Thread: Gunsmith???

Currently at Joint Base Lewis McCord, Washington

Post Gunsmith???

Are gunsmiths in high demand in Alaska?

Talented gunsmiths are in high demand by a relatively small population/market. You won't get rich being a gunsmith in Alaska. You might scrape together a living, depending on where you're located, and what your skills are. Best to be multi-talented, say, a gunsmith and a dentist...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Currently at Joint Base Lewis McCord, Washington

lol yes I agree "Best to be multi-talented, say, a gunsmith and a dentist... "
    Thank you for your reply.

Iíd say if you are a good gunsmith itís not gonna matter a lot where you are as people will ship you work on the reputation you build over time, if you are a bad smith your gonna need a big city full of new suckers . . . and in todayís business climate nobody is gonna get rich buldin or fixin anything.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

It depends on your reputation, and what your building....If your building custom rifles that can shoot, and your turn around time is what you tell your customer, and your price is reasonable, and guarentee your work.... you might make alot of money. Alot of hunters I know want something personal and want something different than everybody else!!! and pretty much all of them have gone south to get their rifles, or get them worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    and pretty much all of them have gone south to get their rifles, or get them worked on.
    Yeah, but we go South for lots of stuff.... How many guys from Outside would come here to purchase a gun, or have it repaired, given all the options Outside? I think you would have to be something pretty special to live here and draw enough business from Outside to make a go of it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yeah, but we go South for lots of stuff.... How many guys from Outside would come here to purchase a gun, or have it repaired, given all the options Outside? I think you would have to be something pretty special to live here and draw enough business from Outside to make a go of it.
    Well look at Wild West Guns, they get guns from all over the world to work on. If you are good with a good rep it isnít going to matter where you are and the prestige of being in ďhunting heaven AlaskaĒ would balance the extra distance. Most guys looking to have something more than getting a scope mounted research the best guy and ship their gun to him anyway, they donít just find any old smith in the phone book. If you are not that good then you will need a fresh supply of walk-ins that didnít do any research that only a big city can provide.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

FWIW, so far this year we have built guns for Australia, Germany, Sweden and Russia