Thread: What is a good setup for shooting Coyote

Default What is a good setup for shooting Coyote

What is a good set up (rifle, cartridge, scope) for hunting coyote? Fixing to go in May, need so imput. beartooth
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    What is a good set up (rifle, cartridge, scope) for hunting coyote? Fixing to go in May, need so imput. beartooth
    Too many variables exist to give one definate answer, but I've had good results with a Remington 700 ADL chambered in 22-250 with a Leupold 4-12x40MM AO...

I have also shot them with a 25-06, AR-15, Mini-14, .300 Wty, 12 gauge shotgun, .22 Mag, and 30-06....

- Clint

Depending on the terrain and how many times they have been around hunters, a coyote can be pretty wiley.

If you are going to keep/sell the pelts you do not what to blast a huge hole through them.

I have used a 223 and a 220 Swift. A 243 or other 6mm works well with the right bullets. I tried a 7 x57 mauser once and the exit hole was rather substantial.

The Sierra Blitzkings seem to blow apart and fragment at 223rem velocities so yo don't usually have an exit hole. I use a heavy barreled AR-15 for that sort of thing now with a 1 in 9 twist. Much to the annouyance of some magazine writers.

Back when I had a M-70 bull barrel in 220 swift, I had a fixed 8 power Leupold mounted on it. They don't make that anymore. And it was a little low powered in some cases. maybe a varible scope that goes up to 14 power would work out well for a coyote situation where you are waiting on the edge of a field.

If you want a fairly accurate rifle that is not overpriced. Savage makes a descent priced Varmint gun in 22-250 rem. A good caliber and easier to find ammo and reloading stuff than the old 220 Swift. You can get one for under $600. Then put a good scope on there and off you go. A long range varmint getter without breaking the bank.

Here is one add.

12FVSS
    .22-250 long range

GA Listing Number976471486 Seller Stock #CategoryBenchrest/Varmint Rifles Misc. Condition.Asking Price$579.00
    NIB, Factory New Savage Model 12FVSS - 12 Series Varmint in .22-250 Remington cal. w/ New AccuTrigger - Infinitely adjustable from 1.5 to 6 lbs. Stainless steel SHORT action w/ oversized bolt handle. 1:12 twist, 26" SS heavy, free-floating & button-rifled barrel. Internal 4rd box magz & swivel studs. Drilled/tapped for scope mounts. Black synthetic stock w/ positive checkering, dual pillar bedding. 8.75 lbs. OA L = 46". Box/papers. A super varmit in 22-250 Rem. Please see all terms. Thanks.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

.308 makes a good coyote round in 130 or 150 gr. bullets. I prefer the Thompson Encore or Pro Hunter; however an AR does sound fun. What ever you take make sure you can shoot it well, a coyote often doesn’t offer one a second shot. Good luck, have fun, and let us know how your trip goes.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

Default MRC Walkabout...

..rifle, chambered in 22-250 AI does the trick for me.

Well,

I have had luck with the 30-06 and 110 grain sierra plinkers as well as the 130 grain boat tails. They never know what hits them.

Ron

My buddy and I pop them in TX with the little 17 cal, same for foxes etc. Nice little hole

Doug

I thought about the 17 rem but felt that cal might be too small for wolfs at longer distances. I went with the Stevens model 200 in 223 with a Burris FF2 3-9, the price was right and it shoots great for a setup around $500.

I would be comfortable using a 22 mag or 17HMR under 100 yards.

I get the feeling a 30 cal will be just a tad much for these lil critters.

bullet selection will be crucial. After viewing the damage of a vmax bullet I will not be using those next winter. I want to try a mc and see what kind of luck I have with those, if I wasn't keeping the fur than I would be using the highly explosive bullets.

I meant the 17hmr

Doug

I personally have started thinking about something like Weatherby's CFP. A contender would also do nicely. In my experience I really appreciate the ability to move easily if something is coming in over my shoulder. Some like them light and portable others heavy, anchored, and steady. Works either way. I am just a lightweight I guess

Waking them with a conteder in .223 is big fun

Cool

Well, I went to order a Savage varminter in 243 at my gun shop today and when I was there the shop owner had a Ruger Target Gray in 22-250 with a Ziess Conquest on it and I ask why was it traded in? He said the person was trying to use it for deer hunting and it was to heavy. I guess it is to heavy for deer hunting and certainly not the cartridge one ought to use though I know some who have used a sporter version of the 22-250 and killed deer. Well I ask how much? After a while of talking and shooting the breeze, I bought the rig for $525.00 (not including tax) and there is not a mark on this thing to and it was really clean. Since I have a carry liscience I now own today a 22-250 in a Ruger Target Gragy Target with a Ziess conquest. Time to begin reloading and playing around.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good catch, congrats!

boy my math shows that was a good snag! I have plowed a ton of song dogs with the 22-250, you will like it. go get a lil varget and some 40-55gr v-max's and enjoy.

Default 17 Hmr

I would second the 17 HMR I used it in Ohio for all my varmits. I have a savage bolt action with a target barrel shooting the CCI V-Max 17 HMR rounds with a 4-16x40 mil dot. I also take a bipod or shooing sticks for thoes longs shots. The 17HMR is a tackdriver that makes a small little hole in the hide.

Default Coyote Gun

Anything that draws blood. The other coyotes will do the rest. Shoot for the gut, make'em suffer a little bit.

Good Hunting,

KatzMO

My vote...Rem 700 BDL, heavy barrel w/Leupold 6.5-20x50mm AO. got 630$ in the whole setup. Never shot anything with it yet, but i will!

Depends on how you want to hunt yotes..do you want to blast them at 400 yards or do you want to get up close and personal?
    If you call them, your shot can be as close as 5 yards, or they may hang up and persent a 400 yard shot. Up close a shotgun is a nice touch, or rifles like the 17 hrm, 22 mag, 223 , 222,. Out to 100 yd. for the 17 and 22, and 200+ yard for the 223. Scopes from 3X9 X40 goodnuff.
    If you want to smackem way out there, the 220 swift, 243, 22-250, 204. 25-06 are good for go! Use a variable scope up to 18 power, 24X50. I like the bigger window when I got to reach out for them.
    If you are not after hides, the skys the limit..I got a buddy who shoots a 7mm mag., shoots in those 1000 yard shoots, pops them out 600 yards, misses very few. We don't hunt well together, he likes to popem way out there and I want to count the hairs on thier chins! Desertdog