Thread: Moving to Anchorage

Default Moving to Anchorage

Hello my fellow waterfowlers. I am in the military, and got orders to Elemdorf AFB. I am a huge waterfowl hunter, I have been hunting the Platte River here in Nebraska for many years. I plan on becoming a resident as soon as I arrive in Feburary. I have many questions, and would love any advice you will be willing to lend. Is most of the waterfowl huning on private lands (hunting leases), or public? Can you use motorized spinners (mojo's)? Is there a waiting period on become a resident with resident licens? Most of my goose hunting I do down here is with full body decoys out of fields, is most of the goose hunting done over water, where you only need floaters, or should I bring most of my full bodies? I have a ton more questions than this if anyone is willing to give me a phone number, and could answer anymore it would be great. Thanks for all the help can't wait to come to Alaska!

You could also spend a few minutes and search for your answers on this forum since most of your questions have been asked many times before, or look back over the last few years and enjoy all the information already posted up. This forum has more info than you might care to read about. I've posted up some good info over the years so start by searching my posts in this forum this last year.

Alaska is nothing like hunting in the states. Private land around anchorage is someone's driveway or back yard. Geese are taken incidentally to ducks. The few fields around here grow hay for milk cows and dog team bedding. Geese don't eat that so there aren't many geese. A dozen geese decoys might be useful one or two days of the season. Once you get to JBER go to the runway command area and check out the monument to the 29 fallen airmen and you will soon learn why there are not a lot of geese around Anchorage anymore and why there is no plan to let them increase their population again.

There is a waiting period of 12 months before you are a legal resident, but the military gets a special license so that won't matter much for you.

The waterfowl season around Anchorage is usually pretty short...from Sept. 1 until freeze-up mid/late October. As AK Ray posted southcental is not a hotbed for geese. There are some that roost on the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge, but they are difficult to ambush. You'll need your Hunter Education card to get the special permit to hunt the ACWR. I wouldn't bring more than 2 dozen duck decoys. There are goose opportunities on a day lease in Delta Junction 6+ hours east of Anchorage. That will be pay for play. Most all other hunting up here is public land.

If you'll have family back in Nebraska I'd leave some gear there and plan on flying back for a family visit mixed with some duck hunting after everything freezes up here. You can extend your season here by travelling to Homer, Cordova, Kodiak, etc but that may cost you as much as flying back to Nebraska.

i would spend some time and do some research on the forum. the 1st thing you are going to need in my opinion is a boat or a scanoe or something with a motor. there are a few places you can walk in and hunt but if you want to do any good you need a boat. you can send me a message closer to next season and if i have a bigger motor i might be able to take you out in october but im not sure if i will be able to go myself because we will just be getting back from oversseas. like akray said even if you do not become a resident you can still get your hunting license for cheap. you can use mojo's up here all season and i have no clue about the goose hunting up here, i shot at 1 all season and that was just trying to help my buddy kill it

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaboy View Post
    Hello my fellow waterfowlers. I am in the military, and got orders to Elemdorf AFB. I am a huge waterfowl hunter, I have been hunting the Platte River here in Nebraska for many years. I plan on becoming a resident as soon as I arrive in Feburary. I have many questions, and would love any advice you will be willing to lend. Is most of the waterfowl huning on private lands (hunting leases), or public? Can you use motorized spinners (mojo's)? Is there a waiting period on become a resident with resident licens? Most of my goose hunting I do down here is with full body decoys out of fields, is most of the goose hunting done over water, where you only need floaters, or should I bring most of my full bodies? I have a ton more questions than this if anyone is willing to give me a phone number, and could answer anymore it would be great. Thanks for all the help can't wait to come to Alaska!

907-227-4261 Duckdon

Good advice so far. An assignment to Elmendorf is a good thing but waterfowl hunting is not the best up here. The AWACS crash prompted serious goose reductions on base and around Anchorage. There are no corn fields to hunt geese in. A non-resident military memeber gets to buy a license at basically resident cost. You would still need a guide during the first year hunting the big game species a guide is required for. Be careful on whether you chose to become an actual resident or not. For hunting purposes there is no advantage one way or another. I retired from Elmendorf, now known as JBER.

One thing you can look into while you wait for your one year in state for residency is the Alaska small game license. I think it only costs 20 bucks for non residents, add that with your state and federal stamps and you can be hunting ducks for the same price that all the residents pay. It's only good for birds and small game, but worth it if you just want to chase birds around.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Bamaboy.

I will tell you this...as I have hunted the Platte River..Republican River..Kansas River..every wetland in Kansas and Mo..from 1993-2000 Guided Milford and Tuttle Creek lake for years...

I brought everything I had up here...yeppers..over 300 duck decoys...and over 200 goose decoys...many of my fellow waterfowlers on here will agree...sell them there, or put them in storage..lol Bring about 4-5 dozen duck decoys and maybe a dozen or two Canada floaters and a half dozen of those GH Full Bodies you got.

I still go with big spreads...just because i did it for so long there in the Midwest..but have many friends here in AK that I hunt with that only use a dozen or so. They are just as successful as me..but just hunt different. In big spreads, I mean maybe 30-60 here verses 150-300 there..lol

The goose hunting here is NOTHING like there.. I know it is hard to believe..but believe me when I say you will be hard pressed to see a group outside of town let along get them to cup their wings into your little spread. Its the truth! I have used 3dz out on the DL before along with 40 something duck decoys and got three lone honkers to lock up(only because I was under them as they passed over)..we bagged a couple..but that was it for the day..IE (pass shooting if at best)

To top it off....sell the decoys and invest in a great little duckboat with a hyper drive motor/longtail..it will increase your odds here in AK.

Lastly...I know you have that fancy lanyard with probably about 5 or 6 calls on it....it will hurt...but you will only need about two up here..lol

Hope we can hunt together when you get up....great bunch of guys on this forum..but donít go looking for any special handouts...meaning special spots, honey holes etc..,...we hunt hard, and have to work for every bird...so the days of having those big flocks of greenheads and redheads of around 50 cupped and committed are gone...settle for a bakerís dozen if that..and to be honest..the weather plays a huge part on our flight path up here...locals are here for about 3 weeks..then push out...mid October before the northern ones come down and that is short lived. You will have fun and knowing you..and will push to the salt for more action when it gets colder and the marshes lock up....great times.

Didnít mean to make it sound bad...it aint. Just a different opinion and perspective...remain positive...but lighten the load.
    J
    DH01

PS...spend hours on this forum.. you will see some great pictures and read some great stories on here...mine included.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Ducks season like everyone said is very short here unless you get into sea ducks and that will carry you for another month or two.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK