Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for new Swaro binocs and spotting scope

Default Advice for new Swaro binocs and spotting scope

I would like to get some advice on a new spotting scope and pair of binoculars. I want to splurge and get Swarovski and wanted to ask y'alls opinions before I do so. I realize that many of you have tons of experience and probably have varied preferences but I wanted to get some input before I shell out that much money!

With so many people using range finders, does it make sense to get the EL Range (bino with range finder), and if so does the 8x42, or 10x42 make more sense? As for spotter, is the 65 or 80 mm a more useful size. I plan on using them for caribou and sheep.

Thanks,
    Brian

This isn't exactly what you asked, but I bought some 10x42 SLCs a few years ago and absolutely love them. No regrets. I use a 800 yd rangefinder to varify distances.

I hunt for all big game species here in AK which means glassing large wide-open spaces and thats' why I prefer the 10x. My spotter is a Leupold 12x40x60. I'd like to get the Swaro 20x40x65 spotter someday. I'm not sure I'd like to pack a 85mm scope around the sheep hills, but have no experience using the 85 either.

Good luck - you'll love the high end optics!

I am kind of in the same boat although not ready to drop serious coin on Swaro's.
    I've been lurking here for a bit, just a little lower on the main forum page. Lot's of good info.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Outdoor-Optics

I don't trust any electronics to last 20 years but do expect my glass to last that long! I prefer to keep the two separate.

Honest advice and opinions is what I want- and I appreciate them. The comments about the electronics not lasting is definitely something to consider. It sure seemed like a nice combination though!

I have always 'made do' with lower end bino's and spotter, but made the mistake of looking through some really great glass and just can't seem to adjust to the lesser now.

Thanks again.
    Brian

IHMO 10x42 for open country and the 65 mm objective spotter for packability. Whenever I had big spotters I'd invariably leave them in my truck due to bulk and weight. What good is that? Next time I'm going with the Nikon 50 mm ED spotter but if I had the money I'd do the Swaro 65mm for sure.

I think the advice to leave the rangefinder and the bino in seperate packages is a sound one... I like the 10x42s very much.

I prefer the 60/65 size glass better than the 80mm for hunting use... not convinced the 80mm has any real advantage under most atmospheric conditions.

Man i love my 80MM swaro and the weight is very much worth it to me! its 10 oz differant than the 65 mm but when i'm sitting on the mountain side and can accuratly judge sheep from a couple miles a way...worth every penny of weight savings. just one mans thought. I also use leica geovids 8x42, they weigh the same as having a pair of el's & a leica 1200 range finder. I used to love the 10x42's for the magnifcation but most the time in ak i have found the 8x more helpfull for spotting game & the spotter for trophy quality. It's really nice to have the all in one package and pull up bino's range without digging for equipment. Also camerlandny.com normally has some pretty sweet prices on optics that are shelf models. look here http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-leica.html

pair of leica 8x42's for 1800$ pretty sweet deal there! or you can spend the $ of the El's for the same price, If it were me you know i would get the Geovids, Awesome glass & then it saves you from buying a ranger finder. Good luck on your optics, what ever brand you choose you cant go wrong with quality glass. Thats what makes fun is finding whats best for you.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts. I sure wish I was able to check out all the equipment in a real setting like what has been brought up on the forums before. I used a boat captain's Leica's while looking for bears around Kukak Bay and that is when I decided I was going to get some good glass!

Y'all take care and once again I appreciate your thoughts!

BEE

I've done a fair bit of sheep hunting and a few others as well. Don't think there are any wrong of right choices, just what is good for you and that can be different for each hunt.

For binos I use a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x30 and have found no need to ever upgrade these, if I want a closer look I use the spotter. I find the 8x30s a good balance between magnification and weight.

Went through several range finders and found the Leica CRF Rangemaster 1200 Rangefinder to be the best, it does not do all the fancy stuff, but it has always gave me the range and that is all I need. With a known range and a ranging reticle scope, I can put some lead on target. Also a great tool for ranging terrain to determine distance for stalks.

I use a Zeiss Dialyt Field Spotter, 8x45-65, tough as nails. waterproof and I very seldom find myself able to use a stronger one due to atmospheric conditions. I used it to judge sheep this fall and both sheep were exactly what I thought they were.

One other item I have found to be a great piece of kit is the Bino Chest Pack, lets me keep my binos and ranger finder always within reach and keeps my binos dry.

http://www.alaskaguidecreations.com/binopack.htm

If you are in the Fairbanks area would be happy to let you check out my choices.

Happy Spending and good luck.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Leica geovid rangefinding bincs and the single best gear purchase I have ever made.
    More than a few guys that I know of that own them have said the same thing.
    Proud to be an American!

If anyone is looking for those guide creation chest packs I recommend going to http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookst...ular_pouch.htm

I had trouble getting mine direct from the creator but coues had them in stock and I just called the to make sure they shipped mine USPS. Great piece of gear and one that I have been asked about numerous times in various air charter waiting areas and bush strips. Heck my hunt partner this year pm'd me a couple weeks back so he could give the info on them to "Santa".

Steve:
    I was wondering about the 8x as I had read previously that they were easier on the eyes for long glassing periods (don't know that for a fact- only what I read). I have only used 10x. The lower power with a smaller objective still allows for good light transmition and saves some weight.

The Bino Pack makes sense and it must be a great product for both you and LuJon to recommend. I will get one as soon as I decide which binos.

Fullkurl, the Geovids look sweet too! Decisions, decisions...

One thing I really appreciate about these forums is the expertise and the fact that most of the opinions come from people who are actually using the gear- not just taking it to the range.

Thanks again
    BEE

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    With so many people using range finders, does it make sense to get the EL Range (bino with range finder), and if so does the 8x42, or 10x42 make more sense? As for spotter, is the 65 or 80 mm a more useful size. I plan on using them for caribou and sheep.
    When deciding on field optics, I went with the Swarovski SLC binoculars and a 65 mm Swarovski spotting scope .... and like them both. I don't have any experience with the Swarovski range finder, but would highly recommend a leupold one with an illuminated display. The optics may not be as great with the leupold ... but I'll readily sacrifice the benefit of using the rangefinder as a binocular device in order to see the numbers on the display in the low light conditions (in the shadows or low light dense forest, cloudy overcast days, sunrise/sunset).

For the binos, I went the route of 8x42. There are times when I wish I had a little more power (hence the spotting scope) but the 8x42's are more compact and enjoyable to carry. I find the Nightforce 3.5-15x56 to be an adequate compliment for the rifle.

The leica CRF has red illuminated range reading. BY FAR the clearest display that I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The leica CRF has red illuminated range reading. BY FAR the clearest display that I have seen.
    Thanks for the added info. As I mentioned, I am not totally pleased with the Leupold optics .... and will readily give the Leica's a look.

For what it's worth, I picked up the el 10x42 and the 65 hd, both on Craigslist for good prices. Plus if you call up swarovski they will register the serial number and honor the warranty. Best glass i can think of.

For myself, I carry 8x42 bino's and the Swaro 65. It seems to be the perfect weight/size ratio that is comfortable to pack and carry. Barney's has and awesome tri-pod that is light, compact, and durable. Lastly, I love the Swaro range finder too.....unless I'm moose hunting. Then I kick myself for not getting the Leupold RX-IV Boone and Crockett Trophy Scale like my best friend. I'm sold on it after we used his range finder beyond 200 yards at a moose that we thought "was too small". Well, it was 52 inches too small. Comparing glass and accuracy of both units, I find both of them equal in quality.

Wet:

You must have a really nice rifle for the Nightforce to be a compliment!

"For the binos, I went the route of 8x42. There are times when I wish I had a little more power (hence the spotting scope) but the 8x42's are more compact and enjoyable to carry. I find the Nightforce 3.5-15x56 to be an adequate compliment for the rifle".[/QUOTE]

I will have to check out the CRF now...I was hoping this was going to make it easier but now realize I need to do more shopping!
    Thanks again.
    BEE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast