Thread: inReach - SPOT competition

Default inReach - SPOT competition

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...romotion=B0004

For those that haven't seen this, it's a competitive product to the SPOT units. The advantage is that it works on the Iridium network vs SPOT's Globalstar. Iridium has much better coverage in Alaska, so in theory it should be more reliable. I track aircraft using a commercial version of this and in that application, it's over 99%.

I use a Sat Phone myself, but this could be a good thing for a fraction of the price.

Yk

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't bought a Spot yeat because it uses Globalstar. Iridium has been the best for me in Satphones, so maybe I'll give this one a try.

Like it, but no iPhone version which surprises (and POs) me.

Heard a few rumors flying around that this may actually be made by and possibly supported by SPOT. Not sure how true but Delorne and SPOT were in cahoots with the original SPOT connect and this little box is very similar but with 2-way and on Iridium. I would bet this is SPOT backed and under a new name. If not then I could see Delorne being sued for patent/trademark/IPR infingement.

You could be right, but I'm pretty sure that SPOT is a subsidiary of Gobalstar, so not sure why they would collaborate with Delorme/Iridium.

I think most people don't realize similar units are in use by the thousands for tracking trucks, aircraft etc. That's why there is a data link on the Iridium satellites. These (and the SPOT's) differ only in that they are geared towards "consumer" use. I think the inReach slots nicely into Delorme's normal business, which combines both GPS and GIS mapping, so no surprise that it's coming from them. I'd be willing to bet we see more versions of these in the next two years, especially with two way texting. I bet with Delorme in the game, Garmin will be looking at their options pretty hard.

Other companies already have this stuff out. For example, check out these versions designed for industry:

http://www.roadpost.com/geopro_devices.aspx

The new Iridium Extreme also has a tracking feature that works the same way. Going to be harder and harder to get out of touch, that's for sure.

Yk