Thread: Daily News Miner Editorial

Default Daily News Miner Editorial

Link to Editorial in Fairbanks Daily News Miner today concerning Subsistence Classification
    for the Chitina Subdistrict:

http://newsminer.com/bookmark/16571906
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

You actually have the nerve to think anybody is ignorant enough to read some editorial blather about the Copper that comes out of a Fairbanks Newspaper? It says it all right here-- "Many Fairbanks residents get a winterís supply of fish from the river, despite the 700-mile round-trip drive required to do so." if you already get your winters supply of fish whats the problem? You actually think hopping in the motorhome and driving 700 miles constitutes a need to take priority over all the sports fishermen in this state? Not to mention the millions of dollars brought into our state feeding millions of Americans. What the writer failed to mention, there is a subsistence fishery already in place in the Copper. You can dipnet for subsistence to your hearts content above the bridge in Chitna, which is even closer to Fairbanks than where the personal use fishery is! In the future, please do not post opinions from biased newspapers.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Thumbs up

The BOF voted down Fairbanks AC bid to reclassify personal use in Chitna, to subsistence. This being the 4th ruling on the matter in as many board cycles. Superior Court Judge Mike McDonald decided to abuse his power and waste more of the states time by ordering the board to better define the term "subsistence way of life". The board spoke and apparently hopping in the motorhome and driving 700 round trip miles to hire a guide to take them dipnetting was not a classified as a "subsistence way of life".

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Remember what the therapist said Fullbush, think happy thoughts!
    Last edited by lynch; 12-04-2011 at 21:10. Reason: spelling
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

I must be ignorante enough then. Two things, I did not feel that the editorial was very biases in either direction, just presented a number of questions. And, two, I fully agree it should not be subsistance. Just because it has "commercial fisherman" in there someplace does not necessarily mean its bashing them. Honest. It even states the commercial fisherman are responsibile for the hatchery and 20% of the fish hitting the river.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    ...biased newspapers.
    Is that doubly redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    \ The board spoke and apparently hopping in the motorhome and driving 700 round trip miles to hire a guide to take them dipnetting was not a classified as a "subsistence way of life".
    gee, really?
    didn't the indigenous peoples of the fairbanks area always do that?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

If we really want to address the subsistence issue, they should take a look at someone like me-I'm driving from Anchorage and I have no motorhome at all. There has got to be a sub-classification for those of us without motorhomes.

Yes they should address subsistence, If you don't qualify for a low income license you don't need subsistance. Personal use fisheries should have the same daily limit as any other way of harvest on that same river, 3 fish per day or 6 whatever you can get with a rod and reel, same limit for a dipnet.

In Oregon, subsistence was what we called back woods welfare