Thread: mulitple snare trail set (fox lynx yote) And leg hold trail set.......

Default mulitple snare trail set (fox lynx yote) And leg hold trail set.......

Well I've had this issue in the past...finding out that I have mulitple species running a trail I like trapping off of.....

I should be running a leg hold but love snaring it.

Of the three close to home sets, I had 2 miss's. One swung the snare like it was a gate. the other knocked it down. They are going through them, so scent a problem.

I am thinking my loops too small and or too low. I was leaning towards fox, so picked up the short snares which give me I believe a 10" or so loop and I am going about 9"es from the ground. Should I go higher? I know probably a dumb question. What bothers me is I'v egone higher and had what I think was a fox duck one....

So, whats your set? Loops size and height? when setting for a cat? yote or fox, or a multiple set trail like I am running....and how high off the ground.....

gonna do my foot line tomorrow. Hopefully it fares a little better.

I also was wondering....the trail set you run over with your sled. Is a #2 coil too small or should I bump up to my #3 longsprings? I have all three walking my snowmachine trail. (I get lazy and run it on the sled once in awhile lol). I am worried that setting a number 2 and running it over that it wont have enough uumph to fire if it gets stepped on. Any tips on this set and how to do it. I dont have wolves running my line, lynx yotes fox is it.

wow, no one?

Just to add to the mess...I rode my longer line today and found a wolve and a wolverine running it. Just when I thought it was safe to put out some number 4's and do some trail sets.

I ment to say scent isnt the problem on my snare spots....they are hitting them and either nocking them down or out of the way. I am wondering if I'm to low for the cats.....bumped a few up higher today see what happens.

Guess I am just reconfirming how poor of a trapper i am LOL......

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    wow, no one?

Just to add to the mess...I rode my longer line today and found a wolve and a wolverine running it. Just when I thought it was safe to put out some number 4's and do some trail sets.

I ment to say scent isnt the problem on my snare spots....they are hitting them and either nocking them down or out of the way. I am wondering if I'm to low for the cats.....bumped a few up higher today see what happens.

Guess I am just reconfirming how poor of a trapper i am LOL......
    When you set your snares, try putting a short 1/4" dia. stick directly onder the bottom of the loop, prefferably a stiff dry stick. this will make the shorter varmits raise their head slightly to avoid the stick. Like wise a larger stick about 3/4" dia, at the top of the loop will make the taller varmits duck. try to use sticks without foliage to keep you snares as open looking as possible - works for me.
    Mist

Thanks for the tip....I typically find something small and put it underneath angling in..but never thought too put one on top too.

I am in a pretty wind blown area and snaring along the treelines where they are entering and exiting the brush. Kind of leary of putting out any drags. Was reading the wolf trapping manual tonight and noticed where they frozen down the chain. Thinking I might try this for the trail and snow hole sets. Got a lot of fur running around, just gotta figure a better way to trapm.

There was another one in the wolf manual, its from dirt trapping sort of..using a stake to anchor a snare in a field. The manual shows him using a peg/stick with some number 9 wire for support and a drag for the snare? I thought about freezing one down or running a chain to a good size log as my anchor....

Got all kinds of ideas, cant seem to pin them down other than in the wide open snowmachine trail. They're hunting the brush lines and hitting random spots. Not enough snow to funnel them through yet.

Ideas????

if I only had trees....its a new area, not used to the wind blown either too much snow or nothing, and no place to anchor.

Is it out of the question to go as far as to bring in a concrete brick for an anchor? I am not going to mess with the wolf, its the first time the landowner heard of one being around.

got my head wrapped around this the last couple weeks, coming up with blanks.......

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    if I only had trees....its a new area, not used to the wind blown either too much snow or nothing, and no place to anchor.

Is it out of the question to go as far as to bring in a concrete brick for an anchor? I am not going to mess with the wolf, its the first time the landowner heard of one being around.

got my head wrapped around this the last couple weeks, coming up with blanks.......

