Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how can I get smelt when not a resident of Alaska

Default how can I get smelt when not a resident of Alaska

I am trying to get information on catching smelt when you are a non resident it seems you just cant do it, is that the case? I have read in the regs about fishing in salt water with no more the 15 hooks but I can find no other information.

Quote Originally Posted by codwyguy1 View Post
    I am trying to get information on catching smelt when you are a non resident it seems you just cant do it, is that the case? I have read in the regs about fishing in salt water with no more the 15 hooks but I can find no other information.
    There is a commerecial fishery in Alaska for Eauchalon (Hooligan aka Smelt). I am not sure who buys and processes it but you could probably buy it somewhere.
    I have seem smelt for sale at places like New Saiga though I know it wasn't from Alaska as they were smaller and labeled Rainbow smelt or something like that.
    You can sportfish for them but I couldn't tell you how to do it as we always use a net.
    from the regs:
    Sport fishing gear for herring and smelt
    : In salt water, herring and smelt may be taken
    with the use of 15 or fewer unbaited single or multiple hooks attached to a single line.

I have heard of people trying a rod and reel for them but the one person I talked to had no success.
    I would expect that in fresh water you would mostly snag a few and you wouldn't be allowed to keep the snagged ones.
    If I were you I would try to find a place that sells them and buy what you want from them.
    That or try a sabiki rig near 20 mile in the springtime.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

has anybody ever tried one of those throw nets the Orientals use? I think you can get them out of Cabellas. Seems like you could load up.
    As for the original question, I'm not sure.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Don't know about them being specific to a particular race but I have used a cast net for catching bait fish in Florida. My uncle used to own a shrimp net business and also made great cast nets with stainless chain instead of lead weights. I don't think they are legal for much if anything up here but I have no doubt that I could easily fill my PU salmon limit with one if allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have no doubt that I could easily fill my PU salmon limit with one if allowed!
    Wait! What were we talking about again? Oh yeah hooligans and non-residents (some would say one in the same)

I'm taking a poll

I'm pretty sure that he who smelt it dealt it--Alaskan or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I'm pretty sure that he who smelt it dealt it--Alaskan or not.
    Alaska hooligan don't stink. You must have smelt something else.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Alaska hooligan don't stink. You must have smelt something else.
    I stand corrected.

In the Alaska fish and game reg's they referred to them as smelt or herring. and on the F&G website where they show peek run times they refer to them as smelt. Thanks for all the intelligent answers.

Quote Originally Posted by codwyguy1 View Post
    Thanks for all the intelligent answers.
    Welcome to the Alaska Outdoor Forum! If you really want some intell ask us a question in March ; )

I'm taking a poll

Lacking intelligent answers, we go for humor.

I believe that all dipnet fisheries are resident only.

That said, hook and line fishing will be no limit. So knock yourself out with a sabiki rig.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The OP pretty well answered his own question by reading the regs, and KC pretty well reiterated the answers in post #2. Thus, all the intelligent answers being used up, we resorted to humor.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Don't know about them being specific to a particular race but I have used a cast net for catching bait fish in Florida. My uncle used to own a shrimp net business and also made great cast nets with stainless chain instead of lead weights. I don't think they are legal for much if anything up here but I have no doubt that I could easily fill my PU salmon limit with one if allowed!
    Legal or not, they sell 'em at Walmart!! I saw them this past summer at the one in the Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Legal or not, they sell 'em at Walmart!! I saw them this past summer at the one in the Valley.
    Thanks for posting that.
    I know there is a small commercial fishery for them up here. I have not heard who buys or processes them but those who commercial fish can get a permit to catch them.
    I figured they had to be sold up here somewhere.
    Might be a good opportunity for Fullbush to make some extra coin off of that fancy gillnet boat of his before the Salmon season kicks off.
    Use those twin jets to scare them into his net whilst corking off all the personal use fishermen at twenty mile.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

KC... Nice retort. FB, your lead!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Thanks for posting that.
    I know there is a small commercial fishery for them up here. I have not heard who buys or processes them but those who commercial fish can get a permit to catch them.
    I figured they had to be sold up here somewhere.
    Might be a good opportunity for Fullbush to make some extra coin off of that fancy gillnet boat of his before the Salmon season kicks off.
    Use those twin jets to scare them into his net whilst corking off all the personal use fishermen at twenty mile.
    He bro I you should see all the hooligan we catch in our red nets in the Copper. They're not bad going in the river, but when the wash out its a little foul, especially if you're in an eddy, your net comes up plugged w/ foul dead hoolys it isn't even funny. They're slippery on an aluminum deck too. when they're washing out they attract all kinds of vermin, mainly dog sharks

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Ok, I'm a non-resident, but I think I'm qualified to chime in on this one. We use castnets down home in TX to catch live bait all the time. We've considered hauling my boat up to your beautiful state for a long summer trip and did my due diligence in calling the local fish & game office. One of my questions was whether or not I could use a castnet to catch herring for bait and the answer was 'yes'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    Ok, I'm a non-resident, but I think I'm qualified to chime in on this one. We use castnets down home in TX to catch live bait all the time. We've considered hauling my boat up to your beautiful state for a long summer trip and did my due diligence in calling the local fish & game office. One of my questions was whether or not I could use a castnet to catch herring for bait and the answer was 'yes'.
    Euchalon (aka hooligan, smelt, candle fish) are a different fish than Herring. You may perhaps use a cast net to catch a few Herring for bait, but as a non-resident you may not use a cast net to catch Euchalon for consumption.

As a non-resident, you may fish for Euchalon with hook and line (such as a Sabiki rig) refer to the Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations. This is also a very effective way to catch a few Herring for bait.
    #Resist

If you want to just get smelt get a good hound. Mine just smelt my ankles a few minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    If you want to just get smelt get a good hound. Mine just smelt my ankles a few minutes ago.
    Did he think you smelt like herring?
    #Resist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast