Thread: Kodiak road system hunting

Default Kodiak road system hunting

I am sitting here looking at google earth, my completly worn out atlas, and my wrinkled up set of hunting regs, and am dreaming of killing a deer. Because of work and timing with weather I have come to the conclusion that a pws deer hunt probubly won't happen this year. So I am thinking of loading up the truck and wheeler and heading to kodiak for a few days to try and finally bag a deer after years of dreaming of it. My question is about the road system itself and I was looking at a road on my atlas called saltery cove road. Is this road on native land or public land and is this road passable with truck or will I need the wheeler to travel it. I know that there is a one deer limit but I am only interested in the hunt and taking of one deer I have meat so that's not my main concern just the hunt of it.
    Thanks for any info on this.
    Oh yeah I hear that there are lots of fox on kodiak if I got to come down would it be worth trying to call a few in. It would be great to bag a few of them as we don't have hardly any here on the pen.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Default Kodiak Road System

Pretty sure the road hunt area for rifle closed at the end of Oct and the muzzle loader / archery only window wrapped up on Nov 15. You still have time at Kodiak but you will have to fly out to the area that still remains open through December. 3 deer limit.

You can get to the open area via the Saltery Creek Rd via ATV. Not sure if you can still get a 4x4 truck there or not. Used to be able to, but it's been some years since I did it. You need to cross Saltery Creek to be legal.

Used to also be able to hike into the legal area from Antone Larson Rd, when the line went to Shag Pt. Some of the locals complained of people riding ATV's through their property to get to the legal area though and the line was moved to the head of Sharatine Bay.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

With the amount of snow we just got the Saltery pass may be closed unless you have a snow machine but you are correct you can get to an open area that way. Same is probably true of hiking from Anton Larsen unless you have snow shoes and the will to do it.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Are there any regulstions on using a snomachine on the road? I was thinking of using either my side x side or snomachine to get to the end of the road then hike in from there. I also have a small inflateable and motor I can throw in a trailer to use along the shore if weather will allow

You might want to look at when the ferry goes in and out of Port Lions! Better hunting if you can get away from town, check it out

I have herd that there are trails around port lions you can leave on with a sled or wheeler but how is it getting through the native land and onto some public land. How are the snow conditions down there would it be better to bring my side x side or snomachine

I think all you would have to do is pay their trespass / land use fee and you should be good to go
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway