Thread: Dumb question about caping

Default Dumb question about caping

In Oklahoma we primatily hunt whitetail. It is normal to cape the deer up to the head, and then cut through the neck muscle and spine. In this way the antlers, skull, and hide are still attached, and the takidermist does the rest. How do you cape a caribou? Is it done the way we do whitetail, or do you remove the entire skin from the head?

I skin the head and saw off the skull plate. No point in packing the skull back to camp.

you'll want the head out and the ears turned, lips turned and nose. lips and nose sometimes will last longer than the ears, but with ears you'll loose hair if they go bad, depending on temps they may go bad in as little as two or three days, colder weather it may be good for almost a week.
    you'll skin it like you do your deer, but once you get behind the ears you'll take it off the head like a sock, slowly roll it down and skin close to the skul so you don't cut to much lips...lotta detail, someone in here might have a link to an online skinning guide...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

If you are planning a trip, get with a local taxidermist and ask to be shown how to peel and deal with a cape. All horny critters are done the same way. He could call you when he is doing a deer.

First, look at your house and decide if you have room. A decent caribou shoulder mount will take up a 6' tall by 4' wide space, and more. If you've only got normal ceilings, the point of the chest is going to be touching your baseboards. If you've got room, then as BB1 said, get with your taxidermist and arrange to be shown how to do it properly.

If you don't have room for a full shoulder mount, some variant of a Euro mount will save a lot of space and negate any need for caping.
    He fears his fate too much or his desserts are small who fears on just one touch to win or lose it all.

I have the room. We recently bought a house for the primary reason (my reason, not my wife's) that the living room had a 14 foot cathederal ceiling with the fireplace centered under the peak. How do you remove the hide from the skull "inside out" with the antlers still on?

Default You're absolutely correct-

I couldn't agree with you more, bowman- that was a really dumb question.

Just kidding...

BRWNBR hit the nail on the head. You've got to get the skull out of the hide or the hair will slip. Keep in mind that you will have your whitetail out to the taxidermist within a day of shooting it. In Alaska it might be a week or two before you are out of the field. If you're trophy hunting, you need to spend some time with your taxidermist on this one. The process is very difficult to describe in print.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Does anyone know of any videos that show this? Thanks.

Okbowman

If you are close to the OK City area I don't mind assisting you with many of your questions. I can walk you through the caping process.

If you do a google search on caping I am sure you will find plenty of instruction, here is one:

http://www.rick-leach.com/Caping_Preparation.htm

Basically you cut up the center of the back of the neck and then make a "Y" out to each antler burr, then with a knife work the hide off from around the bottom of each antler burr.

For the rest of the head, it would be good if you could find a trapper or taxidermist. Both will have experience on where and how to make the cuts around the ears, eyes, lips, and nose. If you have never done it, it would be real easy to cut off the eyelashes. The taxidermist will give you the best instruction on turning ears and splitting lips and nose. Trappers, like myself, often have animals in the freezer waiting to be skinned.

Default don't forget to salt

once one has skinned the cape make sure to salt heavy,making sure lips and ears are well salted.

AKBowman,

If I have had trouble before I have always gone to my taxidermist (Just south of you in Texarkana) and he would write stuff down for me to remember while in the field about a certain animal. Sounds high schoolish but things like remembering to measure the neck and many other things can be forgotten while you are still excited about the animal you just shot. Doing a bear is different than a deer, but for the most part a caribou, deer etc will be done the same way.

Doug

Default OK

If you need assistance with the skinning part of the caping process, go to your local taxidermist and ask him to show you a mount in the process of being fitted to a form. There will be a distinct a cut from each antler to the center of the neck, forming a y. This allows the hide to be removed from the skull. This suture line will be very apparent if you look just behind the antlers in the taller hair. A lot of taxidermist also have a sheet which gives detailed instructions on caping as the better you cape the better your mount can be. Good luck.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Wink watch out

Pay close attention to the eye tear ducts a lot of people screw them up

Default knight's taxidermy

Call Knight's Taxidermy @ 907-344-5501. He has laminated little caping book that shows you from start to finish. I purchased a sheep one several year ago and it was $10.