Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leupold scope adjustment

Default Leupold scope adjustment

I have an older 6x fix power on a 270 cal.
    How many lines does it need to move to adjust for 1" change at 100 yards ?

Thanks

my guess would be four clicks. It seems to be standard with most scope to have a 1/4 MOA.

Most scopes I have seen have it marked on the turrets under the caps. Is your scope not marked??
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

1/4 in at 100 yards, would be 4 clicks for 1 in.

On a Leupold, don't be surprised if it's more like 1/2 inch per click. That's standard for most rifle scopes, and what Leupold claims.

Get a Bushnell.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

LMAO. Ah, Smitty, you kill me, man...

Keep rocking those Bushnell's. Just don't try to make it out to something that it is not, nor ever will be....

I also have a leupold 6 X 42mm on a 270. It is 1/4 inch per click or 4 clicks per inch. It is a very good scope and it gathers light well. You will be plesaed with yours also.

Thanks a bunch all you guys.

Stid= i've seen some with instuctions under turret cap, mine don't have that.

I have seen other scopes with definite clicks. Mine just has lines.

I went 3 lines and it came up 2"

This has been my Sheep go to gun since 1978, glass stock bedded (did it myself ) Ruger 77 in 270 cal.

This gun stayed at 2" high with H4831 58.5 grains 150 grain Hornady since it was done back in '78

Two weeks ago it shot 3/4 high at 100yds still dead on side to side.

Federal 130 grain shot identical (like same hole ) as the 150 grain handloads.

Taking the grandson to visit my snowbird friend in Alabama next month. Deer season wide open till Jan 31st. were staying 8 days .With a daily limit of 2 each day but only 3 bucks for the season.

My friends wife got an 9 point 212pound Deer yesterday. He got one with his muzleloader.

I'm just as excited as when I first started hunting over 50 years ago.

Thanks everyone for your imput.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    LMAO. Ah, Smitty, you kill me, man...

Keep rocking those Bushnell's. Just don't try to make it out to something that it is not, nor ever will be....
    I never miss a chance to talk up a Bushnell. (I guess, you noticed.) I hain't no expert, on Scopes, but I know what I like, and I don't understand why Bushnells aren't thought of more highly.

I don't like to pay Beeg Bucks for a rifle scope, and I like the Bushnells I have. I'm talkin about the New Models, not the older ones. Newer scopes of any manufacture seem to be great, these days.

I have ONE OLD Bushnell ScopeChief that works just fine, but the clicks don't feel positive.

Anyway, they work fine for me, and I can't imagine why I'd need something that's spose to be better, just cause it costs more moola.

Have you had some bad luck with Bushnell, or some reason to believe they are Substandard?

Thanks.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    I have seen other scopes with definite clicks. Mine just has lines.

I went 3 lines and it came up 2"
    Ya, that's what I mean. The beef I had with 3 Leupolds I tried, all VX IIs, and they had lines rather than clicks, but the kicker was they all seemed to move the POI, twice as far as could be calculated by 1/4" clicks.

Leupold assured me they were 1/4 inch adjustments. Someone else suggested, I tap the turret, after making an adjustment. ???

These Leupolds were also rather primitive, feature wise/not user friendly.

I've not tried the later, and more spensive models, and don't see any reason to.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smity of the North
    I was a big fan of Bushnell’s for many years until I saw the eye relief and the amount of light a Leupold has. Once I saw that I took every Bushnell off and put Leupold on. If you have one that works good for you that is great.

Most Leupold will have a 1/4 moa for every click or line; but, I do have a mark 4 Leupold that does have a 1/2 moa on it. I would look at it as a 1/4 moa and go out and shoot your rifle at 100 yds and confirm on the range.
    Good luck and have some fun

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Are you guys confusing Leupold's 1/4 click adjustment to the friction adjustment?

Smitty,

And yes, I currently got a Marlin 880S .22LR that currently is scopeless (well, since last winter) due to a Bushnell scope taking a dump. Luckily it has open sights.

Don't get me wrong, I play with other scopes, too. Actually going to try out a new Redfield scope made by Leupold and put it on the same 22. And I can only recall paying for brand new Leupold's less than a half-dozen times. The rest I buy used off the net, saving me a bunch of money.

Old Leupolds...and for that matter old Bushnells didn't have "clicks" you could feel. I have one of each and you have to just use the lines. Both brands have clicks you can feel on their later models.

A Leupold with just lines, no clicks, just lines and no markings, I believe that each mark is an MOA. This was a common adjustment of the older Leupold VX-II scopes. One MOA is of course, about an inch at 100 yards. One thing I've found with those scopes, when adjusting move only one plane at a time. In other words, move elevation OR windage, not both at once, then shoot. This is for best results.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

those OLD Leupolds with the friction adjustments were not very user friendly for sure ! If you send that scope into Leupold it "might" come back to you with clicks as I have yet to find a company with as good of customer service or the desire to please their customer - the old "trick" of tapping the turret is fact, done it 1000 times, but not very confidence building, I got in the habit of turning 3 or 4 clicks past and then backing up that many but I have no technical knowledge to back that practice up - I use VX3's and FX3's nowadays and I couldn't be more happy with a product - I have a buddy who has been using the "new" Redfields since day one and loves them but I have not so I can't say - there may be alot of Accupoint, some Schmidt & Bender and some Swarovski's out there on military gear but I would dare to say that they all won't add up to the total number of Leupolds in service and if they're good enough for the guys fighting for us they're good enough for me ....

Murphy
    I have never seen a scope that had a 1moa, you are stating that was common with VXII. VXI came first and i have not seen 1MOA with them, i am not sure why leupold would bump there adjustment from 1/4, 1/2 to 1MOA. ?????

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I have had problems with inexpensive scopes on larger Cal. rifles. I had a redfield (15 yrs. ago) quit on my 338, just had the replacement Nikon quit on the same rifle. Nikon replaced it with a new 2.5x10x42 Monarch, if I get another 15 out of it I'm good to go there ( I'll be 77). Nikon good cust. service. Then had a Burris Fullfield ll 3x9x40 I put on my 375H&H, quit during inital zeroing of the scope. Terrible cust. service!!! Put a Leupold on it VXll 3x9x40 Great! Also had a problem with a set of rings and Leupold sent me a new set right now. I think most of the companys are putting out a junk line of scope and are marketing them as the same quailty as there upper lines except Leupold. I put a Nikon 3x9x40 BDC Monarch on my 338 as a stop gate measure and it wasn't very good. It held zero but I couldn't see in low light conditions durring a hunt. My 2C on this is the higher dollar scopes give you more light transmission and reliablity on heavy recoiling rifles. If you are hunting and shooting 100 yard shots W/ non mag. cals. most middle priced scopes will do.

The old Leupolds that Murphy was talking about had lines on them that were marked at moa. They are friction adjustable and will stop anywhere between the marks. I have several of these and have never had a problem with them changing impact from recoil. I have one Bushnell scope that was on a gun I bought used. It has Bushnell on the scope and has high contrast wrote inside the optic end of the scope. It has a adjustable end for focus on the end you look through. It is not a bad scope at all but it does not compare with my Leupolds. Any of you know from the markings that I described what line of Bushnell that this scope is? It is 3 X 9 power and I have it on a Marlin leaver action 30-30.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I have had problems with inexpensive scopes on larger Cal. rifles. I had a redfield (15 yrs. ago) quit on my 338, just had the replacement Nikon quit on the same rifle. Nikon replaced it with a new 2.5x10x42 Monarch, if I get another 15 out of it I'm good to go there ( I'll be 77). Nikon good cust. service. Then had a Burris Fullfield ll 3x9x40 I put on my 375H&H, quit during inital zeroing of the scope. Terrible cust. service!!! Put a Leupold on it VXll 3x9x40 Great! Also had a problem with a set of rings and Leupold sent me a new set right now. I think most of the companys are putting out a junk line of scope and are marketing them as the same quailty as there upper lines except Leupold. I put a Nikon 3x9x40 BDC Monarch on my 338 as a stop gate measure and it wasn't very good. It held zero but I couldn't see in low light conditions durring a hunt. My 2C on this is the higher dollar scopes give you more light transmission and reliablity on heavy recoiling rifles. If you are hunting and shooting 100 yard shots W/ non mag. cals. most middle priced scopes will do.
    I bet a lot of people shoot their hunting rifles less than a dozen times a year. That would explain why Bushnell's and other inferior scopes "work" so well. Thanks for sharing your experieces. Mine mirror the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    The old Leupolds that Murphy was talking about had lines on them that were marked at moa. They are friction adjustable and will stop anywhere between the marks. I have several of these and have never had a problem with them changing impact from recoil.
    That has been my experience too. They are more difficult to sight in (at least for me) but once they are on target, they stay that way. With or without tapping them Smitty.

Murphy gave a valuable hit also when he said move one plane, shoot, and then adjust the other plane.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I bet a lot of people shoot their hunting rifles less than a dozen times a year. That would explain why Bushnell's and other inferior scopes "work" so well. Thanks for sharing your experieces. Mine mirror the same.
    You've offered no evidence that Bushell scopes are "inferior", but only speculation.

I have SIX, Bushnell Scopes, and I shoot ALL the rifles they are mounted on much more than a dozen times a year.

They STILL "work" great. How would you explain that?

I've not said that Leupolds were BAD, just that I didn't like the ones I had. And, I gave reasons that make sense to me.

I perceive you to be what may be described as a "Gear Nurd", but I don't care about that.

If Leupolds make your heart go Flippity Flop, that's fine with me. I want you to be happy.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast