Thread: Winter bears

Default Winter bears

So Thanksgiving day at 12 noon we spot a brown bear crossing the road just before Jims Landing on the Seward highway. So, any thoughts? It was a one or two year old and we didnt see the mother if she was there. Is it a dead bear cause its not in its hole yet?
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

I run a trapline in that area and every year I run into bears until this time of year or later. I think with an abundance of dead fish some of them are still scrounging carcasses hung up in dead trees and roots along the river. It is impressive to see how a bear will move very large logs to get at a small piece of herring in a mink cubby. I wouldn't be surprised to find that bear lived through the winter.

I agree with akmac. I've rafted the Upper in the Winter and encountered fresh tracks on more than one occasion, this being not common, but certainly not rare either. Silvers are still moving up the river, and sockeye carcasses provide a good food source as well.
    I read today that there is still a brown bear roaming hillside in Anchorage. As the biologist that was interviewed stated, if a bear has a good source of food, it may forestall hibernation for quite sometime.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Just too many bears period, fg calls in successful management, so we have to shoot them out of our sheds thru out the winter. My elec fence is doing its part but tracks indicate that they check it out often.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

There's one up here in Anchorage that didn't get the memo to go to sleep. It's been hanging around the Hilltop Ski Area and the trails next to it. Hilltop has caught it on their security cameras a few times and they keep finding fresh tracks in the area. I dont get it because we're not having a warm winter, it's been freakin cold and we've got 2 feet of snow already. If two feet of snow and -10 temperatures dont get the point across, I dont know what will. Dumb bear. "Go to bed!"
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

About 8 years ago I got a new pair of snowshoes for Christmas and went for a walk New Year's Day on South Fork Campbell Creek, I turned around when I saw fresh bear tracks. I also thought the bears were all snug in their dens all winter. Live and learn.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Many years ago, when I lived in Dillingham, I knew a former teacher who was the winter watchman at Ekuk cannery. He dealt with a marauding browny tearing up cannery buildings in the dead of the winter.

Then there are the well known tales of the "ice bear"...

They go to sleep because they feel like it not because they have to.Just think go to sleep and wake up and winter is over
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Then there are the well known tales of the "ice bear"...
    Some of those are pretty good tales. Been a long time since I've heard any.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    They go to sleep because they feel like it not because they have to.Just think go to sleep and wake up and winter is over
    Apparently some like winter!

It seems that the brown variety are not the only ones delaying hibernation. A good friend, who lives near upper Huffman, saw a large black bear in his drive way just a few days ago. He followed the tracks a short ways and it sounds like he may be denning on/near his property.

Let me start off by saying that I know Alaska and Arkansas are way different, but, here the beats do not hibernate due to the temptature. The guy that taught me taxidermy is the head bear biologist here in Arkansas. While spending time in his shop learning taxidermy I had the chance to ask a lot if questions about bears and hunting them. He explained to me that the bears here do not hibernate due to temperature. They hibernate due to lack of food. I'm sure that that's one of the reasons there too. I know the weather there is way colder than here so I'm sure that plays a role too.

I saw a blackie along the trap line about this time last year, only had a 22 doggonit
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.