Thread: taking a smaller boat from haines to juneau ??

Default taking a smaller boat from haines to juneau ??

anyone run there smaller boat from haines down to juneau to do some fishing(on calm days ofcourse).
    I picked up a 19' thunderjet outboard with self draining bow this year and fished around haines abit.I did encounter some 3' waves but nothing crazy.Just wondering if running down to juneau is an option for the few days of fishing or is that advisable in a 19' boat.

thanks

im also wondering about this....im buying a new 20ft , either thunderjet, weldcraft or hewes and also hoping to do some fishing in and around the hoonah area

watch the weather....listen to the eldred rock weather forecast, usually the roughest to get by......sometimes it's flat & glassy for days....

Depends on the time of year. If it was summertime and one watched for good weather for a few days, then I'd say no problem. I probably wouldn't be caught out there in anything less than a 24' + after october hits. Lynn canal can get pretty nasty, even with just tide rips. get some good maps and plan out places to hide if the weather gets nasty.... During the winter, expect anything, summertime is a little more forgiving, but can still be unpredictable. From traveling that route on the ferry, I have seen smaller boats out and about in lynn canal between juneau and haines. Its all about planning.

You could do it in a canoe some days during the summer. As others stated, watch the marine forcast and have fun. Just FYI, June is statistically the least windy month in Northern SE.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Default Haines to Juneau

I agree with the others. Heck, a guy swam from Haines to Juneau a couple years ago. People boat north out of Juneau quite a lot in the summer with no problem but about half way up, there are few good shelters and northern Lynn Canal is often a lot rougher. Still, people do it all the time in small boats with a decent weather window. Seascape is the issue.

I would agree about looking @ the eldred rock observations. From just south of Haines to Berners bay is probably the longest stretch with very little protection. I see several people from Whitehorse down in Hoonah and the Icy straights in the size of boats your descibing. Going to Hoonah there are spots to hide along the way. behind sullivan island on the william henry,boat harbor then a bit of a run to swanson harbor. I always try and catch the eldred rock observations and make my decsion from there.

See You Down There.

In all honesty, in the summer if its sunny expect an afternoon blow with white caps. If its cloudy expect southeasterlies. Evenings through early morning are usually calmest. Even if you get caught hole up, find the lee of something and wait 2 hours. That stretch is really affected by tide and wind and the combinations are always switching.

You can do it.

Sobie2

Good advice, listen to Sobie2, he and his family probably know those waters better than anyone. I used to live in Juneau, and my wife's family is from Skagway. I'd make the trip several times a year. Great times fishing along the way, but Lynn can get fugly fast.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

thanks for all the info.sounds like if it the weather forcast is decent better to head out very early in the morning heading towards hoonah or on the way back to skagway or haines as well. for me it would be much nicer to head from skagway rather than haines,3 times the drive to get to haines.