Thread: Yamaha Viper?

Default Yamaha Viper?

Been looking at getting a snowmachine lately and have found a few good deals on craigslist for a few yamaha SX Vipers. Was wondering what people's thoughts were on these? (2003-2005 models)

The good the bad and the bottom line.

What would be your main use for these sleds? One wants to pick a sled that is more suited to the way you plan to use it.

The viper was the best trailing arm sled Yamaha produced. I am not a huge fan of triples but they are stout machines.

Not the best suspension. Motors cranked a ton of rpm's, 8500 plus I think was common, so not for the timid. A couple I have had the pleasure to be around need help in the deep stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Not the best suspension. Motors cranked a ton of rpm's, 8500 plus I think was common, so not for the timid. A couple I have had the pleasure to be around need help in the deep stuff.
    Powderhounds help up front and a 136 paddle track made it cart me around pretty good in the mountains but a 144 would be better. No trailing arm suspension is up to snuff compared to the newer chassis.

Main purpose would probably be more off trail than on.(70% off 30% on) just places like turnagain, eureka, petersville, etc.

Since it's my first machine( I've ridden a decent amount, but not a ton) I don't need a Cadillac suspension set up, not to mention I'm on a budget. I can always upgrade the track to 151" for deep stuff as well..

Vipers are good machines. The 2000 model year Mountain Max changed mountain sledding. The Viper is the refinement of the MM series. The rear suspension was top dog in it's day and still does what it did then. There's nothing wrong with trailing arm front suspension. With good shocks it works great and is way more durable than A arm variants. The Viper triple was well refined and was the best of the Yami triples. Is it a short track or a Mountain? If it's a shorty and you're thinking about stretching it..... http://www.hartmaninc.com/viper.html

It's a mountain 144", but there is still the possibility for switching out to a 151" track.

The great thing about Yammy triples is the dependibility. 4-5000 miles is nothing on them, even with pipes.
    The Viper has power valves, the MM doesn't, so while they are both 700s, the Viper makes much more power. Slap some SLP pipes on it and you have a very dependible, powerful sled, and nothing sounds like a piped triple.
    If you are picking up the 144", definately budget for a 151, or better yet a 159". A 159" track on the Yammys feels more like a 151" on say a Cat. Just the way the suspension is set up. The are a bit heavier than RMKs, Cats etc, so the bigger track helps.
    Also, didtch the stock skis if you can, they tended to throw snow at you, and didn't float well.
    You can usually get them fairly cheap, so the mods won't eat up much cash in the end.
    Oh yeah, Holtzman ATACC or similar is a great investment, re-jetting triples is a pain.
    Bottom line is that stock, they won't stick with other stock RMKs, Cats or Doos, but it doesn't take much to make them real performers. My 01 MM with SLPs and a 151" would beat up on my buddies 800 RMK all day long, and a Viper is a much better sled than the MM.
    Buy one, theyre great.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Can I buy a reverse unit for the viper or can only a yamaha dealer install one? is it worth it?

Go talk with Ben or Todd at Alaska snowmachine salvage them boys used bleed blue. They most likely have it.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    Can I buy a reverse unit for the viper or can only a yamaha dealer install one? is it worth it?
    I think reverse is a losing proposition on pretty much any older sled. It rarely gets you unstuck and just a little foresight in parking it isn't a problem. Sleds really aren't as restrictive as a wheeler about where you can go so finding a place to turn around is usually pretty easy. About the only time I ever wished for one was when loading and unloading the trailer and even then a set of ski slides mounted on the trailer makes is a bunch cheaper and makes it pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Vipers are good machines. The 2000 model year Mountain Max changed mountain sledding. The Viper is the refinement of the MM series. The rear suspension was top dog in it's day and still does what it did then. There's nothing wrong with trailing arm front suspension. With good shocks it works great and is way more durable than A arm variants. The Viper triple was well refined and was the best of the Yami triples. Is it a short track or a Mountain? If it's a shorty and you're thinking about stretching it..... http://www.hartmaninc.com/viper.html
    Bingo, and they are as smooth as an electric motor too. Yamaha fit and finish always was higher than comparable machines.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Well then in that case forget the reverse! I'll try and get out and look at a few vipers this weekend. Thanks for all the responses guys!