits. I have actually used frozen dog urine on pole sets for wolf with good success. Good Luck ~Mist~
    Although not a seasoned trapper (just starting actually), I have walked my dogs in an area with a good population of coyotes and lynx for 2 winters now and the dogs and coyotes have been taking turns peeing in the same spots all winter long. I've been planning to "harvest" some of my dogs pee just for that purpose! Glad to hear i'm not outta my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Although not a seasoned trapper (just starting actually), I have walked my dogs in an area with a good population of coyotes and lynx for 2 winters now and the dogs and coyotes have been taking turns peeing in the same spots all winter long. I've been planning to "harvest" some of my dogs pee just for that purpose! Glad to hear i'm not outta my mind...
    THAT is exactly what will make you into a "Seasoned Trapper" Observe the behaviour and make your sets accordingly. Some sets are pretty universal per specie. However some sets will work in one location where the same set will not work as well in another location. For instance wolves down on the chain are much easier to catch than interior wolves, the key is to observe the behaviour and adjust your sets accordingly. When a coyote goes around a set ask yourself what you did to tip him off. Good Luck ~Mist~

set is not done with it should attract them more, we used to stick a moose bone on the side of a snowmachine trail and put frozen dog piss around and they'd smell it come over to mark it as their territory and get caught in the trap...

I came across a rabbit track with a wolf on it's tail crossing my line in Juneau a few years back. I set three #4 jumps in a triangle around the rabbit kill and hooked them to a spring line off a spruce tree.

The set worked as planned a caught a dog by both back legs and the tail. It made the paper and the owners of the dog threatened to sue me and F&G played along until I pointed out that I was trapping in a legal area and the dog owners were in violation of the local leash law. The dog was OK although the owners let him suffer for hours so they could run to town and get a camera and bolt cutters. Even after they cut the cable they left the traps on the dog so the vet could get more pictures.

In the end I got my traps back.

gschuitt, welcome to the forum. I just wanted to say, with all due respect, that if/when any trapper actively seeks to catch dogs in any traps or snares, all that usually does is come back and give us a black eye, no matter the circumstances involved. Publicizing it here also isn't good. That isn't the kind of thing we want out there.
    Sincerely,

Quote Originally Posted by gschuitt View Post

The set worked as planned a caught a dog by both back legs and the tail.
    I read the above quote to be somewhat "tongue in cheek". He was trying to catch a wolf, and the dog is also a canine, tho not the target.

Trappers should feel free anywhere it is legal to trap, albeit, use some commen sense. A trap/snare with a non target catch in it won't do you any good.
    There are valid reasons for trapping near human residences, if legal. Trails into the woods, wilderness are not owned by anyone (unless private property) and all users should respect each other. If trappers are to back away from anywhere they "might" catch a dog/cat.......they would soon be out of any place to trap.
    I also appreciate trappers telling their stories of encounters with pet owners who harass legal trappers.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Supporting Member

Just received a report from a friend of mine that someone's dog was killed in a body-grip trap up around Willow, just off a well used "public" trail. Trying to get all the particulars from the people involved and as a trapper, I have been invited to address a mushers meeting to discuss possible solutions. Proceeding with caution at this point, but figured it is better to be proactive than reactive. Hate reading about this kind of thing in the ADN, as trappers always end up as the bad guys, regardless of the circumstances.