Thread: Kingfisher 2825 motor question

Default Kingfisher 2825 motor question

Hey,
    I just purchased a 2825 Kingfisher and was looking for some info on what size motors to power it with? Looks like there are a lot of them with 150's, is that enough? Does anyone have some info they would like to share on 150 or 225? Thanks

I have the same boat. If I had a choice I would go bigger than twin 150's. With 150 Hondas I can not get on step with one motor, the best I can do on one motor is 14 mph. Enough to get to safety but not fun to run 12 hours back to the harbor. I think a big single and a big kicker or twin 225-250's would be much better.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Search the forum. This has been discussed at length here before.

Thanks polardds,
    I have searched the discussions before. It looked like one guy switched to 225's and got 1.5 mpg. Im wondering how many people are happy with there twin 150's, and do they wish they went bigger? What are the 150's getting mph at wot?

Thanks JR2,
    My brother n law has twin 225 Honda and gets around 1.5 mpg at 30 mph. What do you get with the 150's? What is your mph at wot? The reason i ask is, with his twin 225's his max is 42 mpg not like your ever going to go that fast, but i am curious how much of the 150's power you are having to use to cruise at 30 mph. Thanks for your time

Quote Originally Posted by Juneau View Post
    Thanks JR2,
    My brother n law has twin 225 Honda and gets around 1.5 mpg at 30 mph. What do you get with the 150's? What is your mph at wot? The reason i ask is, with his twin 225's his max is 42 mpg not like your ever going to go that fast, but i am curious how much of the 150's power you are having to use to cruise at 30 mph. Thanks for your time
    Juneau: I've got a 2825 with twin Honda150's. This will be my fifth season and I'm happy with the setup. Best I do moderately loaded is 2.1 to 2.2 mpg. 4200 to 4400 Rpm gets me about 28 to 30 mph on the gps. No I cannot plane on one motor, but what the heck I'm in no hurry anyway. I would say in certain seas it would be nice to have a little more power. I usually take trips that last a few days so I'm usually loaded pretty heavy, Full fuel with 30 gallons extra in 5's, water food etc. and I find the power adequate. I like the extra mpg that the 150's seem to get although I'm not really sure exactly what the larger motor guys get. So that's my opinion and its based on how I like to use my boat. Others have different requirements, want to go faster, plane on one motor etc. and larger motors is their choice. So is there a perfect set up for every individual I just don't think so. Either way there are trade offs and you need to recognize what they are and motor up accordingly.

whatablast,
    Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Juneau,

How did you manage to get a kingfisher away from a dealer with no motors?

Sobie2

My top speed is right at 40 mph but I am burning 25 gallons an hour at that speed. My normal performance is right on par with whatablast. I am happy with it as that is what came on the boat. If I had a chance to reower I don't know what I would get. I would like to be able to get up on step with one motor but that sacrifices mpg. There are tradeoffs with either setup. Maybe twin 175's would be a decent trade off.

Sent from my GTablet-TnT-Lite using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'm thinking a single 150 will get you on step, when propped correctly. In other words, to do it right using the thought process some people use, you need the following: Two props (higher pitch, smaller diameter) for normal running. Two more alike props for spares (assuming you are running the preferred counter-rotating configuration). And, two more props with lower pitch, larger diameter that will get you on step with one engine, again, one left-hand and one right-hand. So, to do it right, you have 6 props. Sheesh. Plus, you need to get out on the dinghy to change to the correct prop.
    My 2, get a 300 single, and a 20 high-thrust kicker.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Thanks Guys,
    All the info was much appreciated. My brother n law has the 225 Honda his top speed is 41-42 mph at 40 gph. He cruises at 30 mph at 4300-4400 rpm's for 16-17 gallons an hour. He is either seriously under propped or the power to weight ratio is that big of a deal. At the results you guys shared, i would go with the 150's all day long. Of course it helps that they cost 11,000.00 less. I decided to go with Yamaha 150's. The reason i went with yamaha, is i had a 22' hewes sea runner in 05 with the 150 on it and was pretty pleased with the motor. I never worried if one 150 could get me on step, it will get you to the dock allot faster than a 9.9-20 hp. My Father-n-law has the 350 yamaha and a 9.9, this summer his lower unit went out 60-70 miles from home. It took him 2 days to troll home. Thanks for the post!

I say go big!

... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!