Thread: Where to Walk Dog in Butte or Palmer? (Trap-free areas)

Default Where to Walk Dog in Butte or Palmer? (Trap-free areas)

Hi, everyone.

I just moved to the Butte (outside Palmer) from Anchorage and am wondering if anyone has suggestions on trap-free places where I can walk my German Short-haired Pointer. Like most GSPs, my girl needs a ton of exercise and pretty much needs to be off-leash to exercise well. Also like most GSPs, she just won't stay out of the brush... she just has to follow all smells. I want to be sure to walk her in areas without any traps. I've been learning from friends how to open Conibear traps, etc., but it's probably just safer to stay out of areas with traps.

Any suggestions? Is trapping allowed on the Bodenburg Butte trails? Around Lazy Mountain and the Matanuska Peak trails? How about the Plumley-Maud trail? Morgan Horse Trail?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

This time of year you really can find traps in any of those places In the Matsu Valley any place there is a snowmachine trail or pull out on a road you are looking at a good canidate location for a trap. Maybe around Jim Creek? Its a very high traffic area, I don't think anyone would put steel there but you never know.

Thanks, Teacherman.

I should also mention that I'm very supportive of trappers' rights---don't get me wrong! My hubby fishes, hunts, etc. I know trappers don't want dogs in their traps, either, so I figure it's just better to walk a bird dog somewhere where there isn't trapping.

Thanks again for any tips!

Try the road at the end of Maud road. There is a lot of traffic on this section of the road and I would suspect that there is little trapping along the road. I take my lab out this way and so far have not have any issues. The Saw mill trail i another trail that I have used in the past. Most any areas away form the crowds will more then likely also have some trapping in the area.