Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does a case (12) of MRE cost in Anchorage.....???

Default What does a case (12) of MRE cost in Anchorage.....???

What is a good deal price on a case of Meals Ready to Eat in the Anchorage area.....???

And how long do they keep...???

They are $90 at the commisary on base and last I saw were about $9 per meal off base. They last along time have had them over the years on deployments that were 6 plus years old and still good.

I think I read they are designed to last 25 years.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I see that there is several cases for sale in the 40 dollar range on Craigs List in the Anchorage area.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Designed for 6-7 yr shelf life. But if stored properly they have an almost limitless shelf life, IE DONT FREEZE and HEAT to 140 degrees constantly. I am in the military and have eaten MREs out of a case that was 10 yrs old and they were as good as a MRE gets. Always I say again ALWAYS inspect your meal pouches/give them a good squeeze to make sure they dont have a pin hole in them, if they do dont open the pouch is will be a nasty suprise. In 12 yrs in the Army I have only had 2 bad meals but it was memorable enuff to build upon my MRE PREFLIGHT to check for a 7 year old rotten meal. Around 9 dollars a meal
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Commisary does sell them and they do last a long time. They are a lot better than the old C-Rats and the newer MREs and head and shoulders better than the original ones. I'll have to check Craig's list, they are always good to have for emergencies.

When I was in the Gulf War, we were dipping into the MRE's from the vietnam era! I have seen them between $60-70 online. there is some info http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/buying-mres.html. Good Luck!

Jeff

They didn't HAVE MRE's during the Vietnam era. We were still eating C-Rations in 80. MRE's started replacing them in 1981. You may be referring to LPR (Long Rang Patrol) rations that were developed for Special Forces and Ranger patrols during Vietnam.

Bill is right, I ate c-rations from 75 to 80. Never did see a MRE then and have not tasted one now. How are they compared to the C-rations???
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

If I would have known last week I could of snagged you a couple of cases for free. Most of the time that stuff in ends up in the trash can anyhow. I remember in Huachuca the cooks would back up to the dumpster and start throwing all kinds of stuff away apples, oranges, pears, oatmeal, pop-tarts etc. If we catch them in time we would snag all that stuff...

Could be, these were a very dark brown, and you could barely make out the contents written in black. They were far inferior to what we have today. They had an egg omelette one, and the eggs were always gren lol! The ones now are a gourmet meal compared to the c-rats you had, they have more than a dozen different meals to choose from, each meal now is about 1250 calories.

God Bless

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Bill is right, I ate c-rations from 75 to 80. Never did see a MRE then and have not tasted one now. How are they compared to the C-rations???
    Hey whop, let me know when the next time you'll be in Anchorage and I'll give you one. They are better and more complete then C-rats were. Some even come with little bottles of Tabasco sauce.
    Corpsman, 1973 to 2003 so I got to eat C-rats, the first redition of MREs and the improved ones. Remember dehydrated beef patties? You could soak them for years with no results. Made good hockey pucks.

They continue to improve mres, some of the old ones are pretty skunky. That eureka moment when you open the package and it's got jalapeņo cheese waahooo.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

It cost you at least 3 bowel movements a week minimum! It will take a 1 time a day routine and turn it into a twice a week affair...

Bill, thanks for the invite, I appreciate it!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

as a vet, i can also add that another thing to watch out for is what we used to call "MRE balloon" if you are not at high altitude (9-10k+ feet) and the pack is blown up like a balloon, don't open it! its filled with gas from something rotting and you don't what to smell whatever it is, you will definately NOT want food for a while after that smell! LOL

I have a case of them at my house un-opened whoever wants them can have them... Some friends went huntign this past weekend stopped by the house and they left me a case. I guess they thought I wanted them.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    They continue to improve mres, some of the old ones are pretty skunky. That eureka moment when you open the package and it's got jalapeņo cheese waahooo.
    I concur! The jalepeno cheese is AWESOME!!!

dehydrated pork patties are the best mre ever invented!!!! i could eat them all day every day dry or hydrated. ground up put a pinch of pork patty in the lip and let the commie killing continue.
    Semper Fi!

Hey 323, I'm not too big to beg, if you got em I'll take em...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast