Thread: Sled Dog Opinions Please!

Currently at Joint Base Lewis McCord, Washington

Default Sled Dog Opinions Please!

I would love to get everyones opinion on what breeds are the TOP 3 most commom for sled dogs. Please list them in your own opinion of best to 3rd best in your reply to this thread. Thank you!

Not a sled dog guy but as an Alaskan it is an interesting topic. From what I understand the Alaskan sled dog is its own breed that isn't necessarily a breed at all but in truth a selectively bred mutt. http://www.genome.gov/27540617

Currently at Joint Base Lewis McCord, Washington

That article is interesting. Thank you!

I didn't view the link, but LuJon nailed it with the description "selectively bred mutt". That being the very definition of the "Alaska Husky". Alaska Huskies are bred for desirable characteristics specific to the required task, i.e. long distance, freight, trapline, mid-distance race, sprint race etc. There are many mushers in Alaska breeding dogs with bloodlines that go back several human generations, and many breeders keep lineage records as (or more) detailed as any AKC breeder, but the Alaska Husky remains an unregistered mixed "mutt" breed.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist