Thread: Gear buying frustrations

Default Gear buying frustrations

Ok Ive been researching for three months trying to figure out what pants and jacket I want to buy mainly for sheep and goat hunting. Ive read everything on this site and several others but still cant seem to make up my mind. I know its been beat to death on here and several other sites but I need some help. Im looking for an all around jacket and pants. Features Im looking for in order of importance are;Waterproof but not raingear, Breathable, and strechable so I can move. Am I just asking for to much out of one jacket and pant? I just want a outer layer that I dont have to worry about changing everytime the weather does.

I was pretty much set on something from Sitka and thought i just needed to narrow down what paticular pieces I wanted. Then I read on here about KUIU and now I really cant decide. Will the Attack Jacket and pants work or do I need the Chugach? The only thing I really dont like with KUIU is the camo pattern but its not a big factor. Sorry for the long rant Im just frustrated.

I have just about tried it all. Go with KUIU, they have it in non camo colors and should be restocking soon. They get their fabric from Japan and the earthquake delayed their shipment.

While the guide jacket and attack pants are fairly waterproof and dry fast, I still find the rain gear necessary. Their Chugach rain gear is bar none the best I've used and I have, Helly Hansen, Sitka gear Nimbus rain jacket and Storm front, a couple different Gore tex Jackets and none are as breathable and comfortable as the KUIU.

After my fast few hunts I've started using the Chugach Jacket as my rain jacket and softshell, makes an awesome wind breaker.

I used mine hard all year and have no complaints.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Honest opinion is that you are asking to much. This year I wore a pair of TNF ridge top pants. Light weight, stretchy, dry super fast and I got em (3 sets) for 29 bucks each at www.thedepartmentofgoods.com I have a couple different weights of merino wool base layers that I use depending on the temps. I don't carry them all with me in the pack of course but will take a couple different sets to base camp.

At this time my bottom half kit consists of merino wool base layer, light/stretchy outer wear pants, rain pants (currently cheap cabelas dry-plus), and a set of puffy pants (MH Compressor) I have tried MANY different combo's with little regard to cost and this is the best I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    Ive read everything on this site and several others but still cant seem to make up my mind.
    Yes, you're asking for too much. "The perfect is the enemy of the good." Good on you for doing thorough research, but after all it's only gear, so if you've already read everything on this site, then flip a coin.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Seraphina Im not likely to make a 5-6 hundred dollar mistake by a coin flip.

Wait for the semiannual sale at beaver sports. June 22 or thereabouts.

Go with First Lite, love it merino wool, USA company!!!!

I love First Lite for the merino wool, but they aren't exactly wind or waterproof like the OP wanted. I am waiting on a set of Outa Ware winter bibs. If they are good quality I am going to try out their UltraLight rainwear next year. Outa Ware is a made in U.S. company also.

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    Seraphina Im not likely to make a 5-6 hundred dollar mistake by a coin flip.
    Either your reply makes no sense, or else you left something out of your post. If you were just starting to think about choosing gear then your concern would be reasonable, but you've claimed: (1) to have already read every relevant thread, (2) to have thought about this intensely for three months, and (3) to have narrowed your choices down to two of the top brands. If those 3 things you said are true, then none of those choices would be a mistake.

The truth is quite simple -- there's good gear and bad gear out there, but once you have it narrowed down to the top 4 or 5 options, it all comes down to a personal preference. Once you've completed your research, more research isn't going to change the "correct" answer.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

I would definitely go with the Chugach pants/jackets for rain gear. I have no doubt that the attack pants are great but if budget is a concern I would cut them and go for a lower cost option in their placeCrather than going with the attack gear and cutting the Chugach. My $30 TNF Ridge Top pants perform very nearly as well as my $220 Westcomb Syncro cargo pants do. Quality rain gear can make or break a hunt but once you find a comfy pair of pants that dry fast and don't bind your motion you aren't likely to find another set that do it so much better that you are going to kill stuff you wouldn't have otherwise.

i would rather find a deal on pants and have enough left over for a puffy suit or a merino base layer than blow it all on the latest greatest technical jacket/pants that is only marginally better than last years greatest gear at 2x the price.

I am not sure if you are interested, but all day yesterday camofire.com had Sitka gear about 50% off. Keep looking, there sales change every few hours.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Soft shell outerwear: will breathe best and stretch too. Usually water-resistant (shed light sprinkle) and is essential in my mind for hard working climbs or hikes. I'll wear a poly base layer under sometimes, but I like water resistant soft shell best because it vents sweat and keeps me cool and dry when I'm working.

For waterproof: just my thoughts, but it's Impertech or wonderfabric. Impertech is great for steady rain with little activity, but if you perspire at all in the rain, then wonder fabrics are getting pretty good. I happen to agree with the KUIU fans - had good luck with the Chugach top and bottom for spring bear in 3 days of steady drizzle, but if you look at enough folks, it's not hard to find fans for many brands. Even ... Rivers West (sorry Greg ).

Wonderfabric: The high dollar raingear anymore is waterproof/breathable (WP/B) and the best stretches too. KUIU, Sitka, Rab, Westcomb... I think there are enough companies making pretty good stuff that it's possible to find good gear based on the best fit for you.

IMO, we're lucky in Anchorage to have Barney's Sports Chalet. Bob Hodson helps us all out by screening all gear at shows long before it makes an appearance in his store. You could do worse than to walk into Bob's shop blindfolded, tell him what you want, hand him your credit card, sign for the goods and walk out.

At the same time, I like to think of Buck Nelson, hiking 1,000 Alaska miles in his Red Ledge (Thunderlight) raingear. The Thunderlight series now sells for $70 (jacket) and $40 (pants) -see http://www.redledge.com/. And how'd they do? "Outstanding" (http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Back...st_Review.html). In an earlier time, they made do with waxed cotton.

Find a sale or discounted items if you can. Best of luck with your search. When I was in Fairbanks a few times, that Beaver Sports shop seemed to have some good items of tech wear. Best of luck in the season ahead.