Thread: set up resizing die

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Default set up resizing die

I have been going thru a few threds and have read a few ways to set up your resizing die.
    I would like your openion on the best way and why.... I reload from time to time and have just got back into it and am going to be reloading alot this winter. I have had no problems in the past but i have read some conflicting ways to set it up...

Best way to do it is to read the booklet that comes with the dies. It gives simple and correct instructions. You can modify it from there after you have played with it and find what works for you.

Don't forget to check the resized cases in the gun you plan to shoot them in immediately after resizing and cleaning. After you have seated the bullets is too late to find out if they chamber correctly. Check any other guns also for chambering- does you hunting buddy carry a gun of the same caliber and may end up using your ammo someday? What works in your Winchester may not work in his Remington.

Otherwise it isn't that big of deal for most calibers.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    What works in your Winchester may not work in his Remington.
    This is very true with seating depths also. My wifes bullets will not work in my rifle but my bullets will work in her's. This is when you need a O.A.L guage. You can measure the chamber on each rifle to were the bullet just touches the lands. There are simple ways to do it with a candle or sharpie also but it won't be as accurate as a guage.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Thanks.
    I do set mine up by the directions i have. I was just resurching a few threds and found that it seems everyone has there own deveated way of doing it

Quote Originally Posted by matsuthunder View Post
    Thanks.
    I do set mine up by the directions i have. I was just resurching a few threds and found that it seems everyone has there own deveated way of doing it
    I use the RCBS precision mic, it allows me to measure my fired brass and know exactly what to size it to. I measure the fired brass and slowly tighten down the die until I get the measurement I need.

I also use the redding 7 place turret press, it allows me to keep 3 sets of dies setup at all times without having to change out and reset the dies, I use a universal deprimer in the 7th slot.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

How I set them up depends on what the rounds are for. So far I only use full length resizing dies, also keep in mind this is for a bolt gun will strong chambering cams. For target, practice, rough load development for hunting rounds; basically everything other then hunting, I set them up to partial size. I set the die to just touch the shell holder with the ram raised, I then back it off about 1/4 turn, and lock the ring. This partial sizing makes the brass chamber a little harder, but keeps the brass set with I tight head space which makes it last longer. For times when it is not critical for the rifle to be cycled quickly, the extra force for bolt turn down is

You may wish to set your die a little closer than a 1/4 turn up to get easier chambering while still partial sizing. If the bolt turns down hard, set the die down slightly and size again, and try it in the rifle again. Repeating as needed till the brass chambers will a slight down force on the bolt handle. Since it is possible to go to far and the repeated working of the of the neck work hardens the brass it is a good idea to use a chunk of scrap brass for this process, till it is clear you are close to the target chambering force.

For actually, hunting rounds I full length resize. The die is turned down till, the ram when raised to the full up position cams over and locks with 5 or so pounds of force on the handle. I then load up a few rounds with what ever load I have worked up with partial size brass, and check them for accuracy / preform final sight-in. So far groups and pressure signs have not changed noticeably from partial sized brass used for load workup but, if they increased significantly a I would do some final tweaking with fully sized brass.

Anyway that is what works for me. I only full length and use for hunting a set of brass twice, before moving it to the target and load work up box. Many only do so once, however so far I have not gotten any incipient head separations after twice full sizing and then partial sizing 6 times after. So far I feel justified in using twice for with full length sizing, however I try to make the second use at full length sizing for checking sight-in, just to be safe.