Bring what ever is necessary into the field to do the job. Remember the lighter the drag the longer the chain. I prefer to make my snare sets as solidly anchored as possible, with your wind blown area tracking would be a little more difficult. I would suggest a large bait inside the brush area they are using, and snare the trails into the bait. should help with finding an anchor. If you don't set right on top of the bait they will continue to use the bait without fear. set back a ways so a caught varmit does not ruin the bait site or make other varmits cautious of the site. If the area you are seeing them has no good spots to set or tie down the idea is to lure them into a better spot. (Bait) I would also use your larger traps, trying to stuff a lynx foot into a #2 does not happen all the time. a single wrap of wire on the jaw of a #4 can save breaking bones on a fox but still allow you to catch the varmits you are targeting. Good luck ~Mist~

Each animal you mention requires a different loop size and height above the ground. I like 8 and 8 for fox. 9 in. loop 11 in. above ground for lynx. Haven't ever set for yotes but 10 and 10 is common. 10 and 10 will also catch lynx but may give you an occasional body catches.
    I dislike setting in my regularly traveled trail. Too time consuming. If you like using trail sets, consider making side trails from your main trail and snaring those. I have had good luck walking off my snogo trail to a spruce tree, making a baited set for lynx with foot hold, then snaring that trail for lynx. Likely a trail like that would also get fox and yotes.
    Side trails would also be usable for blind foothold sets.
    Have you considered stakes for anchoring? You can drive a stake into frozen ground if the ground isn't full of rocks. You will have difficulty getting the stake back tho, unless you have a special puller. I do a lot of fox snaring. You can get away with anchoring to a willow about the thickness of your thumb...........but you need to anchor close to the ground and have other willows around to entangle in.
    Here's one I caught in some low willows on my 4 wheeler trail:

Here's another I caught in grass with a staked snare and support wire.............you can see I blocked one track of the ATV with a snow chunk.

Hope this gives you some solutions.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I almost scored on a large bait, had a road killed moose not far from the house, was hoping to get the guts legs head, something....they hauled the hole thing off!

Great pics MT! I have and am considering staking down or using one big log for a drag lol. I think the bulk of it is yotes more than fox and lynx though there is both. The wolf was a fluke, at first I was pretty sure it was a lynx, not paying much attention.

I think I'm going to do both. A big drag with a leg hold and using chain or cable long enough to get to a tree, along with a number 9 support on a log to hold the snare in place. I'm not TOO far out. I was thinking maybe running a little closer to the woods this time and blocking the trail like you did with the snow block MT, great idear! I don't have that thick of brush in the fields but the one wind row I 'm pretty sure a drag will do quite well on now after asking all of this. There is a couple spots I think I can pull off a snare to a tree with either a double snare or setting a log with my number 11 as my support. Been playing with how to rig it the past couple of nights. Took one of the attements from the wolf manual that holds it snug and keeps the cam locks from falling. I'm concerned they may slip a little...picking up a file and filing some teeth tomorrow after work and getting on with boiling. Why do I have to make something so simple so dang complicated. ha!

Its either that or a snow hole just off my trail with the drag in the woods. I've got two more spools of chain to cut up, going to leave 2 of them quite long. Maybe next year I'll remember to run closer to the bushes .

I picked up another dozen 60" thompsons, I may cut in half and make new snares with the 2nd part. Afterall if my loop is right up near my wire do I need all that extra wire doing nothing? I was originally using the shorter fox and yote snares (forgot the length), and may pull them down this trip and re set up. I like the heavier wire, and need to adjust some loop heights and diameters. I think I'm too low and too small for all but fox and so far they're proving elusive .

THanks again for all the help! If nothing else its a heckuva ton of fun. If I havent said it once...I'll say it 100 more times.....

<------ the worlds worst trapper

I make all my snares with 11 gauge wire attached to enough snare cable to make a 9in loop, only takes a minute to set up. I use 8 and 8 for fox and 9 and 14 for lynx. I put snares right on my main trail and run a path through the brush to go around it and I will also use well used rabbit trails that I pack down and hang a flashy attractor back the trail and put a snare closer to my main trail ( for lynx ). another good set is to make a trail on a bend in your trapline to make a shortcut through and hang a snare or for lynk you can put an attractor in the middle and a snare on each side of the shortcut. Set your snares for fox or lynk there's no middle ground for both.......