Thread: New Waders

Default New Waders

Hi Guys,
    I will be heading to Stuggart Arkansas for some green timber hunting, And I will need to pick up a new set of waders
    And I was wondering what everybody uses these days? I was thinking about buying some breathable ones and then just layering under them, but I don't know if they will be warm enough.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Jeff

i take both 5mm and breathable. it can be real cold in AR. in dec and jan.Attachment 55277 if your hunting in a boat or blind the whole time light wt and layers will work. you going to a lodge or private hunt? what week you going?

We will be hunting on public lands around stuggart, mostly timber but we might try to sneak in a goose hunt

Go buy a pair of Simms G3's or G4's and then never worry about waders again. Just adjust your underlayers for the outside/water temps.

I finally bit the bullet and bought Simms this year. Coincidentally this was the first year I didn't have wader probelms.

I actually like the 'boot on' breathable waders for cold weather. I can appropriately layer my clothes for the conditions. The 'boot on' are way warmer than cramming your feet in tight wading boots. Just add extra socks to the 'boot on' waders. Loose fitting boot on waders are way easier to get in and out of. The only drawback I can think of is, the boot on is quite a bit clumsier to do much walking around in. I wouldn't advise them for walking around and jump shooting, but for sitting in a blind, its a no brainer.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I Have two pair of simms guide model waders, which I am happy with. I only have the felt bottom boots.
    I have spent a few hours in the rivers up here. In arkansas I will be standing in waist high water for five hours straight
    and I was just worried about getting cold.
    I have the simms fleece underwear, which I use up here most of the time. But I don't know if it will be enough.
    Jeff

Mack's Prairie Wings is there in Stuttgart - it's pretty much the biggest, most bad-ass duck hunting store in the world. You might run in the store and try on some, although they're right about the Simms waders.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I've become a fan of canvas waders down here in Arizona, I can layer heavy to stay warm under them but they are a lot tougher than neoprenes.

Since I wear my waders while dip netting too, I got mighty jealous of my friend with the built in boots, that way you don't have to worry about putting soaking wet waider footies into wet filled-with-sand size too small sneakers.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I picked up a set of merino wool thigh high socks and they were great standing chest deep in water for hours. I just wore a set of poly jogging pants over them.

Just talked to the guy I will be hunting with. He said most everybody wears the 5mm neoprene from macks sports
    He said i might freeze in the simms waders.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker Air View Post
    Just talked to the guy I will be hunting with. He said most everybody wears the 5mm neoprene from macks sports
    Jeff
    I've been to Stuttgart AR and it don't get nowhere close to as cold as it does here. I have used neoprene waders and I really dislike them, they are clammy, heavy and are a PITA when they get wet and muddy and take forever to dry out. Breathable waders with good fleece under them will keep you toasty. I would also recommend some with a zipper, I would not use ones without a zipper anymore, nothing worst than doing the peepee dance while trying to get all your layers down to take a squirt. If I were home I have a pair of neoprene ones I would give you. If you do get any with footies, make sure to get wader shoes that are larger than you normally wear, you need to extra space to keep from getting cold feet. I just upgraded to the new Korkers Metalhead Boots with the Boa speed laces, they are awesome, no more wet laces and they are so easy to get on and off.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker Air View Post
    Jeff
    when in Rome!!!!

I used to hunt almost exclusively in neoprenes unless I was in my kayak and then I used my clumsy ol'breatheable bootfoots. If I was going to Stuttgart or just outside my house today in snowy, cold Anchorage my choice would be the same....Simms with the appropriate layers. Neoprenes are not warmer if you add layers to your breatheables. However, they will be clammy and uncomfortable after the first day. If you're dying to buy a new pair of waders try the neoprenes. If it were me I just take the Simms and spend the extra money on some other form of entertainment....I hear the pole dancers are cute down there. lol

One other tip is to use those Therma Care back wraps. They are just a giant heat pad, but they stay hot for 12 hours or so. They are incredible for keeping you warm. I use them all the time and took one for each night I spent on Kodiak, stayed warm and toasty all night and they were still warm the next morning. I use them also when fishing in the cold like in the pics above, having heat along your back helps heat the blood flowing down your back and warms your entire body. Great for snow machining and predator hunting. During some of the -40 stuff we get in Fairbanks I've worn two, one on my back and the other on my stomach.

Just an idea, stay warm and have fun.

Steve
    Founding Member

Have had really good luck with Hodgman Guidelite breathable zippered bootfoot waders

Going on three years both fishing and hunting in AK. They have taken a beating, in and out of boats, ice, logs, trees, and no rips, tears, or leaks.

Hodgman company has been bought and sold lately but I have no complaints with this product.

Quote Originally Posted by banded View Post
    Have had really good luck with Hodgman Guidelite breathable zippered bootfoot waders

Going on three years both fishing and hunting in AK. They have taken a beating, in and out of boats, ice, logs, trees, and no rips, tears, or leaks.

Hodgman company has been bought and sold lately but I have no complaints with this product.
    I too have had good luck with these. I will replace them with Simms, but until they start to leak my Hodgmans will get the call. This was my 3rd year in them also.

Founding Member