Thread: Duck hunting... Hens, and more hens

Default Duck hunting... Hens, and more hens

Greetings all,
    Can anyone tell me why, during just about the entire duck season, we see and shoot ALL hens around South Central? I never see a drake until just before ice-up and it's always Mallards.

In early spring I see drakes everywhere. Pintails, Widgeons, Greenwings...etc.

Where are all the drakes during the fall migration?

Puzzled,
    HD

Why not post this down on the waterfowl forum?

In the early season I shoot plenty of drakes. However, they are in eclipse plumage and their beak color is the only way to tell the difference between a drake and a hen.

You might want to have posted this in the waterfowling forum.

I noticed the same thing, I drive by small creeks, such as fish creek, and I see mostly drakes, but out on the refuge the only drakes we shoot are teal drakes, but not very often, Only shot 2 malards on the refuge, boh were hens. not sure why alot of teals though.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

They are all brown in the early season due to just coming out of eclipse. That's why we don't have hen/drake bag limits like many other states where the waterfowl season starts in October or later. You'll see drake mallards just starting to get their greenheads just before freezeup. Of course there are exceptions. Late season in Cali is very cool when the ducks are starting to pair up for mating. Pintail courtship flights are something to see.