Thread: Pellet Stove experience

Default Pellet Stove experience

At my lodge in Bristol Bay where fire wood is very hard to come by I am putting in an alternate power system to have AC 24/7 and will be changing out my wood stove to a pellet stove. For as little as my season breaches the colder ends of it I only need to heat that end of the lodge for a few weeks. Shipping pellets out will be a lot easier to deal with on many levels as well as safer with clients around a wood stove. I am asking if there is any personal experience with pellet stoves to be shared, tips and things to shy away from. Thanks in advance.

George

I have seen pallets.. many pallets of pellets that have got wet and turned to mush... I have serious reservations about shipping and handleing of pellets and their survivability before use.

Lots of talk over the years about pellet stoves in Alaska, and I have yet to meet anyone who has one installed.

I know in the Oregon area they are popular due to their close proximity to saw mills ext.

for a couple of weeks need... I would think oil would be a much better option. It is heavy to ship but much more durable..

Just my .02 cents...

Happy Thanksgiving.

Tom

It's pretty easy to do a cost analysis of oil vs. pellets. In my opinion, you'd most likely better served with a couple Monitor or Toyo oil stoves than a pellet stove.

Pellet are 9000 BTU per pound. Fuel oil is roughly 20,000 BTU per pound. If both stoves are the same efficiency you would need to pay half the price of heating fuel per pound for pellets to work.

I worked with them for many years down south; you must keep the pellets dry and try not to use much of the saw dust at the bottom of the bag. Good quality pellets. Keep the blowers clean and oiled, free of dust and hair. Surge protector is a must or you can blow the circit board out.
    The biggest problem will be finding someone that knows how to fix it if and when it breaks. What type of pellet stove are you looking at? There are some good ones and cheap ones out there.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I have a pellet stove, I keep a 1200 sqaure ft room heated at 0-10 below for about 7 dollars a day. With fuel oil at 4.25 a gallon it's about 12 dollars a day to run it heating the other 1200 sqaure ft. When temps are in the 20s the pellet stove uses about 35 lbs a day. The pellet stove with pellets at 5.75 for 40 lbs and fuel at 4.25 a gallon the pellet stove is much cheaper to operate. There is stove cleaning and pellet loading. The monitor requires much less maint. But the pellets don't stink like fuel oil either. Weight wise fuel oil is a little less than half the weight for the amount of energy based on my experience using both at the same time.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

That's the big catch out in rural AK. Getting pellets out there might just be more expensive, but I have no clue what they pay to move stuff out there.

I have family and friends with pellet stoves, they're a great supplemental heat source for urban or suburban settings, but they're not well designed for remote use. There are plenty of other threads on this sub-forum that have already explained the many downsides to pellet stoves, so I don't need to repeat them.

What I'll add instead is that this need not be an either/or choice. Instead of "changing out your wood stove to a pellet stove" it would make more sense to keep the wood stove, then add a pellet stove if you still really want one. Just make sure you have a backup ready for when the darn thing inevitably quits on you.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

One other thing I have figured out is to use an old canister vacum specific for cleaning the pellet stove. The ash is very fine to keep the fire burning at it's best I cool it down every couple days and vacum under the fire box. It's amazing to burn a 100 pounds of compressed pellets and end up with only two cups of ash. I put the Vac outside for a couple hours after just to make sure there were no hot spots. Never had one yet.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Good input here, thanks. Bear in mind that last year I paid $8+ a gallon for deisel fuel so the cost ratio if I can get bulk rate for and keep it dry. I am trying to talk the village into looking into pellet stoves for the elders homes. Cheaper and cleaner than wood, less chance of fire related issues easier to handle material. Most if not all the wood we do get is beetle kill spruce so not that efficient.

I have to haul the fuel in 15 gal drums from the village. Not having enough wood for the fall cold season I paid $400. for a chord of unsplit wood and had to handle the wood 5 times before splitting then another two times after.

I am still thinking on the pellet stove but oil is a concideration. I am installing a Toyo at one end to replace a Perfection drip/carberated stove. Thanks for the input again.

George