Thread: new to Interior fishing

Default new to Interior fishing

Hello all I am new to fairbanks after spending a few years in PWS. I would really like to do some fishing up here but dont have a clue where to start looking other than Harding, Birch and Quartz. I am going to hit up harding tomorrow and see how that goes. I dont mind fishing these places but they are far and that doesnt allow many trips on a tight budget so id like to find places closer to town. Does anyone care to point me in the right direction. I also dont mind joining a fishing party out on a lake or river since a bad day fishin is always more enjoyable in groups. so if anyone is going to be out on harding tomorrow look me up as i will probably be the only person out there with out a shanty

A good place to start is fish and game. They have a booklet with info on all the stocked lakes in the interior. You can also look this info up on line. Off the top of my head I would suggest Chena lake, I have never got anything very big there but you can often catch little guys left and right out of there. Also there is Bathing Beauty pond just on the other side of the flood plain going toward the airbase as well as a few ponds across from the base.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...s.fishStocking
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Like Lynch said, you can find stocked lakes on ADF&G's website, broken down by region. I'm relatively new here and have used this resource. Fortunately, I've got some lakes here on Eielson to fish when I want to stay close to home or only have a few hours to devote to fishing. Bathing Beauty would be a close ption, I would think the same for North Pole Pond although I've never fished it. The area is dotted with lakes, but I think stocking numbers are down this year as the new hatchery in Fairbanks is still not up and running last I heard. It was supposed to be raising/planting fish in 2010.

There was some stocking done this year but ADFG was a little slow to get the data up on their website. You can do a search here: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...s.fishStocking. On the other hand there are fish in places that you wouldn't expect, so it might not hurt to get out there and "prospect" a little.

well made it to harding today, not a bad lake ,quiet. got my first alaskan pike today it was a fatty and fun on the ultralite. woulda fished longer but the cold got the best of us (wife got cold and wanted to go while i was ok with warmin up and goin back out) lesson learned need warmer boots haha. anyways i am now better equipped in the footware department and ready to get back out there. Might hit up some more lakes tomorrow since i will have her car(trucks outta commision) . i have peered through all the online info for many hours and i was wondering how accurate the species data was, seemed to find some inconsistencies. How small is small in Chena or bathing beauty? If i take the wife i think she would enjoy catching trout or salmon even if they are only 10" , better than sitting on the ice without a single bite. Also what alls in those lakes? Adfg says theres pike and kings in bathing beauty is this true?

If thats what fish and game says then thats probably whats in there. A lot of the fish in Chena lake are only 10", but if you stay shallow your wife can probably have a blast catching them left and right.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

I have heard about pike in the gravel pits in town. is there any in particular that would produce better than the rest at this time of year? What about access to them would i have to obtain permission first ? i dont wanna trespass. Also what about the sloughs at the end of cushman by the gun range and also at the end of the airport? any fish in them?

has anyone fished the gravel pits lately?