Thread: Barnes TSX .300 gr and 416 rem mag with 24" barrel.

Kalix, Sweden .50 km south the arctic circle

Default Barnes TSX .300 gr and 416 rem mag with 24" barrel.

Hi!

I need help with the quick load and gunpowder, which I will use the Barnes TSX 300 gr. My .416 rem mag with 24" barrel. B. C. .298.

I use Norma powder 203 B to the Swift A-Frame 350 gr. Should I have the same to the Barnes TSX or can I have Norma 202 or 204?

What is the maximum load that I can use?

I thank you in advance for your help!

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/tsx-bullet/

IME, Norma 203B is about perfect for the 416 RM. However with the lighter bullets I'd give Norma 202 a try as velocity should increase with the faster (relative to N 203B) powder. If available, I'd give VihtaVuori N135 a try or even IMR 4895. I'd expect higher velocities with either of these powders (N 201, N135, IMR 4895) than using N 203B in the 416 RM when paired with the 300 grain TSX.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    IME, Norma 203B is about perfect for the 416 RM. However with the lighter bullets I'd give Norma 202 a try as velocity should increase with the faster (relative to N 203B) powder. If available, I'd give VihtaVuori N135 a try or even IMR 4895. I'd expect higher velocities with either of these powders (N 201, N135, IMR 4895) than using N 203B in the 416 RM when paired with the 300 grain TSX.
    Hi!

Thanksforyour reply!I'llsee if Ican findsomeone whocan help meto produceloadsof QuickLoad.

Quote Originally Posted by lsjonsson View Post
    Hi!

I need help with the quick load and gunpowder, which I will use the Barnes TSX 300 gr. My .416 rem mag with 24" barrel. B. C. .298.

I use Norma powder 203 B to the Swift A-Frame 350 gr. Should I have the same to the Barnes TSX or can I have Norma 202 or 204?

What is the maximum load that I can use?

I thank you in advance for your help!

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/tsx-bullet/

I saw your post and saw that you're pretty far north, so I went and got my Barnes Reloading Manual #4 to see if your load data is listed. Unfortunately they do not list loading data for the 300grn TSX (you probably already knew that). They only have two listings (for the 350 and 400, both the TSX and Banded Solids). I encourage you to email Ty at Barnes and ask the specific questions you are asking here. Ty is their senior technician, and I have found him to be very helpful and generous with load data not listed in their manual.

No offense to 1Cor15:19, who is a very knowledgeable and helpful man.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I saw your post and saw that you're pretty far north, so I went and got my Barnes Reloading Manual #4 to see if your load data is listed. Unfortunately they do not list loading data for the 300grn TSX (you probably already knew that). They only have two listings (for the 350 and 400, both the TSX and Banded Solids). I encourage you to email Ty at Barnes and ask the specific questions you are asking here. Ty is their senior technician, and I have found him to be very helpful and generous with load data not listed in their manual.

No offense to 1Cor15:19, who is a very knowledgeable and helpful man.
    Hi Doc!

Thanks for your reply! I have written to Barnes and asked them for help, butt he only thing I was told they were on balls that you mentionin your answer.There shouldbe no problem for them to calculate the loads on the TSX300gr, I think.