Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snaring rabbits

Default snaring rabbits

I've never snared rabbits out on my line and I've decided to do it this year to just keep the bait coming in. With that said what size loop should I be using and how high off the ground?

I put a couple out on my line today that only open up to a 4" x 5" loops that are pigtailed to #11 wire that I wrapped around a willow. Not sure these snares may have been made for squirrels. I put the bottom of the loop about 4" or 5" from the ground. Put them in thick willows with heavy rabbit trails.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 017.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	55275

you want a loop about as big as your fist, maybe a tad bigger, and a fist off the ground, you want thin wire or cable, I use No 22 wire (I think) its a little this but only one rabbit has broke free and thats cause I didn't twist it very well, if you use cable, get as thin as you can find. you would want to block your snares a little more, cause from my experience, they have no hesatations to go around it is something looks a little fishy. I like to set my snares under low fallen logs where they go under, when I can, cause its a natural fullel and they have to duck down to get under it, so i pretty much block off the whole thing with a snare. if its very high off the ground set the snare normal, if its really low (say 6 or so inches) set a snare so the top is right along the botom of the log, but make the loop just a smidgen bigger. remember, they typically come through every 3 days, (at least that when i catch them) and there is rarely more than 2 rabbits on the same loop, typically only one, at least around here, and I am in a pretty trapped out area though. If you trap all the rabbits off a trail, in a few months there is a very real possibility that there will be more moved in to it. keep an eye out for fox tracks too. if your in a good area, you can drag a log behind you and set snares in your trail. if you got any more questions post em up, I have been snaring rabbits for 5 years( dad started me with that before traps, glad he did) so I like to think I'm pretty good at it, mostly cause I specifically target rabbits, not as just a side thing to do while on the line.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

FFG's advice is spot on.

Soft, inexpensive picture hanging wire makes great Hare snares too.

Shame to just target them for bait tho; they're about my favorite meat ever. My mouth is watering just thinking about stewed Hare; Mmmmmmm.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That looks good... I make my loops a bit smaller.
    Also, I think the KEY is funneling. Get twigs, branches etc... and funnel them in/block off any other way to go.

If it is a two way route, both sides. My "rabbit fences" are about 4-5 feet on each side in a V/U shape.

Typically I block about a foot out, less if they are crossing under a tree say 6 inches, as long as the trail is straight (I've seen some where the go under the length of hte tree for 10 or so feet before comming out.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Didn't read other posts but I take students out and snare rabbits every week and it's rather simple.

We make our loops about a fist + 1/2" around your fist... Find a well beaten path and place it about 3 fingers up off the snow... If it's hard packed then maybe all 5 fingers... Soft powder, 3 will do. Every week we put out about 8-12 snares and come back with a rabbit. It works...

With funneling I try to use natural funneling like two trees or brush, etc. We also use drag sticks and that'll help with adding to the funneling and not to mention it's fun to track those suckers...

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Predator View Post
    With funneling I try to use natural funneling like two trees or brush, etc. We also use drag sticks and that'll help with adding to the funneling and not to mention it's fun to track those suckers...
    I've never used drags, do you set more than one snare on a trail?

I prefer to set snares that are as humane as possible. Having to track an animal seems to imply it didn't die. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I understand the humane side of things but the true reason for the drags is bc the wire we use is too brittle to be anchored off to a tree... We've found the wire will snap to easily.

All I was saying is the drags allow for a little funneling without having to set too much up. Leaning a drag up against a tree with the loop over the trail provides simple funneling that works.

Hopefully all hunters and trappers try to be as humane as possible with their takes. But if we want to talk about humans tactics, maybe we can start a new thread. I thought we were talking about how to snare rabbits.

When you have converging trails multiple snares will be a good thing. It really depends on what's going on and where these guys are moving... I also like to throw a foothold or fox snare around the rabbit snares bc I've found those guys love to come in for a free meal.

i set pretty much like everyone has said, just made my first sets of the year and i got 1 for 4 the first night and 3 for 8 the second (though i lost one to a fat blind deaf husky... it was a bit close to the house ). I just started using a piece of lath to hang the snare from, then wiring one end of it to something secure. seems to work pretty well, and lends quite a bit of flexibility when there is no convenient branch to wire it to.
    i use #20 picture hanging wire.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Predator View Post
    I understand the humane side of things but the true reason for the drags is bc the wire we use is too brittle to be anchored off to a tree... We've found the wire will snap to easily.
    Gotcha, and appreciate that. You should give the picture hanging wire a try. It's real soft, easy to anchor, and doesn't break. It's pretty cheap too.
    #Resist

thanks for all the info! I do like snares that are set at a certain size you open all the way up that are pig tailed to #9 wire. I'll let you all know how I do.

One more question, for you guys that are making your own rabbit snares are you using a loc on the wire? What stops it from sliding loose?

I use the soft multi-strand picture wire and fashion a simple slip loop. Just twist the end of the wire to make a small eye, and feed the free end through it. Don't over think it; no tools or fancy lock necessary. Anchor the snare from above or off to the side, but higher is better than lower. The soft wire cinches down snug and stays put. It doesn't want to spring open like the stiffer stuff. Bunnies go in, but they don't come out.

Where is that thread from a year or so ago about good fast methods to field dress a bunny? There was good info there that I'd like to study on again. Can't seem to find it....
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    One more question, for you guys that are making your own rabbit snares are you using a loc on the wire? What stops it from sliding loose?
    LIke what Iofthetaiga said, twist a small loop, I like mine a little smaller than a penny, they way they can't get gummed up with hair/ice ect. and sent the length of with through it, my snares are made on the spot, I typically cut off about 11/2 feet and make the noose and wire it to what ever is close and tough. I might make a dead man if there is a real hot trail in an open spot. Never thought of drags.

No locks needed, the weight of the rabbit bouncing on the end, it will bend and make a nice little crease that the loop is hard to loosen up. I was debating switching to "real" snares, cause of the ever present fox. but you can't beat a 100 foot roll of No 20 wire for 3 bucks. thats about 10 cents a rabbit, from my calculations.

picture wire is all we used too and it works good, have caught tons of em, that's what us kids would do growin up go run around and catch rabbits our rule for making the loop was always the size of your palm around the bottom of your fingers and thumb and bottom and side of your hand, about 4 inches diameter we'd also use a couple twigs and stuff to keep em on the trail, kinda like a gate on the side of the trail, just a few twigs is plenty to make em not wanna go off their trail... we've never lost one usin just picture wire...

does picture wire come in a spool? where do you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    does picture wire come in a spool? where do you get it?
    u can get it pretty much anywhere, they usually have em in like 15 ft or 25 ft rolls and it usually costs like 1-3 bucks, fred meyer or wal mart or anywhere should have it, not sure how big of a spool they might sell bulk or where u would get it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast