Thread: Youth carrying pistol?

Default Youth carrying pistol?

In Alaska, is it legal for a youth under age 18 to carry concealed or exposed?

In what context? Sorry, but I believe more information is needed.

I doubt a 17yr old packing a .44 in a chest holster in moose camp with his Dad will get much attention...a 12 yr packing a snubbie at the mall probably will.

To avoid any guessing on anyone's part, at least where concealed carry is concerned, anything further should be found starting from here: http://dps.alaska.gov/statewide/perm...dhandguns.aspx

Alaska statutes allow concealed carry by a minor if they are engaged in hunting, trapping or other outdoor activity that requires carrying a handgun for personal protection. AS 11.61.220
    I cannot find anywhere that differentiates a handgun from a rifle when it comes to open carry.

Thanks everyone. This would be at a range or while hunting. Boy has taken hunter safety course and is very responsible.

My son has been packing a pistol, albeit a .22, since he was 10 in the field. We've had several wildlife LEO contacts over the years with no issues.

Its legal, as long as your hunting or going to and from the range or fishing, you have to have a signed paper from your parents/guardian and you have to be 16 to carry consealed, thats what I was told and read.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

BATF&E site
    ATF HomeFirearmsFrequently Asked QuestionsUnlicensed Persons
    Unlicensed Persons Questions
    Q: May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?
    Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you