Thread: Looking for a new 7wt

Default Looking for a new 7wt

I figure since its the holidays I deserve a new single hand fly rod. I was thinking about a Scott A4 or maybe a Beulah. I like med-fast rods in the 9'6" range. I am looking for something that can be fished in the salt on an up coming trip to Belize. Anyone have any insight on these rods? Anyone like any other particular rod? Is there a Scott dealer in Anchorage?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

May I recommend you get the fastest rod out there for the distance, double hauls, and wind. Get ready to throw 90+ feet with a 12 foot tippet. Sage is still making some pretty fast sticks out there. I can't think of anyone faster. Practice before going. Maybe late night at the Dome in Anchorage. I'm not sure the gym at the high school down there is big enough.

Have fun, Belize is a blast.

I would get TFO. For the price you would pay you could get actually 2. Using it in FL all year long and loving it.

I just bought my wife a Sage VXP 7wt blank. It is still in the building phase but sage rates it as a Med-Fast to Fast rod. I would also look at GLoomis. I have a Native Run GLX 8wt that will cast a mile. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    I just bought my wife a Sage VXP 7wt blank. It is still in the building phase but sage rates it as a Med-Fast to Fast rod. I would also look at GLoomis. I have a Native Run GLX 8wt that will cast a mile. Good Luck.
    You know I have a two hander VXP that is awesome! That thing throws long bombs for sure. I was really hoping to hear from someone on the Scott A4 first hand. The reviews are really good, I have heard guys really like Scott rods, and the A4 is in a reasonable price range.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I have the 10' 7wt a4 and love it!!!! Cast bombs and is the perfect high sticking rod for steelies...Looks exactly like the s4, but half the price!!!! and I think cast just as nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikezm View Post
    I would get TFO. For the price you would pay you could get actually 2. Using it in FL all year long and loving it.
    I second the TFO's. These guys are going to show GLoomis and Sage how to run a good fly rod company. Incredible pricing, quality, and warranty program. I am slowly switching over even though I still have a bunch of the others. TFO's warranty is $25 no questions asked.

I agree that you may want to consider a fast rod. Wind and distance in salt may be problematic for a slower rod. Are you just targeting bonefish? A 7 wt seems light for permit.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    I second the TFO's. These guys are going to show GLoomis and Sage how to run a good fly rod company. Incredible pricing, quality, and warranty program. I am slowly switching over even though I still have a bunch of the others. TFO's warranty is $25 no questions asked.
    I have a rack full of Sage, Loomis and Winston and was perfectly happy till a friend let me cast his Templefork BVK 7 wt. Now I own one too, and the other big name rods are wall ornaments. Talk about good value for half or less the money!

The Echo3 Salwater series is another good price point rod that will do what you are looking for.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

If the BVK came in lengths longer than 9 foot I would have an arsenal of them!

I have two ten foot 7 wt Scott A3's. Very nice rods and a true med/fast action. World Wide Angler sells Scott rods in Anchorage. Yager's Fly Shop is a great place to order online if you can't find what you need locally. Ronn runs the shop and is a class act, ordered several of my Scott rods from him. Scott rods are by far my favorites. The A3 is slower than most other Scott rods, but not by much. It will really throw the line and you have good back bone for hook sets and landing fish. Great overall rod, especially for the price. A lifetime warranty of course from Scott, which is a "real" lifetime warranty.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by SIMMS View Post
    If the BVK came in lengths longer than 9 foot I would have an arsenal of them!
    They do. Just not for every weight. 4 & 5 come in 10' lengths as well. 6 & 7 come in 9' 6" as well.

I have a Powell tmx907-4 9' 7wt and I love it but if you
    Are looking for a good rod for a fair price you can't beat an echo

For an all around rod, I like the Native Run GLX. The 9'6" 7 weight is perfect for fall fishing, but with saltwater in your plans, I would go with the CrossCurrent GLX. Little stiffer tip and it can handle heavy wind better than the NR. Plus it is built with saltwater components.