Thread: Big Boss 6x6 owners - Don't get 27" Mud Lites

Default Big Boss 6x6 owners - Don't get 27" Mud Lites

I own a 2011 Big Boss 6x6 and had the dealer install 27" mud lites (their recommended tire) when I purchased it. Well the front tires rub on the steering ball joints and have destroyed the rubber boot on the joint on both sides. Love the machine and where it will take me, but am disappointed that the dealer did not know or care to warn me about these 27" tires. Would have been happy with 26" if they did not rub or some other brand of tire. So if your in the market for this machine think twice about the 27" mud lites. Go with a smaller size or different tire. Oh and watch out for the rear lower A-Arm bolts - they break. Carry spares and a couple of 9/16 wrenches.

A set of spacers will probably solve the rubbing and will certainly be cheaper than 6 new tires. I am curious what width they installed? Is the dealer going to make it right?

Yep, kinda sounds like they put 10" wide on instead of the stock 8". Diameter shouldn't effect clearance with the tie rods. I put 10" on my rig and I needed about 1/2" more space to clear the tie rod ends. Only spacers I could find at the time were 1 1/2" but have worked fine for many years now.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The valley dealer is nice enough to put some spacers on the front (washers.) One "fix" I've seen is to flip the tie rod ends upside down which gives more tire clearance.

The Side by side wheels used to have a offset built into them and would allow wider tires with tie rod clearance.