Thread: Professional Retriever Trainers near Pheonix AZ

Default Professional Retriever Trainers near Pheonix AZ

Looks like I'll be in Goodyear, a suburb of Pheonix from end of November to almost the end of February. I had the wild idea enter my head a few days back to take Roca w/ me and give her to a Pro for that period of time. I thought I'd ask you folks if you have any first hand knowledge about Pros in that area.
    I'd like somebody close enough so that after she goes through the basics I can go spend time in the evenings or weekends and train. I'm a pretty good bird thrower.
    This would be a win-win for me. I have to be in Goodyear 5 days/week for radiation, after that I'm free for the most part. I'd get to spend time w/ Roca, train her up a bit, and work w/ a pro for a while to see what is new in the world of working dogs.
    I've only got a few days to decide, well 2 to be exact, as I leave the morning of November 30.
    If you have any ideas let me hear them.
    Thanks for the help,
    ARR

Hello AK River Rat,
    This is my first post, so if the format is incorrect, my apologies...As for your question a quick search of the net revealed a kennel/trainer named "Code 3 retrievers" in Waddel AZ. While I have no personal experience with them, they did have a professional looking website. From a geographic stand point this may be a option for you. Waddell is located on the west end of the valley, north of where you will be in Goodyear by 15-2 minutes. When we left AZ for AK 15 years ago, Goodyear was still a pretty small town with alot of cotton fields. Whlie there, you may want to see if Raul's and Theresa's mexican restaurant is still open. A small local place that we ate many a fine meal at. Also try some Poore Brothers potato chips. Again a local food. "Back in the day" we used to go the factory (in Goodyear) and get giant bags of "Brownies", chips that had been cooked a tad to long, for next to nothin'. If you call "Code 3" in AZ and bring your pup, watch out for the Cholla cactus and rattlers. Good luck,
    PCnAK

ARR, you should post this to the Retriever Training Forum. There are retriever people there from all over the nation. Several from the Phoenix area. You should get several responses. Join and post your question, heck, copy and paste your post here. Title it Phoenix area pros or some such.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...splay.php?f=24

PCnAK, thanks for the hints on Code 3 and places to eat. I did talk w/ the owner of Code 3. Sounded like a good guy, but over the phone that is not hard. He has been at it for a while, but his only apprenticeship was to a person I did not recognize. Maybe others would. He is going to be gone for 10 days or so and spending +/- $200 on boarding alone during that time does not thrill me.
    Howard, you are right. I never thought about who is traveling to AZ from northern states for winter work. Years back nobody kept land or kennels for winter training. They only worked out of the back of the truck. Not sure that would work for me, just have to see. I appreciate the link.
    My daughter heads down to AZ on the 22nd, so I do have a bit more time to look at options. Hate to lose those 3 weeks if this is something I really wanted though.
    Thanks for the responses,
    ARR