Thread: anyone found a proven method for wolf hunting?

Default anyone found a proven method for wolf hunting?

I have called lots of predators but the wolf has got me skunked. I have been within 75 yards of them howling and got to witness the sounds of a pack taking down a moose calf. I still didnít see one wolf. I have tried calling them with predator call & have heard them call back but will not come in closer. I have tried distress calls mostly, anyone howl at em? Snow shoe? If anyone would like to share their success stories and tactics Iíd love to hear about it.

Luck has always proved to be the very best method I've found.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I called one in with a rabbit call once.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I hunt them among the Caribou.

Calling, ambush, snares, tracking and long distance shooting, theres alotta ways you can Hunt Wolfs. Knowing the grounds your hunting is very important, and utilizing the lay and features of the land is where you will find sucess.

Getting above them and the Caribou they are hunting and howling, using no calls or electronics, just my own voice, I dont find it hard at all to get what I need in fur.
    As well, we track them and make some long shots, but since its "Fur" we shooting at, poking holes through the animal is fairly easy with a good full power'd .30 cal anything.
    I use FMJ's with great effect, and knowing how the animals act really helps.

I often watch large herds of Caribou and see whats disturbing them or making them move. Often Wolves will be a few minutes behind the herd, then letting the herd pass by and see what there is comming my way to shoot......and an interception is often possible. I get up on the top of a local mountain and drive my machine around the top of the outlaying ridges and glass them over the course of a couple hours. I will drive on the backside and wait, maybe give a howl or three of encouragement if 15 or 20 minutes have passed. That works about 1/2 the time.

Heres a vid(clik the pik) of a Wolf who was running up a crrek bed from the bottom of a ridge, who I intercepted as he ran into view after I blasted 4 or so miles ahead to the head of the creek and waited. Good binos work very well for this.

When Wolves detect you, they will run away, not look back and climb the nearest mountain, so going around and up at the fastet possible speed is fun, then the 'intercept' as they crest the ridge, theres alotta fun to be had.As well, when running away, they will run FAST and straight, but unfortunatly for them, they make a great target just then, so aim for the black spot ~~LOL!!~~

Look for Ravens circling, waiting to eat, squacking and such, or track them over the vast open Tundra, set snares, traps, whatever, you gotta do in the country your hunting, I have steep hills, rocky topped mountains and vast open Tundra, and almost nobody else out there.
    Fact is, the wife saw three at our Kobuk lakeside camp yesterday while getting some friends of ours who are currently staying there to here, for dinner.....if I hadnt loan'd my snowmachine out for a good cause, I very well might have skipped dinner
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I hear that a supercub is pretty effective

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    I hear that a supercub is pretty effective
    Yes, as long as you don't shoot the lift strut, or the prop.

And a Helicopter would be even better

AGL, I though you were gonna say get a flock of geese!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Yes, as long as you don't shoot the lift strut, or the prop.
    the lift strut can be played off for a while,.. but the pilot immediately knows when his prop get hit..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

anyone found a proven method for wolf hunting?

A Polaris.
    Now what ?

An optimum long distance rifle, the power range of the 30-06 /Fmj's, and the ability to place the shot is more important than the transpo.

In Sept '09 I was in B.C. on a moose hunt, my guide and I had just come out of the timber at the edge of a large meadow and "pond" and sat down, I saw movement across and thinking it was a moose I signaled my guide, we then realized there was a pack of wolves on the far side - the guide says "can we get any closer" as he is looking around but we realized that wasn't possible, I then told him I ranged them at 410 yds - He looked at me and whispered "think you can make that?" to which I replied "YEP" and got into the sticks - at the first shot one flipped with tail ringing and the guide whooped, stating you got that one ! second shot rolled another as the others were trotting and looking around trying to figure out where the shots were originating, third shot and that one just disappeared from sight, then it all settled down - We navigated around the pond to the spot where they had been, it was a mess there, wolf **** all over ... but no wolves - we looked high and low, found some blood but no wolves - there was a "creek" meandering through the meadow which was very black on it's bottom from the leaves and mulch making it look like "black water" and after scratching our heads for a while I noticed the tip of a tail deep in the water, reached in and retrieved one medium size female and THAT was all we found that day ... I'm still perplexed and kind of awestruck by how tough those dang things are - the one we found was lung shot by my 325 WSM 220 SBT and still made it into the creek, where I still assume at least one more ended up as well ( I don't like wolves much !!! ) some of the guys I know in Joseph OR (where I used to reside) claim they have had luck calling them into range with a distressed fawn call but they're too chicken to shoot (or so they claim)

This old thread might get you stoked for the season:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...now-the-answer!!!

I got lucky and caught this one out in the open giving me a shot opportunity. I haven't tried calling much - good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    This old thread might get you stoked for the season
    Yeah, you're right on that one,

Again, Beautiful Wolf and Story there jpost,......envy risin' up just readin' that again

you never did post a pic of the skull and teeth tho, got one layin' around?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Kodiakrain: Funny you asked, all this wolf talk got me thinking I should do just that, so I made a post on the trapping/predator forum.