Thread: Which scope?

Default Which scope?

I have a Ruger .338 I looking to put a scope on. One of the two scopes I'm considering is the Leupold VXII 3-9 40 and the other is a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40 Scope. Is there much difference between the two? I'm planing a griz hunt next year and that is what this rifle will be used mainly for is bear and griz......maybe moose and elk.....

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    I have a Ruger .338 I looking to put a scope on. One of the two scopes I'm considering is the Leupold VXII 3-9 40 and the other is a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40 Scope. Is there much difference between the two? I'm planing a griz hunt next year and that is what this rifle will be used mainly for is bear and griz......maybe moose and elk.....
    Not much difference between the two. Comes down to personal preference I reckon. If it was me I'd put a good fixed 6X on it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I think the 3-9x40 is just fine for a .338. I don't think the 4-12 gets you anything extra on a big game rifle...maybe on a combo rifle that'll also do double duty on varmints but not on a dedicated big game rig.

I have found very little utility in magnifications over 6x in the field....in fact I'd consider a fixed 4x or 6x a better all around choice for most applications. Even times I've had variable scopes on rifles I seem to make all my shots on game at something between 4x and 6x.

Like Hodgeman, I tend to power down- it makes for a faster sight picture and also helps to not magnify the wobbling of the rifle when you are not sitting at a bench. Personally if shots are within reason I would consider a 2-7 or 2.5-8 and depending on the terrain, leave the power down until you need to dial it up. Either way, a good 3-9 is hard to beat.

I'm not sure where you intend to hunt, Alaska is a large state. My 338 WM has a 1 3/4 x 5 Burris on it, carried on 1 3/4 power at all times. It's real un-nerveing to raise your rifle at a bear 10 yards away in dense alders and just see a brown fur spot and not know where the spot is located on the bear. With the lower power you have instant target identification and reticle placement. In longer range applications you can increase the power as needed. If you need anything larger than 6x you need binoculars, as your target is too far away.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I'm not sure where you intend to hunt, Alaska is a large state. My 338 WM has a 1 3/4 x 5 Burris on it, carried on 1 3/4 power at all times. It's real un-nerveing to raise your rifle at a bear 10 yards away in dense alders and just see a brown fur spot and not know where the spot is located on the bear. With the lower power you have instant target identification and reticle placement. In longer range applications you can increase the power as needed. If you need anything larger than 6x you need binoculars, as your target is too far away.
    And if you forgot to dial your fancy variable scope down to 1.5X before you ran into that bear you're hosed anyway. Put a good fixed six on it and learn to barrel sight it for the unlikely event you're ever charged by a bear. At 1.5X and ten yards all you're going to see is hair anyway (and then only for about a second and a half). Fancy lures are intended to catch fisherman more than fish. Likewise with fancy variable scopes and hunters.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

[QUOTE=iofthetaiga;1041510]And if you forgot to dial your fancy variable scope down to 1.5X before you ran into that bear you're hosed anyway. Put a good fixed six on it and learn to barrel sight it for the unlikely event you're ever charged by a bear. At 1.5X and ten yards all you're going to see is hair anyway (and then only for about a second and a half). Fancy lures are intended to catch fisherman more than fish. Likewise with fancy variable scopes and hunters.[/QUOTE

On 1 3/4 power I can see an entire grizzly at 10 feet and Even if I leave on 5 power I would still have a better view than any 6 power fixed scope.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

On 1 3/4 power I can see an entire grizzly at 10 feet and Even if I leave on 5 power I would still have a better view than any 6 power fixed scope.
    Good on ya! You go first.
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Yup, FOV is the beegest consideration.

Look through your scope, at a doorway, had see how far away you hafta be to cover it side to side. You might be surprised.

I had a Bushnell Legend 2X7 on my 338, until I sold the 338. That was good, because I could carry it at Low Power, and yet have more magnifiction for sighting in at the range.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Ive got a VXII 3x9 on my 338wm and love it. Just don't forget to turn it down when your out and about. The scope is hard to beat for the money and has never been affected by the recoil in the last 7+ years or so. I also picked up a Redfield 3x9 recently and am eager to see how it will do. Maybe put it on a new 460 Weatherby and see if it stays together! Either way I think you'll like the eye relief that the Leupold has (approx 5in or so).

Good luck,
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Leupold VX III 2.5 X 8. Very fast on 2.5 power and plenty of magnification for any long shot Weighs about 12 oz, lots of eye relief and field of view and the 36 mm objective transmits available light very well.

Although off topic ... perhaps consider the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 NXS with the FC-2 reticle. If you like smaller crosshairs, their NP-1 reticle is also nice.

The 4-12 is a good scope for some applications, but the 3-9X40 is superior for most general hunting rifles. It has great eye relief and is durable to a fault. In your case the 3-9X40 is a no brainer IMO and exactly what I used on my .338 WM for many years--killed my first grizzly with that setup.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

1.5 x 5 or 2.5 x 8 or 3.5 x 10 (40) ... no bigger needed for huntin' THEN ... get in the habit (and I MEAN "in the habit") of huntin' with it on THE LOWEST POWER A L W A Y S - "IF" you need the high power there will be plenty of time to turn it up for that long shot - there are alot of good scopes these days, expecially the European ones, but IMO it is hard to beat a Leupold VX3 ....